Player Discussion: Alex Killorn

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wasn't directed at you only, the proposals in here are out to lunch.

A chance at a cup for a guy who has 2 doesn't move the needle one bit nor is it worth completely risking your future earnings. Like Palat - he can just sign to another team that's capable of going on a run and get paid at the same time.
I get that it would require a pretty intense desire to stay put. The other incentive would be, with the cap going up next year, we would be in a better position then to offer him better money on a retirement deal.

I'm not saying it's likely. I just think losing Killer is going to be a bigger blow to the team than a lot of people might realize, and wondering if there is any possible way to keep him.

I really wish Brian Burke's idea that teams could trade pure cap space would come in right about now.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I get that it would require a pretty intense desire to stay put. The other incentive would be, with the cap going up next year, we would be in a better position then to offer him better money on a retirement deal.

I'm not saying it's likely. I just think losing Killer is going to be a bigger blow to the team than a lot of people might realize, and wondering if there is any possible way to keep him.

I really wish Brian Burke's idea that teams could trade pure cap space would come in right about now.
Where exactly does the information come that the CAP is going up next year?

The Bally sports fiasco is not even settled yet. Sure they assured Bettman the games would be broadcast there is still a chance they falter like they did in March where they only paid MLb 141 million just half of what that payment was supposed to be. This affects 12 teams that could result in a 10 mil cap drop. If they do manage to make the payments revenue could make it back to 2018 levels. The problem is that last year’s attendance was 20,000 below 2018 levels the last full year before the cough cough. And the 23 numbers included Seattle attendance that was not there in 18. This is what we can count on in December Bettman will stride out and say the Cap is going up 4 mil just as he did last year then he starts walking it back. The few times the cap has increased 4 mil or more the league are the increase along with the escrow. At this point I can’t see either of them doing that again for the foreseeable future.

The league really needs an increase or the GM’s need to quit handing out the 8 to 11 million per contracts. I’m not sure what is going to happen by Dec when Bally has a payment due to nhl teams. But one thing is for sure advertising is down. There are only a few advertisers buying ads in each market, the few that do are getting mutiple ads we saw that all year seeing the same ad twice in each commercial break.

There are a lot of financial problems within the league. The markets that are able to broadcast or have stable situations with the companies carrying there games are reasonably safe but will still suffer due to a Bally failure or any of the other Diamond broadcasters who stepped out on there own trying to survive. Bally will continue blackouts this season and from what I have read you can purchase Bally + for an extra 20 bucks a month to see those games. Some of the teams are concerned that this will prevent locals coming to games. Notice I did not say Bolts fans but panther fans, Dallas fans, St Louis fans , Nashville fans will be in the group of attendance woes. Attendance alone does not pay all the bills but the profit from tickets sold is a major part. The whole situation is a huge mess, it is by no means settled, reminds me of a cease fire where you have the hope things are settled but in the end the fire could start back at any moment.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Where exactly does the information come that the CAP is going up next year?

The Bally sports fiasco is not even settled yet. Sure they assured Bettman the games would be broadcast there is still a chance they falter like they did in March where they only paid MLb 141 million just half of what that payment was supposed to be. This affects 12 teams that could result in a 10 mil cap drop. If they do manage to make the payments revenue could make it back to 2018 levels. The problem is that last year’s attendance was 20,000 below 2018 levels the last full year before the cough cough. And the 23 numbers included Seattle attendance that was not there in 18. This is what we can count on in December Bettman will stride out and say the Cap is going up 4 mil just as he did last year then he starts walking it back. The few times the cap has increased 4 mil or more the league are the increase along with the escrow. At this point I can’t see either of them doing that again for the foreseeable future.

The league really needs an increase or the GM’s need to quit handing out the 8 to 11 million per contracts. I’m not sure what is going to happen by Dec when Bally has a payment due to nhl teams. But one thing is for sure advertising is down. There are only a few advertisers buying ads in each market, the few that do are getting mutiple ads we saw that all year seeing the same ad twice in each commercial break.

There are a lot of financial problems within the league. The markets that are able to broadcast or have stable situations with the companies carrying there games are reasonably safe but will still suffer due to a Bally failure or any of the other Diamond broadcasters who stepped out on there own trying to survive. Bally will continue blackouts this season and from what I have read you can purchase Bally + for an extra 20 bucks a month to see those games. Some of the teams are concerned that this will prevent locals coming to games. Notice I did not say Bolts fans but panther fans, Dallas fans, St Louis fans , Nashville fans will be in the group of attendance woes. Attendance alone does not pay all the bills but the profit from tickets sold is a major part. The whole situation is a huge mess, it is by no means settled, reminds me of a cease fire where you have the hope things are settled but in the end the fire could start back at any moment.
I believe it's out there that the cap is suppose to rise by 2m next year and then 4 the year after. It has been a stagnant cap because the players are catching up on what they owe the owners to get to 50-50 after covid (players ddint lose money, owners did) if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Hoek

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I just can't believe in the age of streaming we're still relying on regional sports networks, but also I get it, doing these things in house requires know how, infrastructure, and likely a small army of sales people to sell advertising.

Reactions: Byrddog

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah... it's an uphill fight. Somebody's gonna offer him close to 6, IMO. Especially in this class.

At the same time, good for Killer. That's one of the best contracts we've ever signed and he deserves to get paid now.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Or any sane person would see we kept a 64 point player over a 32 point one.
Don’t you dare use facts…. Everything must be emotional on hf. JBB has to do what is necessary now to sign Killer. I just hope Ross does not go all Verhaghe. I like Colton too hope he does well but right now there was just no proof he could replace Killer for that matter there’s no one in the pipeline that could approach 70 points in the next couple years and due to Jeanott trade the pipeline will have cob webs for about 4 years and that’s optimistic that JBB holds on to future picks and they pan out. It’s dangerous to sign Killer to 4 years but what other options does he have. Unless Stammer has already indicated he’s gonna hang them up.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
i think it's pretty obvious we're headed toward mediocrity, with the penguins-esque next couple of years of first round flame-outs, so for this i kinda just want killorn to ride off and hope we can actually have some salary cap room for once at the deadline.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But 34 years old vs 27 years old
A 34 year old who just had a career year and probably has one or two good years left. The 27 year old has only shown potential.

It's the old joke: he might turn into anything! Even a Killorn.

We aren't yet in a position to worry about the next era of the TB Lightning if it costs the current TB Lightning another run.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
A 34 year old who just had a career year and probably has one or two good years left. The 27 year old has only shown potential.

It's the old joke: he might turn into anything! Even a Killorn.

We aren't yet in a position to worry about the next era of the TB Lightning if it costs the current TB Lightning another run.
Thats not fair, Colton is a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. Thats something for sure, even if you think/hope/wish more was there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thats not fair, Colton is a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. Thats something for sure, even if you think/hope/wish more was there.
Not saying it's not. Just weighing him against Killorn in a situation where one guy has to go, for a team trying to win now.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Not saying it's not. Just weighing him against Killorn in a situation where one guy has to go, for a team trying to win now.
Thats fair and understandable, I just hate to say that Colton was just a guy that never reached potential, etc... he produced and well, hate to see him go but I also get it, he has the best value and control left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad