Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Nope , not from what I've seen.
They're really doing good from what I've seen. Apart from a few mistakes and the TB game, they're playing a good possession game. It's only a matter of time before they start scoring goals.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Nobody has impressed me more than Chucky this season

Biggest difference is his confidence and physical play - quietly leading the forwards in hits - no they're not on the Scott Stevens scale of hits but they're effective especially when forechecking

Last year he seemed to chase the player more with just his stick and lost the battle - or worse took a lazy penalty - where now he's keeping his feet moving and cutting off the player along the boards

I'm also pretty happy I went against my own code and drafted with my heart in our pool and took Alex with my final pick

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Remember when Plekanec was the young kid next to #27?

Now he's the old guy next to a different #27.

Now I feel old :(

I remember when Steve Penney wowed us during the playoffs just before Roy came and stole his thunder...does that make me old'ish?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I remember when Steve Penney wowed us during the playoffs just before Roy came and stole his thunder...does that make me old'ish?

I was a huge Penny fan, he was going to be better than sliced bread.

Back on topic, last night when I was watching the game, I thought Pleks should cheat the **** out of every face off because if he gets kicked out, Chuckie can take the draw.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was a huge Penny fan, he was going to be better than sliced bread.

Back on topic, last night when I was watching the game, I thought Pleks should cheat the **** out of every face off because if he gets kicked out, Chuckie can take the draw.

Parenteau's been taking the draws, for whatever reason.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Parenteau's been taking the draws, for whatever reason.

the only thing that I didn't like from that line^^.

There is one thing this year that is present with galchenyuk, which wasn't there the previous year.

I do no know how to describe it exactly so I will use this image:
When he receives the puck, every fan is a little bit more attentive, because there is something in the air telling us that something extraordinary could happen at any moment, that he could basically pass every opposing defender to close on in a helpless goalie, only to deke him out of the net and roof it, as an icing on the cake.

Basically, he is starting to have the aura of a superstar, that only one other skater has in the Habs' squad: P.K. Subban.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
the only thing that I didn't like from that line^^.

Unless I didn't notice something about the side on which Parenteau was taking the draws. It would make sense to do on the right side on a D-zone draw. But, I don't think I missed something. It just seems like Parenteau's taking the draws. Wtf, Michel?

There is one thing this year that is present with galchenyuk, which wasn't there the previous year.

I do no know how to describe it exactly so I will use this image:
When he receives the puck, every fan is a little bit more attentive, because there is something in the air telling us that something extraordinary could happen at any moment, that he could basically pass every opposing defender to close on in a helpless goalie, only to deke him out of the net and roof it, as an icing on the cake.

Basically, he is starting to have the aura of a superstar, that only one other skater has in the Habs' squad: P.K. Subban.

You can see a subtle difference in his movements: a new energy. Martha Argerich described it as the ''energy of the crazy.'' This is the year for him, if he doesn't get injured.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Unless I didn't notice something about the side on which Parenteau was taking the draws. It would make sense to do on the right side on a D-zone draw. But, I don't think I missed something. It just seems like Parenteau's taking the draws. Wtf, Michel?

Doesn't have anything to do with Therrien. The only things I can think of are:
1. PAP has experience.
2. Chukie has better wheels to jump in the play (help retrieve the puck off a tied face-off)

You can see a subtle difference in his movements: a new energy. Martha Argerich described it as the ''energy of the crazy.'' This is the year for him, if he doesn't get injured.

It feels oh so good to be a Habs fan now man ;). I swear to you everytime the puck arrives on his stick, my eyes light up like a 14 year old girl in front of her favorite pop star.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Doesn't have anything to do with Therrien. The only things I can think of are:
1. PAP has experience.
2. Chukie has better wheels to jump in the play (help retrieve the puck off a tied face-off)

It just pisses me off that Galchenyuk is always moved onto the wing because of the lack of abilities of other players. In Sarnia it was because Sarault was ''just a center.'' In USA WJC, Trochek was ''just a center.'' Here ''Desharnais can't play on the wing'' among other excuses. Now Parenteau can't scramble off the draw?

This is a good way for Chucky to get experience. He should be taking those draws, as much as possible.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
It just pisses me off that Galchenyuk is always moved onto the wing because of the lack of abilities of other players. In Sarnia it was because Sarault was ''just a center.'' In USA WJC, Trochek was ''just a center.'' Here ''Desharnais can't play on the wing'' among other excuses. Now Parenteau can't scramble off the draw?

This is a good way for Chucky to get experience. He should be taking those draws, as much as possible.

Don't worry about it that much. Except for the face-off, look at the positioning the line has in play. He's playing like the center of that line, holding the puck and dishing it.
On the defensive side, there's no rush to put him there, he's with one of the 10 best defensive forwards of the world, he can use watching him as they evolve on the rink at the same time.

Therrien is not crazy, he's paid millions to take everything into account and make all the players blossom to the fullest of their ability. He's perfectly aware that Galchenyuk has the highest ceiling of them all, and I believe he just wants to mold him right for future years.

Even if he stays on the wing, what is the tragedy? Sure we could use a big center, but the spirit of committee is doing the job just fine. He'll have an incredible impact whether he goes to center or stays on the wing.

Oct 22, 2012
Don't worry about it that much. Except for the face-off, look at the positioning the line has in play. He's playing like the center of that line, holding the puck and dishing it.
On the defensive side, there's no rush to put him there, he's with one of the 10 best defensive forwards of the world, he can use watching him as they evolve on the rink at the same time.

Therrien is not crazy, he's paid millions to take everything into account and make all the players blossom to the fullest of their ability. He's perfectly aware that Galchenyuk has the highest ceiling of them all, and I believe he just wants to mold him right for future years.

Even if he stays on the wing, what is the tragedy? Sure we could use a big center, but the spirit of committee is doing the job just fine. He'll have an incredible impact whether he goes to center or stays on the wing.

What catches my eye this year is his tempo. Anytime he grabs a puck he is in motion or its just a couple quick strides and he is moving the puck to the open man, making that high percentage play. I'm not overly concerned about a drop off in points, his increased TOI with his step forward in development should keep him going.

They showed alot of him Malhotra on the latest 24ch episode working on faceoffs as well.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
What catches my eye this year is his tempo. Anytime he grabs a puck he is in motion or its just a couple quick strides and he is moving the puck to the open man, making that high percentage play. I'm not overly concerned about a drop off in points, his increased TOI with his step forward in development should keep him going.

On his breakaway out of the box vs colorado, I was certain he was gonna pull that move, and almost certain he would pull it off.

I remember him doing a similar move against Fleury and the Pens in a losing cause :

(Youtube video doesn't work when I put it in the , anybody knows why?)

Edit: Thanks man, may I say you are clearly the best Canadian JB? :P

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2012
No problemo, I knew exactly what goal you were talking about. Hertl pulled the same thing on Halak this weekend.

I like it, not only because his movements and release are elite, but also because he positions his body as to say I'm going backhand. If goalies start catching on and then cheat far side, he still has to tools to go backhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad