Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
62-67 points for Chucky.

Dude was one of the top players in P/60 last year when he was at center. I see no reason why he'd regress this year now that he'll be playing with real top-line wingers.

Therrien will probably move him to LW after 10 games because in the 10th game he went 0g 0a 0pts -1 after having gone 3g-6a-9pts +4 in the first 9 games :shakehead

That's why I think he may not reach expectations. If he keeps him where he belongs at C I think he could do the 62-67pts.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Therrien will probably move him to LW after 10 games because in the 10th game he went 0g 0a 0pts -1 after having gone 3g-6a-9pts +4 in the first 9 games :shakehead

That's why I think he may not reach expectations. If he keeps him where he belongs at C I think he could do the 62-67pts.

I don't think there's anyway that happens lol.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I don't think there's anyway that happens lol.

Lets just say I would not look like this.
o-rly-640x474_0.jpg

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He was also pure **** for a massive chunk of the season though. Just finished at a ridiculous pace that would be almost impossible to sustain.

He absolutely was not. He was our leading scorer from about late november to early january, for example. Meanwhile, he was playing 13-14 minutes per night. As a reward for that he was given to DD to ''get him going.'' But pretty consistently, Galchenyuk was getting more goals, assists and shots than his ice time would suggest, by a lot.

Jeesus Price. The Habs scored around as many goals last year as they did the previous year when they finished second in the league. What killed the club was goals AGAINST.

When some of us say that Galchenyuk was horribad-putrid in Dec-January, we include defence. In fact, it was MAINLY his defence that stunk. It<s true that he still got some chances to score reasonably often.

There was a stretch of games where he would put up a point and be on the ice for 3 and 4 goals against, not just by fluke, but rather being involved in plays where he just did not do his job covering people.

This part of his game needs to get much better if he wants to get 18+ minutes per game on a competitive team. I think it can, but he needs to work on it, because he won't get the same rope if we are in a race for home-ice advantage for instance, instead of for a lottery pick.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Jeesus Price. The Habs scored around as many goals last year as they did the previous year when they finished second in the league. What killed the club was goals AGAINST.

First 20: 69 goals (2nd)
First 41 (January 6th): 117 goals (3rd)
Next 20 (January 7th - February 28th): 47 goals (27th)
Final 41: 99 goals (25th)

The hot start is why they scored as many goals they did the previous year. After that they couldn't muster much. To go from the 3rd most goals in the league in your first 41 to the 25th most goals in your last 41, there's no celebrating their goal scoring ability.

(In comparison, Montreal had 106 goals in their first 41 in 14-15, and 108 goals in the next 41.)

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
First 20: 69 goals (2nd)
First 41 (January 6th): 117 goals (3rd)
Next 20 (January 7th - February 28th): 47 goals (27th)
Final 41: 99 goals (25th)

The hot start is why they scored as many goals they did the previous year. After that they couldn't muster much. To go from the 3rd most goals in the league in your first 41 to the 25th most goals in your last 41, there's no celebrating their goal scoring ability.

(In comparison, Montreal had 106 goals in their first 41 in 14-15, and 108 goals in the next 41.)

They also suffered the majority of their injuries during the final 41 games and traded Weise and Fleischmen. Lots of AHL guys in the line up.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Nnnnope. I don't expect you to grasp this, but if you just look at total number of goals scored, you really lose the picture of what happened. We scored a lot of goals in the first month and a half. Like, we were some double digits of GF ahead of second place Dallas before the walls started caving in. During the time when we actually lost the season, our GF was literally the worst in the league. We averaged 1 GPG for over a month. ONE. When you average it all out, though, it looks like we scored a respectable amount. Not when it mattered we didn't.

When some of us say that Galchenyuk was horribad-putrid in Dec-January, we include defence. In fact, it was MAINLY his defence that stunk. It<s true that he still got some chances to score reasonably often.

He was our leading scorer during a period when we couldn't buy a goal, and nearly 1ppg. Meanwhile, noted defensive stalwart Desharnais got like, 1 point during that month playing 18-19 minutes per night. #rosterdecisions

The point that I was making is that I, and others, predicted that Galchenyuk would explode when given more ice time. You did not. We were right. You were wrong.

There was a stretch of games where he would put up a point and be on the ice for 3 and 4 goals against, not just by fluke, but rather being involved in plays where he just did not do his job covering people.

This part of his game needs to get much better if he wants to get 18+ minutes per game on a competitive team. I think it can, but he needs to work on it, because he won't get the same rope if we are in a race for home-ice advantage for instance, instead of for a lottery pick.

We are a better team with him as our first line center. You didn't seem to get that when he was scoring 2 goals per game. I don't expect you to concede that point now.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Just wanted to bump this thread. First, what an insane goal last night. Second, boy am I happy this kid fell to us at 3rd overall pick in 2012. Yakupov is gone for a couple of pennies in Edmonton.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We are a better team with him as our first line center. You didn't seem to get that when he was scoring 2 goals per game. I don't expect you to concede that point now.

Then you are not paying attention. I'm in favour of him being #1 center, I just said he needs to be conscious of his defence. There is not a coach in the league who will say it's ok to give only half-effort out there.

Furthermore, I also said that I believe Alex is CAPABLE of improving his defence.

Finally, I see that in the pre-season Chucky's defensive play has indeed improved, and I find it interesting that MT has given him a few shifts on PK to help him hone those instincts. Smart move.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It looks like Galchenyuk will be killing penalties this year. You know you are a complete player when you can play in every situation.
I noticed his skating seems to have improved. He looks quicker.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It looks like Galchenyuk will be killing penalties this year. You know you are a complete player when you can play in every situation.
I noticed his skating seems to have improved. He looks quicker.

He looks like a beast out there, players are bouncing off of him and he's just dangling through everything. His speed seems much improved as well I agree.

He's finally filling out his potential, he may end up a top 10/15 C in this league.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
He looks like a beast out there, players are bouncing off of him and he's just dangling through everything. His speed seems much improved as well I agree.

He's finally filling out his potential, he may end up a top 10/15 C in this league.

I see his game as comparable to Backstrom's minus the 60 goal scorer on his wing.

But with Pacioretty he could put up big numbers too.

the big difference for me is Galchenyuk has a deadlier shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad