Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He was also pure **** for a massive chunk of the season though. Just finished at a ridiculous pace that would be almost impossible to sustain.

He was also playing with AHLers and a center playing out of position and clearly not comfortable for most of the season. And he was not pure ****. In december he was probably the best forward we had. But he was playing with Eller, Carr and Gheto. When Semin was gone he played a fair amount of games with DSP, Flynn and Byron.

Even Crosby would struggle a little bit playing with the wingers AG played at the beginning of the last season.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He was also pure **** for a massive chunk of the season though. Just finished at a ridiculous pace that would be almost impossible to sustain.

He was getting SO many chances at the beginning of the year that he just couldnt bury. He was either hitting a post, getting robbed or just plain flubbing them(this was the most common occurrence from what I remember). I really felt though it was only a matter of time and I was impressed with the chances he was generating for himself. That's really half the battle.

I'm gonna remain cautious with him.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax

This is false.

His production per minute was quite good even aside from his post-deadline streak. And that's without going into detail about his linemates.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I dunno, I hate to say it but I think we're going to be underwhelmed with his "breakout" season this year. I'm just not sold on him being more than what he has been.

79GP 22-31-53

Prove me wrong, Alex.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I dunno, I hate to say it but I think we're going to be underwhelmed with his "breakout" season this year. I'm just not sold on him being more than what he has been.

79GP 22-31-53

Prove me wrong, Alex.
I think he will. I'm expecting a career year from him. All that has to happen is for the coach to get the hell out of his way.

If we use him in a first line role it will be like adding two top forwards because he and Radulov logging big minutes will help us tremendously up front as will Muller's PP tactics.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

79GP 22-31-53

Prove me wrong, Alex.

From the 2nd line it's gonna be very good stats actually. I doubt he is used as a real first line center by this coach (between 17 and 18 minutes ES+PP). Last year he played 16 minutes a game on average so his 30 goals and 56 points were very very very very good.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

79GP 22-31-53

Prove me wrong, Alex.

I agree with you.

I think he could score a few more points than 53, but ultimately I don't think he'll be the #1C we were hoping for. I think he'll be a Mikko Koivu level player once all is said and done (though better offensively, not as good defensively). Hope I'm wrong and he breaks out this year. He has yet to have a full year at C with good wingers, so I'm not putting a ceiling on him just yet.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

79GP 22-31-53

Prove me wrong, Alex.
I'm just curious really...how does one come to predict that a player will miss 3 games in a season?

Predicting production, I can understand. No matter what you can prorate. But missed games??..loll..I don't see it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm just curious really...how does one come to predict that a player will miss 3 games in a season?

Predicting production, I can understand. No matter what you can prorate. But missed games??..loll..I don't see it.

The stat line looked more real with the 79GP. :dunno: I never checked his history but looking back the last 3 seasons he's played 65,80,82 games. So 3 games healthy scratch for partying.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
62-67 points for Chucky.

Dude was one of the top players in P/60 last year when he was at center. I see no reason why he'd regress this year now that he'll be playing with real top-line wingers.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
If he plays with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk all year I see no reason why he can't better last year's numbers.

I see something ~31g40a.

That's a lot of assists, but I see him getting assists on a boatload of Pacioretty and Gallagher goals at even strength and the chance to set up Weber and Radulov on the powerplay...

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Anything under 65-70 points would be a disappointing season for 27. He's looking at an extra 2:00 of icetime from his 16:16 last season and actual decent linemates with a full season from Gallagher who was on pace for 61 points last year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

He absolutely was not. He was our leading scorer from about late november to early january, for example. Meanwhile, he was playing 13-14 minutes per night. As a reward for that he was given to DD to ''get him going.'' But pretty consistently, Galchenyuk was getting more goals, assists and shots than his ice time would suggest, by a lot.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If he plays with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk all year I see no reason why he can't better last year's numbers.

I see something ~31g40a.

That's a lot of assists, but I see him getting assists on a boatload of Pacioretty and Gallagher goals at even strength and the chance to set up Weber and Radulov on the powerplay...

I can see him finishing with around 35 goals with Patches getting more assists now that he's not the only shooting weapon on his line.

If Galchenyuk's accuracy wasn't complete **** last season for the first three months or so he probably could have scored 35-40.

He was dangerous all season, but the finish came later on.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I can see him finishing with around 35 goals with Patches getting more assists now that he's not the only shooting weapon on his line.

If Galchenyuk's accuracy wasn't complete **** last season for the first three months or so he probably could have scored 35-40.

Accurate.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He was also playing with AHLers and a center playing out of position and clearly not comfortable for most of the season. And he was not pure ****. In december he was probably the best forward we had. But he was playing with Eller, Carr and Gheto. When Semin was gone he played a fair amount of games with DSP, Flynn and Byron.

Even Crosby would struggle a little bit playing with the wingers AG played at the beginning of the last season.

So the hot streak is unsustainable, but the cold streak is normal and repeatable?

Good to know! :teach:

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Lmao "pure ****". Please.

Maybe my memory is foggy because the whole team was basically pure **** for a massive chunk of the season, but I recall a LOT of games where Galchenyuk would constantly miss golden opportunities and couldn't hit the net to save his life + trying too hard to deke around everyone like it was junior hockey.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Massive chunk?

October: 8 in 12
November: 10 in 13
December: 8 in 14
January: 2 in 11
February: 9 in 13
March: 15 in 15
April: 4 in 4

I guess we could call 10 in 25 (December/January) "pure ****" but I have trouble calling it a massive chunk. I guess people forget he had 18 points in his first 25 games playing with Eller and Semin. It was December/January that Therrien put DD back with Pacioretty and had Galchenyuk playing wing for the most part. Even when DD got hurt he didn't put Chuck back at centre for two games (McCarron got the spot first) and then Chuck got the call and started tearing it up.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Revisionist theory 101.

Habs' best forward last season, and most consistent save for Gallagher.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I'd say that sums it up well. He just for whatever reason couldn't find the net for a while. Overall though he was our best forward last year by far.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Maybe my memory is foggy because the whole team was basically pure **** for a massive chunk of the season, but I recall a LOT of games where Galchenyuk would constantly miss golden opportunities and couldn't hit the net to save his life + trying too hard to deke around everyone like it was junior hockey.

You would have needed to pay very close attention to him to notice it, but I and others had predicted his late season breakout (though, not to the extent that actually happened) just by noting that he was like top 80 in shots while close to 200th in ice time. Even with his ludicrous hot streak his shooting percentage last season was 1-2% higher than his career average. When he started getting ice time, he broke out. But before that he was playing well.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Sometimes, the mark of a top scorer is precisely that they can look crappy for 95% of a game, but with enough ice time, the puck still winds up in the net. But cut a player's icetime under 15 minutes, and very few players can produce even 60 points.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Galchy's most proven skill so far is as a shooter.

That's why I don't have too much faith in a Pax/Galchy/Gally line, I mean who's the playmaker?

I'd feel better about a Galchy/Radulov duo to start with. I'd really like to see that.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Not sure what you mean by ''putting it all together'' after a 30 goal season.

I believe Alex had a breakthrough season, one in which confidence in his abilities to be a leader in NHL play, is his to draw on when the need exists.

Tell that to any of those players that are now HOFers, the Richard, Howe, Beliveau, Hull, Esposito, Orr, Lafleur, Perreault, Dionne, Gretzky, Lemieux, types of NHL leaders.

He was getting SO many chances at the beginning of the year that he just couldnt bury. He was either hitting a post, getting robbed or just plain flubbing them(this was the most common occurrence from what I remember). I really felt though it was only a matter of time and I was impressed with the chances he was generating for himself. That's really half the battle.

I'm gonna remain cautious with him.

I will remain quite confident in Alex's abilities to be an NHL leader type, I have witnessed so many in my yrs. as a Habs fan / Hockey fan.

This is false.

His production per minute was quite good even aside from his post-deadline streak. And that's without going into detail about his linemates.

Galchenyuk's ability to excel will only be enhanced by having a more skilled team about him, as one would expect.

Galchy's most proven skill so far is as a shooter.

That's why I don't have too much faith in a Pax/Galchy/Gally line, I mean who's the playmaker?

I'd feel better about a Galchy/Radulov duo to start with. I'd really like to see that.

I would say all three can be either playmaker or finisher, as are many Habs this season, adding Radulov, Lehkonen, Shaw, possibly Hudon, McCarron etc. the team's strength will be felt throughout the lineup. Elite teams can count on scoring from each line, that's not saying every line is a 1st line, as people like to say about Team Canada. Every line has it's role, scoring is a by-product of their efficiency, as is defensive play.

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad