Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm not worried about him at all. But he's not NHL ready right now.

Yakupov had an abysmal tournament as well. Does that make him not NHL ready either?

I'm curious because I only remember a very very small sample size of this board saying this kind of stuff prior to this tournament when he was the most dominating player in the CHL.

He'll be in the NHL next season, and that would be the right call. This season is a toss-up, I'd lean towards leaving him in junior mostly to assess some of our pro guys and see where it is exactly we stand as a team, who needs to stay and who needs to go.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Gally was playing like a soccer player just positioning himself in little pockets but rarely received the puck back in order to open other linemates back.. i get it. But when you see it doesnt work.. you try to adjust he didnt do it.. whenever its because he couldnt do it or didnt want to do it is irrelevant. I am convinced the bigger surface didnt help him.. he seems like a cerebral player who slows down the play pass it and be well positioned whe he gets the puck back.

I dont know... i sure hope if a season occurs he gets tested a lot with smarter nhl players who will actually follow his flow of the game or he can follow the flow of more structured players.

He could still be nhl ready.. but if he isnt well so be it.

Galchenyuk is a freakin centerman. I hope he is used that way in Sarnia even if he ends up losing his 2 wingers. If Goldobin-Sarault and Boucher are staying together, the worst case scenario would be to have Gally play on the wing of whatever.....If he has to play with relatively unkknown guys might as well make him a centerman and let him do his thing.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And again, people will be divided between two groups. One that think he's a future superstar, who didn't play well because of Kuraly/Housley, and another one who believes he was the wrong pick and that we should have drafted future hall of famers like Rielly and Grigorenko.

I was/am a big Grigo supporter before the draft, wouldn't of been upset if the Habs drafted him. That being said, I am convinced the Habs brass made the right choice. Nothing in this tournament made me think otherwise.

As for Reilly, lol. I was not impressed given the expectation of the best prospect from the 2012 draft. At this point looks somewhat uni-dimensional, a Gardiner type, good wheels, go offense but very average defense and physical play. On the last Russian goal he had an opportunity to hit Nishkuskin, but visibly was not interested in taking him on.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Galchenyuk will most likely not play today, but will he play tomorrow against Niagara IceDogs?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It's a good point, we can't forget that this was big ice hockey when analyzing this...

Tak, there's no way. He may not even be back in North America by tomorrow afternoon.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
A_2zizPCAAAQSzP.jpg

#Goldchenyuk

Game

Sep 18, 2010
Montreal, Qc
I dont know... i sure hope if a season occurs he gets tested a lot with smarter nhl players who will actually follow his flow of the game or he can follow the flow of more structured players.

He could still be nhl ready.. but if he isnt well so be it.

I agree. I'd like to see what Gally can do paired with a guy like Plekanec & Gionta. Those are two experienced, hard working players that can show Galchenyuk the way.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Galchenyuk is a freakin centerman. I hope he is used that way in Sarnia even if he ends up losing his 2 wingers. If Goldobin-Sarault and Boucher are staying together, the worst case scenario would be to have Gally play on the wing of whatever.....If he has to play with relatively unkknown guys might as well make him a centerman and let him do his thing.

Maybe.. he surely is a great playmaker but he needs to be more active out there.. he was positioning himself but he looked like he was almost floating out there. He needs to keep skating keep finding new holes while being more active.. maybe housley had the impression he didnt care enough i dont know.. maybe he didnt like the american russian kid with the russian accent. Lol

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Yakupov had an abysmal tournament as well. Does that make him not NHL ready either?

Well for one Yakupov isn't a center, and some people on this board insist that Galchenyuk play as a center at all times. He would get eaten alive at C right now.

They also have something of the opposite problem. Galchenyuk still thinks a little too slowly, Yakupov needs to slow it down.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They also have something of the opposite problem. Galchenyuk still thinks a little too slowly, Yakupov needs to slow it down.

We are not watching the same game. I thought that this was he greatest quality of the tournament and his line mates could not follow. He already thinks a pro game.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Well for one Yakupov isn't a center, and some people on this board insist that Galchenyuk play as a center at all times. He would get eaten alive at C right now.

Care to elaborate?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Care to elaborate?

I just feel like playing center is more complicated, plus the Habs have wingers with limited skill and almost no creativity, not the kind of players Gally can learn from considering his game.

We are not watching the same game. I thought that this was he greatest quality of the tournament and his line mates could not follow. He already thinks a pro game.

But I felt like he struggled with the North-South game his teammates played. He thought faster than his teammates when it was him making the plays, but his decision making was not on par with what was going on around him IMO.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
But I felt like he struggled with the North-South game his teammates played. He thought faster than his teammates when it was him making the plays, but his decision making was not on par with what was going on around him IMO.

Yes....he struggled with the North-South game (read: the grinder's game). So if you bring him to play with Blunden and Moen, you will have a harder time finding some positives. The Pacioretty argument should be used for Gally as well. "Don't bring me up if it's to make me play on your bottom 6. At least, I'd use that this year. Next year...he will have nothing to learn in Juniors.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Yes....he struggled with the North-South game (read: the grinder's game). So if you bring him to play with Blunden and Moen, you will have a harder time finding some positives. The Pacioretty argument should be used for Gally as well. "Don't bring me up if it's to make me play on your bottom 6. At least, I'd use that this year. Next year...he will have nothing to learn in Juniors.

Well, the problem is with the Habs winger depth, the bottom 6 is essentially the bottom 9. See Plekanec last year and Eller for the past 2 years.

Personally I want him to finish the season in juniors. There probably won't be a season this year anyway so it's a non-issue. Next year is another story...but unless this team is seriously overhauled, he might be best off on the wings.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
I just feel like playing center is more complicated, plus the Habs have wingers with limited skill and almost no creativity, not the kind of players Gally can learn from considering his game.

So you mean in the NHL? If so, then I'd agree with that. Ease him in at wing first.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Agreed, I would love to see him play with Pleks and Gionta for his 9 game trial. I would prefer that to Bourque.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

He was not put in a position to excel in this tournament, the fact that a player like Galchenyuk struggled in this situation isn't entirely hard to fathom really. He's playing on a larger ice surface and his acceleration isn't elite, that's a knock. He's playing with strictly north-south players, as you alluded to, whose game's are not exactly anywhere near Galchenyuk's in terms of vision or skillset, so that's a knock. He didn't get a lot of ice time relative to the guys that did outproduce him (who were older), so that's a knock.

The first game Gally looked dominant, then we saw afterwards his play tailed off for a while. He's been extremely used to being the coach's #1 player, the go-to guy when the game is on the line and offense is needed. He was not that guy for Housley, he wasn't even a Top 5 guy for Housley. It's not hard to think this could have had a negative impact on his psyche. The positive to draw from that is that he'll be accustomed to that now when he's in the NHL, because his first season (or perhaps longer) he will not be the Hab's #1 offensive weapon and he'll have to learn his place in these situations.

He had a mediocre tournament. He was the most dominant player in the CHL prior to the tournament. How many points could Galchenyuk have put up if he was playing with Scheifele and Drouin/Huberdeau? Would we still be having this conversation?

People are blowing this WJC out of proportions.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well, the problem is with the Habs winger depth, the bottom 6 is essentially the bottom 9. See Plekanec last year and Eller for the past 2 years.

Personally I want him to finish the season in juniors. There probably won't be a season this year anyway so it's a non-issue. Next year is another story...but unless this team is seriously overhauled, he might be best off on the wings.

So you mean in the NHL? If so, then I'd agree with that. Ease him in at wing first.

Not sure he'll be "eased" on the wing. I'd "ease" him next year on a 4th line but at center with limited minutes, you know like a real 4th line should be about. And he should get some PP#2 as well to get him going. He's not going to be eased on the wing when his first steps will be exposed. This is the type of players that skates well while he's already going. One of the reasons why being always in movement like a centerman is is better for him. We keep looking for a nice size centerman might as well start immediately (next year) to start him at that position. Yes, he'll play with pluggers but 4th line NHL pluggers will already be better than the Kuraly of this world who will never make it.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Wow you guys... Blaming USA coaching and his linemates (USA was the best team btw) . Let just admit he didn't look as awesome as we hoped, no big deal

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Wow you guys... Blaming USA coaching and his linemates. Let just admit he didn't look as awesome as we hoped, no big deal

:shakehead

You think coaching and line mates don't have an effect on players performances? It's not the whole picture... But there is plenty of evidence of this happening all the time, in any league. So your totally out to lunch if you think this wasn't a factor at all.

hogtownhabsfan*

Gally should probably be in the AHL, but obviously that can't happen.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
A_2_TLkCUAAd1NP.jpg

Alex galchenyuk ‏@AGally94
I wanna thank my family for coming over to Ufa and supporting us ! I can't believe this!WE are the BEST in the world DAAA BESTTT #usahockey

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
I was disappointed in Galchenyuk's play up until the game against Canada. He realized that he's going to be used in the role of an grinder/energy player and started playing like one. It shows that he's willing to do what it takes for his team to win.

Hopefully he comes back to Sarnia with vengeance though, I kind of miss watching him score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad