Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
So should we create a new thread for the Gally vs Collby game tomorrow morning or just have the discussion spill into 2 or 3 threads?

Habs #1 pick gets WJC gold, #2 pick gets WJC silver, or the other way around. Seems thread-worthy, no?

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Sarault tied Galchenyuk for 3rd in OHL scoring with 61 points tonight. They just keep on scoring without Galchenyuk. Although they have been getting scored on a ton lately.

Also, Goldobin is unreal. Since being promoted the first line he has 7 goals and 2 assists.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Sarault tied Galchenyuk for 3rd in OHL scoring with 61 points tonight. They just keep on scoring without Galchenyuk. Although they have been getting scored on a ton lately.

Also, Goldobin is unreal. Since being promoted the first line he has 7 goals and 2 assists.

Galchenyuk centering Goldobin would be awesome.

PricePkPatch*

So, I guess no more talks of "trading Galchenyuk to another OHL team"?

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
The success of Boucher and Sarault without Galchenyuk should increase the chances of it happening, even if it's probably very small, one would think. The Sting could have 2 very good lines if they wanted it.

But say it did lead Beaulieu to try that, would he take Goldobin off the top line and pair him Galchenyuk, or we he feel inclined to leave him there and not touch what is already succeeding. At that point, you are left with:`

Goldobin-Sarault-Boucher
???-Galchenyuk-???

Who do you stick on Gally's wings, if you don't want to break up the new 1st line? Do you take Nikandrov off C and place him on the wing? No, he's good at his position and has great chemistry with Goldobin... but Goldobin is now on the 1st line.

I think it's too much of a hassle. Keep Gally on the 1st line with Sarault and Boucher and continue to have Goldobin and Nikandrov work as a killer duo. Brown is coming into his own as well.

Can't wait to watch Galchenyuk play with the Sting again.

PricePkPatch*

But say it did lead Beaulieu to try that, would he take Goldobin off the top line and pair him Galchenyuk, or we he feel inclined to leave him there and not touch what is already succeeding. At that point, you are left with:`

Goldobin-Sarault-Boucher
???-Galchenyuk-???

Who do you stick on Gally's wings, if you don't want to break up the new 1st line? Do you take Nikandrov off C and place him on the wing? No, he's good at his position and has great chemistry with Goldobin... but Goldobin is now on the 1st line.

I think it's too much of a hassle. Keep Gally on the 1st line with Sarault and Boucher and continue to have Goldobin and Nikandrov work as a killer duo. Brown is coming into his own as well.

Can't wait to watch Galchenyuk play with the Sting again.

Maybe they can trade for Kuraly?

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
So it's a "fact" now that Galchenyuk's acceleration is "poor"? Relative to who, Ryan Hartman?! That's just an erroneous statement, and it cuts deep(lol) because Buddha is easily one of my favorite posters here and someone I very rarely disagree with. Galchenyuk has very deceptive speed, he can take off on the drop of a dime, and he's great at accelerating even when he's dug in(a little Plekanec-like), which can really freeze a defenseman. We all want him to have "Yakupov like" acceleration but that's just not his game. There is room for improvement but he is still explosive though, trust me.

I think what 417 was saying in the last thread really nailed it. Galchenyuk is so far ahead of his peers(Kuraly & cie) at thinking the game. I just can't wait to see him with guys that possess as much hockey IQ and talent as he does.

We shouldn't look at this tournament and expect Galchenyuk to do everything by himself. The tourney is loaded with great players, and they know to key in on him. The style he plays, he will only be as good as his linemates. He's a "give and go" player, yet he's giving and they're already gone. In essence, he's had to change his game for the US, to be more of a grinder and really pick his spots to slow the game down. It's all he's got really, if he takes over too often, then Kuraly may end up 10 feet offside more regularly! :facepalm:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So it's a "fact" now that Galchenyuk's acceleration is "poor"? Relative to who, Ryan Hartman?! That's just an erroneous statement, and it cuts deep(lol) because Buddha is easily one of my favorite posters here and someone I very rarely disagree with. Galchenyuk has very deceptive speed, he can take off on the drop of a dime, and he's great at accelerating even when he's dug in(a little Plekanec-like), which can really freeze a defenseman. We all want him to have "Yakupov like" acceleration but that's just not his game. There is room for improvement but he is still explosive though, trust me.

I think what 417 was saying in the last thread really nailed it. Galchenyuk is so far ahead of his peers(Kuraly & cie) at thinking the game. I just can't wait to see him with guys that possess as much hockey IQ and talent as he does.

We shouldn't look at this tournament and expect Galchenyuk to do everything by himself. The tourney is loaded with great players, and they know to key in on him. The style he plays, he will only be as good as his linemates. He's a "give and go" player, yet he's giving and they're already gone. In essence, he's had to change his game for the US, to be more of a grinder and really pick his spots to slow the game down. It's all he's got really, if he takes over too often, then Kuraly may end up 10 feet offside more regularly! :facepalm:

As much as I say his skating flaws are overblown on this board, it is true that he needs work on his first four steps as his acceleration is the weakest part of his game. You are confusing explosiveness with hustle.........

vipergtx18*

When we take Goldobin in the second round or third round, he'll look good playing with Gally and Collberg in the big leagues. im sure he'll go second round when hese eligible tho

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
As much as I say his skating flaws are overblown on this board, it is true that he needs work on his first four steps as his acceleration is the weakest part of his game.

Agreed, but just because it's the weakest part of his game doesn't mean that it's "poor".

You are confusing explosiveness with hustle.........

Really? You think I'm confusing explosiveness for hustle?

His hands, change of pace/direction and decision making make him an explosive player capable of backing off defenses. That isn't really debatable..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Agreed, but just because it's the weakest part of his game doesn't mean that it's "poor".

Really? You think I'm confusing explosiveness for hustle?

His hands, change of pace/direction and decision making make him an explosive player capable of backing off defenses. That isn't really debatable..

I wouldn't classify it as poor either......alot closer to average.

The explosiveness isn't in regard to his offensive skillset but rather his first four steps. It is solely an observation about his skating. He lacks that extra step to pull away from backcheckers and to get the jump on defenders in the offensive zone while in a "half court" set.

He is dedicated to being the best player that he can be and works his tail off in the gym.....he will be fine at the end of the day.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I wouldn't classify it as poor either......alot closer to average.

Agreed. I'd say average to slightly above average.

The explosiveness isn't in regard to his offensive skillset but rather his first four steps. It is solely an observation about his skating.

I understand that, I'm saying he is explosive regardless. The effect is the same. Yes, his first step is not elite, but he has elite everything else. He is an explosive player and I'd expect that to translate to the NHL.

He lacks that extra step to pull away from backcheckers and to get the jump on defenders in the offensive zone while in a "half court" set.

No he doesn't, and what he may lack relative to the guys with top-end acceleration, he makes up for with his hands, IQ, lateral agility and his ability to quickly change pace.

He is dedicated to being the best player that he can be and works his tail off in the gym.....he will be fine at the end of the day.

I think so too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad