Alex Galchenyuk Part IV - Will he ever be Chucktastic/Michael Busto Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
As long as he's behind freaking DD we won't know what his full potential is. We've needlessly slowed his development already. No freaking clue why. We had to develop DD instead? We had to have an inferior player there why?

Galchenyuk would be so much further ahead if we had a decent coach.

What has Galchenyuk done to prove he is better than DD or deserves to be ahead of DD?

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
What has Galchenyuk done to prove he is better than DD or deserves to be ahead of DD?

What has desharnais done to prove he deserves the ice time and opportunities hes gotten as a top center on this team, ahead of galchenyuk?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

For one, he generated about as many points playing without Pacioretty and not on the first line of the PP for most of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super critical of the lemon-scented bust but he's obviously superior to David fkn Desharnais.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
For one, he generated about as many points playing without Pacioretty and not on the first line of the PP for most of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super critical of the lemon-scented bust but he's obviously superior to David fkn Desharnais.

he clearly is not. not yet anyways.

If he was the real deal phenom that most think he is he would have taken that spot already with his play. All I have seen is flashes every 4-5 games then I barely notice him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He produced about the same points and double the goals in less favourable ice this year and in 100 fewer minutes.

He's 21 and was drafted 3rd overall. It makes sense to develop him.

He's bigger, faster, stronger and has better skills NOW as a 21 year old and DD is in his prime and will never be any better.

He outproduced DD when put in the number one role.

The question isn't what has he done to prove that he's better. The question is what has DD done to justify how he's been used? There's no freaking reason for it whatsoever.
he clearly is not. not yet anyways.

If he was the real deal phenom that most think he is he would have taken that spot already with his play. All I have seen is flashes every 4-5 games then I barely notice him.
With any other coach he would have. He was better than DD was. MT INEXPLICABLY removed him from the 1st line after he outproduced DD and our record was 9-1. So what the hell are you talking about?

Why the hell are we putting a 28 year old midget who doesn't score in that role? No reason for it whatsoever.

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

Be 21 years old and/or manage more than 1.2 shots per game in his career.

Take your pick, either work.

:laugh:

let me ask you, do you really think Galchenyuk is ready to have those minutes? against every teams top line and top d pairing? I mean really ready?

Let me ask you, would you rather watch a 28 year old we know is going to fail in the role fail or watch a 21 year old who might fail or might not, but etiher way at the end of the day has upside down the road in the NHL?

:shakehead

In any event there's just as much of an argument, if not more, that Plekanec, not Galchenyuk, should have been getting the center minutes with Pacioretty the last couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
let me ask you, do you really think Galchenyuk is ready to have those minutes? against every teams top line and top d pairing? I mean really ready?
Yes. And it would've helped his development a lot to have him with Max this year. We could have sheltered him (just as we did with DD) and developed him. When given the role he did well.

You think DD was the better choice? Ridiculous.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Again, it's not that Bustbustnybust is ready, but that Desharnais has proven time and time again that he is an inferior option.

The opportunity cost of playing Desharnais over Bustbustnyuk is outrageous and we're paying for it through the nose.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Again, it's not that Bustbustnybust is ready, but that Desharnais has proven time and time again that he is an inferior option.

The opportunity cost of playing Desharnais over Bustbustnyuk is outrageous and we're paying for it through the nose.

But Galchenyuk isnt defensively responsible enough to play centre !

HabsDieHard*

If Bergevin had done even a half competent job of providing some offensive depth on this team tehy could have gone with a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher top line that doesn't need to be insulated in any way away from tough competition and go iwth an exploitation 2nd line centered by Galchenyuk.

Perhaps even someone like Stalberg (who was waiver wire fodder earlier this year) and Jagr could have worked?

not that Stalberg did much of anything for Nashville this year.

But perhaps a guy like Vrbata could have bene signed in the Summer..

Or any number of guys who could have been available at some point.

Point is he didn't, and instead they gave Desharnais minutes and linemates he didn't deserve and continued to use Galchenyuk on the wing, despite calling him a center for the last 3 years.

HabsDieHard*

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Sekac-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
Desharnais-Eller-Weise
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn

A "2nd" line that actually makes sense to use as an exploitation line in the NHL in 2015.

And a "3rd" line with enough size and speed, to offset the shortcomings Desharnais has.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Yes. And it would've helped his development a lot to have him with Max this year. We could have sheltered him (just as we did with DD) and developed him. When given the role he did well.

You think DD was the better choice? Ridiculous.

For now yes i do.

you guys say chuckie has roughly the same amount of points and thats true but he played vs inferior opponents. You know the other teams load up against Patches line. so chuckie gets to play vs their 2nd line at best.

P.S. you cant shelter a guy who plays with Patches. You get the top line and top pairing period.

I hope I am wrong guys, I really do. I would love nothing more than to cheer for him as he puts up 80+ points. I am just not convinced he can.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
But Galchenyuk isnt defensively responsible enough to play centre !
I never said that. He is pretty lame defensively at every position and looks like a ******** mule on the ice but he's still better than Smurfharnais.

Some people just don't understand how much it sucks to have that clown play for us.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I never said that. He is pretty lame defensively at every position and looks like a ******** mule on the ice but he's still better than Smurfharnais.

Some people just don't understand how much it sucks to have that clown play for us.

The Damage is Done...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For now yes i do.

you guys say chuckie has roughly the same amount of points and thats true but he played vs inferior opponents. You know the other teams load up against Patches line. so chuckie gets to play vs their 2nd line at best.
DD plays with Max, Gallagher, Markov and Subban. He gets first wave minutes and has the EASIEST minutes on the team. This isn't close.
P.S. you cant shelter a guy who plays with Patches. You get the top line and top pairing period.
I don't think you understand what "shelter" means. We do it with DD all the time. Play Galchenyuk with our best players, give him first line PP minutes and have him take offensive draws much more than defensive ones. That's EXACTLY what we do with DD.
I hope I am wrong guys, I really do. I would love nothing more than to cheer for him as he puts up 80+ points. I am just not convinced he can.
It's one thing to sit there and think he'll fail. But we have to give him the chance to show us.

He's already much better than DD is - without a doubt! There's ZERO reason not to use him in that role.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Galchenyuk should have been supported and helped with the transition to centre, not thrown under the bus and moved back to the wing when he didn't even do anything wrong. Literally the only thing that went bad when he was in the middle was him getting hit hard a few times. He created a lot and looked better than he's ever looked in the NHL.

But, Therrien is good with young players.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I'm not parroting you I'm parroting Gaston Therrien and friends !

Sorry !

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
For now yes i do.

LG is right:
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/glossary/
Sheltered minutes

A term referring to the type of ice time a player is
given by the coach. Players given "sheltered minutes"
are generally matched up against easy competition
and/or given a very high zone start ratio.

Patche is "sheltered" like any player on is line cause he get a very high zone start ratio. (As kane, giroux, etc.). The provide goal, you need your top offense weapon (patche) in the o-zone.

BUT:

Saying Patche get easy competition is no true, not true at all. so your right too.

HabsDieHard*

For now yes i do.

The thing about believing Deshanrais should be playing those center minutes over Galchenyuk is that while you MIGHT be wrong, and Galchenyuk might be a solid top 6 center we KNOW that Desharnais is not, and we KNOW that he never will be.

He played over 700 minutes this year with one of the best even strength goal scorers in the entire NHL and yet finished with middling point totals and atrocious shot rates (and there's a clear correlation in the NHL that the more you shoot the more you score, there's no denying that absolute truth).

Desharnais sucks.

Galchenyuk might end up sucking as a top 6 center as well, could go either way at this point I'd say...but we don't KNOW that he sucks.

Everyone but that useless hack Therrien realizes it.

HabsDieHard*

The vast majority of star offensive forwards get "sheltered" minutes. You use your best offensive options against other teams' worse lines any chance you can, and you give them the lions' share of offensive opportunities.

Problems arise when you use players undeserving of those roles those roles.

Which the Habs have done for well over the last 200 games.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He has 46 points this season in fewer minutes and in a harder role.

Not sure about harder minutes. Nearly identical offensive zone start percentage, rel quality of competition, power play TOI/game, etc...

DD played like 40 seconds more game at ES though. That's one shift. Their shifts per game is 22.8 and 22.9 respectively. In the end it's essentially DD taking a shift more or a few seconds longer per shift.

Their usage has been similar apart from Max-Weise vs Plekanec-Gallagher which is also similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad