Alex Galchenyuk Part IV - Will he ever be Chucktastic/Michael Busto Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsDieHard*

3rd year player at the age of 21 coming close to 50 points, and hitting the 20 goal mark.

Nothing to be disappointed about.

Of course you can find some franchise calibre players and compare their career trajectory with Galchenyuks and come away disappointed, but that is essentially searching for things to complain about.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Does anybody have video of that amazing goal from the pre-season that was Scherbak to Galchenyuk? Can't find it anywhere...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Alex is a top 6 forward and will become a second tier star. Below elite but awesome either way!

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Does anybody have video of that amazing goal from the pre-season that was Scherbak to Galchenyuk? Can't find it anywhere...

Just went through preseason scoresheets, and Galchenyuk never scored on a pass from Sherback. Galchenyuk did score 2 goals, but assisted by Thomas and Subban.

Are you talking about an intra-squad game?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Alex Galchenybust

In the last thread you said that you barely (if at all) saw any progress from Chucky if you look at his 1st season and now. Are you basing yourself only on his offensive game or his game as a whole? Because there's no doubt in my mind that Galchenyuk is a better player in his own end and is a lot more involved in terms of physicality. If you're talking strictly about offense then I can somewhat agree with you. He's still struggling to get his shot off and tries to be too fancy sometimes. Those are mistakes that he hasn't corrected since making it to the NHL.

But like others have pointed out, given the fact that he's playing a second line role, this is a super low scoring season and he doesn't get a ton of minutes on the PP. I think his season is definitely a step in the right direction. I think one of your mistakes and you've sort of admitted in your other posts, is that you put too much stock in his draft position and some of the hype he got when he was selected. I see AG as a 20-25 Gs and 40-45 apples type of center with an adequate defensive game.

HabsDieHard*

In the last thread you said that you barely (if at all) saw any progress from Chucky if you look at his 1st season and now. Are you basing yourself only on his offensive game or his game as a whole? Because there's no doubt in my mind that Galchenyuk is a better player in his own end and is a lot more involved in terms of physicality. If you're talking strictly about offense then I can somewhat agree with you. He's still struggling to get his shot off and tries to be too fancy sometimes. Those are mistakes that he hasn't corrected since making it to the NHL.

But like others have pointed out, given the fact that he's playing a second line role, this is a super low scoring season and he doesn't get a ton of minutes on the PP. I think his season is definitely a step in the right direction. I think one of your mistakes and you've sort of admitted in your other posts, is that you put too much stock in his draft position and some of the hype he got when he was selected. I see AG as a 20-25 Gs and 40-45 apples type of center with an adequate defensive game.

To me the most encouraging part of Galchenyuks' game is that his weaknesses are things he can work on.

If he can improve his skating speed and work on his accuracy he could easily hit 30 goals next year.

Right now it's tough for him to get separation from the opposition, he doesn't need to be an elite speedster out there but if he can put in some work and improve there that should be much less of an issue.

I see no reason why he can't develop a high end 2 way game, he seems to possess all of the tools.

In his rookie year he had 1.64 shots per game, last year 1.69. This year he's a shade over 2.

You get more shots on net and you'll have more offensive success.

In terms of overall production, no, his game hasn't taken a big step since his rookie year...but his even strength point production has him as a top 6 producing forward in the NHL this year.

Give him some time to make his mark on the power play, and that could happen as soon as next year, and 60+ points isn't an unrealistic expectation at all.

As I said earlier, if you want to compare him to Stamkos, Tavares and Kane and talk about what a disappointment he is, you can do it, quite easily.

But if you just look at him, and how his overall game is progressing, it's pretty difficult to not be very optimistic about his future.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Galchenyuk is already very good considering where they have him playing.If he played right wing and they switched Gallagher across to left wing how do you they think they would compare relatively speaking?
Thats what I mean Galchenyuk will be elite.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
ok then yeah realistic i thought apples were points. But i love apples and i'm kind of sad they are doomed to be assists only :(

I guess grapefruit would be goals, and pears would be points...

Like MT so wisely said: in a fruit salad, you need a bit of everything! :laugh:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Just went through preseason scoresheets, and Galchenyuk never scored on a pass from Sherback. Galchenyuk did score 2 goals, but assisted by Thomas and Subban.

Very possible...maybe that's why I can't find it. Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? It was a great pass in the neutral zone and Chucky scored a beauty.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows

No he scored a highlight reel goal assists from Scherbak and Emelin in preseason

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Galchenyuk is great, I don't get all that bust talk. At the same time, people were labeling Pacioretty a bust after 2 seasons so I don't really take Habs fans seriously.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I wouldn't say he's more involved physically, but he's certainly more effective physically. He always got involved physically but he didn't come out on top a lot as an 18-19 year old and now he does. But that's not something I would attribute to development, that's just physical maturation.

As for defensively, sure there has been improvement but I haven't seen a massive improvement, though I think that's partly because his impact defensively is much more limited as a winger. To me he's gone from a guy who mostly is ok but would slips up fairly regurlarly to a guy whose mostly ok and doesn't slip up very often. That's good, but if that's all there is to show after 3 years then I think it's fair for people to question his development. The fact that the coach still doesn't trust him as a center because of his defensive ability is another cause for concern. Though personally I think that's Therrien being dumb and not Galchenyuk not being ready.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I wouldn't say he's more involved physically, but he's certainly more effective physically. He always got involved physically but he didn't come out on top a lot as an 18-19 year old and now he does. But that's not something I would attribute to development, that's just physical maturation.

As for defensively, sure there has been improvement but I haven't seen a massive improvement, though I think that's partly because his impact defensively is much more limited as a winger. To me he's gone from a guy who mostly is ok but would slips up fairly regurlarly to a guy whose mostly ok and doesn't slip up very often. That's good, but if that's all there is to show after 3 years then I think it's fair for people to question his development. The fact that the coach still doesn't trust him as a center because of his defensive ability is another cause for concern. Though personally I think that's Therrien being dumb and not Galchenyuk not being ready.

Not my intention to turn this into DD related discussion. But he is the worst defensive centerman in the lineup as of right now.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Only thing Galchenyuk needs to do is slow things down a bit.........he seems to be panicking his thoughts and decisions....once he figures that out he going to be real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad