Alex Galchenyuk III

• Thread starter FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
This board spends so much time worrying about who AG plays with, and BG goes about grinding out 25 goals and 50 points, 6 GWG. Goes to all the dirty area's and consistently retrieves the puck for that line so the other guys can play on the outside. No one seems to be worried that MT is ruining BG, or that BG should play with Patches. And very few people seem to recognize how good a player he is at 22.

Brendan Gallagher was drafted in the 5th round. So what he has done and continues to do is blow our expectations away.

Galchenyuk, 2 years younger I might add, is only one point less than Gallagher in 2 less games played. He was also 3rd overall pick which makes the expectations higher.

I don't think we should compare the two at all. Gallagher is a heart player and Galchenyuk is a combo of hands and brain. There is two years separating them and big difference of draft pick.

To turn it around though, most people are very happy with Gallagher and somebody mentioned in the GTD from the panthers game that they expected Galchenyuk to be putting up Gallagher numbers. They failed to realize that there is only 1 point separating the two. And not to mention Gallagher has had more time on the top line/first wave PP.

Gallagher was a sweet steal by Timmins and continues to develop into a top 6 RW. I expect his two-way game to improve and have a career along the lines of former hab Gionta (minus the 48 goal campaign).

Galchenyuk on the other hand isn't being afforded any breaks by certain posters on here. I guess there may have been a group of us on here that thought Chuck could be a 100 point guy (I was never a part of that group). My expectations are anywhere between 60-80 points. He is flirting with 50 points his third post-draft season. Something Ryan Johansen couldn't do..:sarcasm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
1. He is not a center

2. He is learning to play both ways, habs play more of a defensive game therefore his offensive numbers are not great but he is as important to the team as Subban, Patches, Price and the rest don t be fooled.

1. He will be soon enough.

2. He is and this team plays a more defensive game, but that doesn't explain why he's under .3 PPG for every month of march in his career, so far.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
1. He will be soon enough.

2. He is and this team plays a more defensive game, but that doesn't explain why he's under .3 PPG for every month of march in his career, so far.

Simple that's when he hits the wall for a bit? He is Galchenyuk not Crosby at the end of the day he is having a good year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Simple that's when he hits the wall for a bit? He is Galchenyuk not Crosby at the end of the day he is having a good year.

Jesus, I think I might just pass down to W7 side... Some people aroung here are delusional when it comes to galchenyuk. I'm not critisizing the impact he had over the whole year, I'm just looking at the month of march and think it's quite weird for him not to produce at all in those times.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Exactly. The most obvious challenge that AG has today is his foot speed, he simply can't beat most defensemen wide, and in scrambles he isn't fast enough to the puck. He try's to go around the d man, can't get wide and try's to dangle back inside and loses the puck. Often.
Because he shouldn't be a winger!

He wouldn't have to try to beat D wide all the time if he were at C. He could go in either direction, pass to one of his wingers, slow the play down, etc. Galchenyuk's skillset is far better suited to life at C rather than W. FFS, we saw it for ourselves when he played there earlier in the year! But our moron head coach doesn't like undermining his beloved midget pet, so he keeps the vastly more talented prospect stuck at W.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Jesus, I think I might just pass down to W7 side... Some people aroung here are delusional when it comes to galchenyuk. I'm not critisizing the impact he had over the whole year, I'm just looking at the month of march and think it's quite weird for him not to produce at all in those times.

Is that so?

BAZmv.gif

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This is like the IS to Assad dillema, you're both in the wrong !

Both delusional, I need a drink.

I'm not saying he's a bust, I'm saying his progression has slowed down. From year 1 to year 2 to year 3, the slope isn't that steep as I'd like.

That's it really, the rest of my posts have been my supporting arguments and tangential bickering with the delusional and the ignorant. I don't think he's a bad player but he has a ways to grow - his decisionmaking isn't quick, and his actual quickness is an issue. Some will say it's because he's playing LW, and I don't know enough about the kid to tell you if it's really the issue but I know for a fact that Therrien would rather play DD over Chucky as a centre.

And the BS that chucky is getting shafted with TOI is such a cop-out. He plays with Pleks and/or Gallagher every game and gets PP time - he's not getting the Eller treatment.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not saying he's a bust, I'm saying his progression has slowed down. From year 1 to year 2 to year 3, the slope isn't that steep as I'd like.

That's it really, the rest of my posts have been my supporting arguments and tangential bickering with the delusional and the ignorant. I don't think he's a bad player but he has a ways to grow - his decisionmaking isn't quick, and his actual quickness is an issue. Some will say it's because he's playing LW, and I don't know enough about the kid to tell you if it's really the issue but I know for a fact that Therrien would rather play DD over Chucky as a centre.

And the BS that chucky is getting shafted with TOI is such a cop-out. He plays with Pleks and/or Gallagher every game and gets PP time - he's not getting the Eller treatment.
He's not, but playing 2nd fiddle to Pacioretty who gets all the offensive opportunities is not a cop out either. He's a 50 points player at 21 playing on the second line, relax.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Because Galchenyuk is our 2nd best winger. Removing him creates a hole.
And we all know how DD doesn't get preferential treatment..

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

This I do agree with. That is clear fact right there. But it simply doesn't give any conclusions or accurate projections as to where he will be 2-3 years from now.

He's not, but playing 2nd fiddle to Pacioretty who gets all the offensive opportunities is not a cop out either. He's a 50 points player at 21 playing on the second line, relax.

I'd love to see his numbers as a 2nd line LW compared with guys around the league. I'm guessing they are impressive. Heck even vs other 2nd line guys in general.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal

Galchenyuk is a beast!!!! Nuff said.

CanadianLover

Oct 27, 2014
Galchenyuck is good this year. The NHL won't have a 90 pts player this year. He is still very young and will progress.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm satisfied with his development. He's starting to put up points with regularity, the next step is to let his talent to the talking and take over games at times, which he hasn't been doing often enough this year.

The skills are there, we all know that, but I fell like the stifling dump and chase, grinding system Therrien uses doesn't let him take advantage of his puck protection skills.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This I do agree with. That is clear fact right there. But it simply doesn't give any conclusions or accurate projections as to where he will be 2-3 years from now.

I'd love to see his numbers as a 2nd line LW compared with guys around the league. I'm guessing they are impressive. Heck even vs other 2nd line guys in general.

I can work something around that.

Out of all the second line wingers, 11 have outproduced him: Vanek, Kucherov, Hossa, ROR, Tanguay, Tatar, Ryan, St-Louis, Simmonds, Steen and Oshie.

The average points for a 2nd liner this year is 36/78 games. I'd say he's just fine.

Which makes his march month even wierder. If he didn't have this month, he'd probably be sitting at 56 points or more, which would put him third behind Hossa and Steen !

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I can work something around that.

Out of all the second line wingers, 11 have outproduced him: Vanek, Kucherov, Hossa, ROR, Tanguay, Tatar, Ryan, St-Louis, Simmonds, Steen and Oshie.

The average points for a 2nd liner this year is 36/78 games. I'd say he's just fine.

Which makes his march month even wierder. If he didn't have this month, he'd probably be sitting at 56 points or more, which would put him third behind Hossa and Steen !

Not bad at all!

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
This thread is going to be about as much fun as you can have on an internet message board if Galchenyuk breaks out next season.

''Of course I wanted to trade a 21 year old 20 goal scorer with upside to burn, and give away assets to do it!''

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think you're looking way too deep into this... I'm the biggest Chucky supporter around. He's clearly average relatively to the league, so it's not hogwash.

My eyes are blue therefore I have more success with ladies. (Now prove it.)
He's been slumping in March every year in his career, therefore he is a slumper in March.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

I think your argument is extremely naive and is the logical equivalent of pretending he is pixels in a video game. In the column "body type" it's written "average body" right? He's a big human being, who is 21, stamina takes a long time to build up.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This thread is going to be about as much fun as you can have on an internet message board if Galchenyuk breaks out next season.

''Of course I wanted to trade a 21 year old 20 goal scorer with upside to burn, and give away assets to do it!''

I think we agree, this would be ridiculous. By today's standards, he is the gold that no GM would ever give away.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
He is outscoring all wingers on the big bad highly talented Boston Bruins.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think we agree, this would be ridiculous. By today's standards, he is the gold that no GM would ever give away.

I don't think there's a single member of our ''core'' who wouldn't have been on Whiskey's block at Galchenyuk's age given his reasoning. They all would have been bad trades.

During a prospect's development, it is a near certainty that someone else drafted at or around the same time will be developing faster, or have already arrived. That doesn't mean you trade your player, and other valuable assets in order to ''cash in'' early. Especially not when your prospect is actually developing pretty well. It is an expensive perspective to have, and should only be undertaken when you have a significant advantage in information. However, working with the facts we have in front of us, trading Galchenyuk + for anything but a clear upgrade on his potential is just dumb.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think there's a single member of our ''core'' who wouldn't have been on Whiskey's block at Galchenyuk's age given his reasoning. They all would have been bad trades.

During a prospect's development, it is a near certainty that someone else drafted at or around the same time will be developing faster, or have already arrived. That doesn't mean you trade your player, and other valuable assets in order to ''cash in'' early. Especially not when your prospect is actually developing pretty well. It is an expensive perspective to have, and should only be undertaken when you have a significant advantage in information. However, working with the facts we have in front of us, trading Galchenyuk + for anything but a clear upgrade on his potential is just dumb.
I think he expects Subban like development.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Absolutely I do.

He's a 3rd overall pick, I'd be remiss in not expecting massive things from him. And yeah, we can all agree he hasn't panned out in an ideal way, so of course doubts will come into play. I'm not a naturally pessimistic person but with Lefebvre, Therrien and Bergevin at the helm and not one of our Bergevin-era youngsters playing up to an NHL level (and not one of our pre-Begevin youngsters producing at an increasing rate since 2012) I'd be a fanboy and a fool to think everything is rosy.

So yeah, I want a Subban-esque rise and anything that falls short will raise doubts. Call me a hater.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I fully expect Galchenyuk to have an explosive development sometime in the near future. I wouldn't be so adamantly against trading him if I didn't. The guy is so good, and has so much talent, and his development to date, while not ideal (ideal being Crosby, for reference) has really given no cause for concern. Like, at all, much less the level of concern some are showing.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Absolutely I do.

He's a 3rd overall pick, I'd be remiss in not expecting massive things from him. And yeah, we can all agree he hasn't panned out in an ideal way, so of course doubts will come into play. I'm not a naturally pessimistic person but with Lefebvre, Therrien and Bergevin at the helm and not one of our Bergevin-era youngsters playing up to an NHL level (and not one of our pre-Begevin youngsters producing at an increasing rate since 2012) I'd be a fanboy and a fool to think everything is rosy.

So yeah, I want a Subban-esque rise and anything that falls short will raise doubts. Call me a hater.

Are you saying that his progression has stalled because of coaching staff / management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad