"Alex Galchenyuk has arrived."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I prefer shiniest turd.
Certainly less offensive. Though dwarfism is an exceedingly rare condition and the odds of offending someone here are pretty low. Still, using the word midget is probably about as socially acceptable in 2019 as using the word Pejorative Slur.

EDIT: Haha. I guess not!!! The filter catches the pejorative for developmentally delayed person but not the pejorative for little person?!?!? That’s very random!

Anyway, just want to be clear that my asterisks don’t start with the letter N.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Certainly less offensive. Though dwarfism is an exceedingly rare condition and the odds of offending someone here are pretty low. Still, using the word midget is probably about as socially acceptable in 2019 as using the word ******.

I wasn't talking about being offensive although the PC crowd would probably want you burned at the stake for using midget. I just always used shiniest turd. It's hard to miss the meaning of that.

rt

May 13, 2004
I didn't know it wasn't cool to say midget.
It’s the same as the changing terminology for the developmentally delayed. It used to be called mental Pejorative Sluration (maybe it still is clinically) and folks with that condition or conditions that present themselves in a similar way to the uninformed, were often called Pejorative Slurs or Pejorative Slured. That’s a very bad word now. Over the last ten years it’s become wholly offensive.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Another 2 point night for Galchenyuk.

He now has the highest PPG on the team.
Yet, Stepan, who's PPG is almost half of Chucky's gets more ice time because he plays a "200 ft. game". Chucky's TOI/GM is fourth among forwards. Last night Chucky played 12 TOI, Stepan almost 20. What's going on? Chucky is our best forward and he gets fourth line minutes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yet, Stepan, who's PPG is almost half of Chucky's gets more ice time because he plays a "200 ft. game". Chucky's TOI/GM is fourth among forwards. Last night Chucky played 12 TOI, Stepan almost 20. What's going on? Chucky is our best forward and he gets fourth line minutes.
Stepan is our best defensive C and gets more minutes because of McDavid last night, its about match ups sometimes.

The trade is looking more even now. Domi had a hot start but is fading now. Galchenyuk was injured and started slow after that but is heating up now. I suspect both teams will be happy with the trade, and both players.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
He now has the highest PPG on the team.

I got the impression the team wanted him to score in the beginning. When it didn't work, he seems to accept he can help - a lot- by assisting goals.

And he get a lot of assists.

As the team needs scoring, this is good.

Starting to like the guy! :nod:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It’s the same as the changing terminology for the developmentally delayed. It used to be called mental ******ation (maybe it still is clinically) and folks with that condition or conditions that present themselves in a similar way to the uninformed, were often called ******s or ******ed. That’s a very bad word now. Over the last ten years it’s become wholly offensive.
Now it's intellectual disability.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So instead of midget should I start saying vertically challenged?? Why is considered bad to be shorter than others? And by pointing it out soneone us being negative??

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So instead of midget should I start saying vertically challenged?? Why is considered bad to be shorter than others? And by pointing it out soneone us being negative??
Nah, folks just have it so good in this country that they feel compelled to champion a cause. Of course that cause often can't be too difficult, challenging, or require much actual effort. Political correctness, or whatever you want to call it, fits the mold

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Midget was used when they were being exploited in circus sideshows, thus became a slur.

The condition is dwarfism, so you can say they are a dwarf, or little person is also acceptable.

Usually a word becomes unacceptable based on the historical context of how it was used.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
Why would people who were not born with dwarfism feel attached to using the word midget if those who were born with dwarfism prefer a different term? I don’t know any dwarfs. I also don’t feel outraged or cheated that dwarves prefer I don’t use the word midget. Who cares? What does that cost me? Who the hell is so attached to that word that they have a problem giving it up?

Anyway, this is a hockey forum so I’ll drop this.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Its called linguistic treadmilling. Whatever label is used for an undesirable trait (being short, intellectually disable, etc) becomes common usage for name calling. Society finds a more acceptable word, and the cycle continues by eventually turning the new word into an insult.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Its called linguistic treadmilling. Whatever label is used for an undesirable trait (being short, intellectually disable, etc) becomes common usage for name calling. Society finds a more acceptable word, and the cycle continues by eventually turning the new word into an insult.

Yep, and it's almost completely because there is a segment of humanity who gets off on being a-holes to people for yuks. Political correctness was an attempt to bypass that segment, only for the a-holes to take it as a challenge and appropriate it... not to mention a completely different segment of a-holes on the other side who became militant about PC to the point where you're condemned if you don't include all seventy-five letters in LBGTQetc. acronyms and the sixteen different gender labels (as of this writing).

Human beings are, generally, pricks.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Yes .
Yep, and it's almost completely because there is a segment of humanity who gets off on being a-holes to people for yuks. Political correctness was an attempt to bypass that segment, only for the a-holes to take it as a challenge and appropriate it... not to mention a completely different segment of a-holes on the other side who became militant about PC to the point where you're condemned if you don't include all seventy-five letters in LBGTQetc. acronyms and the sixteen different gender labels (as of this writing).

Human beings are, generally, pricks.
And yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad