Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler suspended three games

Plowevelski

wuts this SCF thing?
Nov 19, 2010
BASED PETE DaBoAR
I found it very offensive and even shocking and I know how proud of a "true Canadian" Don Cherry is... it's ridiculous and makes Canadians seem worse than the ridiculous overly proud "Muricans" I see here in the southern USA currently. He doesn't need to be on TV anymore with that kind of nationalist crap :facepalm:

Old dude stepped way over the line. He's a KID. Having the time of his life. And it doesn't matter how you score a goal, it's up to the goalie to stop it. I'm sure if you ask Mr. Biron he'd just say wow I didn't expect that at all he beat me. I have to be better. Why the lack of humility? It doesn't matter what country you're from. I support good hockey not prejudice and borderline racism :banghead:

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
Clearly, people cannot even agree on what happened. Some don't think Edler was even attempting to make a check, others think he was trying to take Hertl's head off.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
It's pretty clear to me that Edler had no intention of going for that puck. Saw that #48 was going for the puck, licked his lips and lined him up. This is all what I gathered from his body language and the course he took to get to Hertl. Obviously I don't know Edler's thoughts and I don't think he's an *******, but he pretty clearly wanted to send a message to Tomáš.

I think one, maybe two games would've been fair punishment, but being a repeat offender I guess they were forced to throw another one in there.

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
It's pretty clear to me that Edler had no intention of going for that puck. Saw that #48 was going for the puck, licked his lips and lined him up. This is all what I gathered from his body language and the course he took to get to Hertl. Obviously I don't know Edler's thoughts and I don't think he's an *******, but he pretty clearly wanted to send a message to Tomáš.

I think one, maybe two games would've been fair punishment, but being a repeat offender I guess they were forced to throw another one in there.

See, if it actually went down as you're saying, I'd have no problem with a much longer suspension, because I don't actually think three games amounts to jack ****. But to say Edler went in like that because it was Hertl seems crazy. IMO, he didn't hit Hertl, he beat Hertl to the spot, braced himself for a collision and Hertl skated into him. Take another look...if it's Marleau or any other big veteran sharks forward, bracing himself for a collision, how does Edler go into that puck battle? Exactly the way he did. That's why Edler doesn't look like he's making any attempt to play the puck. His primary concern is and should be the dude coming into the puck battle with him. Incidental contact. Not a check.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
See, if it actually went down as you're saying, I'd have no problem with a much longer suspension, because I don't actually think three games amounts to jack ****. But to say Edler went in like that because it was Hertl seems crazy. IMO, he didn't hit Hertl, he beat Hertl to the spot, braced himself for a collision and Hertl skated into him. Take another look...if it's Marleau or any other big veteran sharks forward, bracing himself for a collision, how does Edler go into that puck battle? Exactly the way he did. That's why Edler doesn't look like he's making any attempt to play the puck. His primary concern is and should be the dude coming into the puck battle with him. Incidental contact. Not a check.

That's sounds like an equally biased take on what happened. How do you know what he intended to do? Are you a mind reader? You are fighting a losing battle trying to argue that on these boards...

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA

Okay, I think he went for Hertl's head intentionally and, yes, because it was Hertl. That's my opinion, so you're wasting your time trying to prove me wrong.

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
That's sounds like an equally biased take on what happened. How do you know what he intended to do? Are you a mind reader? You are fighting a losing battle trying to argue that on these boards...

I make no claim on what he intended to do, only on what he did. Does he or does he not beat Hertl to the spot? Now imagine instead of Hertl, it's Marleau coming in for that puck.

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
Now imagine it was Hertl, whom it was...

Edler never even tried to play the puck. He stopped and delivered a headshot instead.

Really, he stopped? Really?

If Edler tries to play the puck he's putting himself at risk of being laid out. He has no way of knowing Hertl is going to reach for the puck instead of bracing himself for contact like he should do. Edler defends his position on the ice but does not throw a check.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Enough. This isn't the place to argue about it with Sharks fans. There were three threads on the main boards to do that. If you want to continue and lement about it, do it on the Canucks board.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
Really, he stopped? Really?

If Edler tries to play the puck he's putting himself at risk of being laid out. He has no way of knowing Hertl is going to reach for the puck instead of bracing himself for contact like he should do. Edler defends his position on the ice but does not throw a check.

That's cool. You can live in that reality and I'll live in mine. No use in arguing; like I said in the first place, I stated my opinion of his intent, not a factual claim. You can't tell me he didn't intend to deliver a headshot just like I can't prove he did, but I can still believe he did.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
I make no claim on what he intended to do, only on what he did. Does he or does he not beat Hertl to the spot? Now imagine instead of Hertl, it's Marleau coming in for that puck.

No. He skated right through Hertls head. He never stopped and braced for a hit. I don't know what your talking about. If he had stopped he wouldn't have continued gliding into the boards and almost flipping over on to the bench.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Glad the NHL threw the book at this talentless goon, he should be lucky he didn't get more games even though he deserved it.

PoloKeeperSharksFan

May 4, 2013
Maybe a dumb question but since I have never played ice hockey at a high level I am curious about something. How feasible would it have been for Edler to throw a hip check instead of what he did? It seems like the main argument I have seen is that what he did was the responsible defensive play by attempting to separate the man from the puck on a break away and that it was Hertl's fault for having his head out resulting in a "head shot". Now that is not what I saw, but let's assume the assertion that it was the responsible defensive play could he make that same play with a hip check thus mitigating the risk for a head shot?

As someone who is not a proficient skater I do not know how difficult it would have been to pull that off and hence why I am asking. It seems like Hip checks have come back a bit (Burns Butt check anyone?) as a viable option to deliver super hard hits without the risk of head shots, and if the NHL wants players making the correct defensive plays but in a responsible safe manner then a hip check in this situation, if feasible, would have been the correct play, thus invalidating the assertion that Edler had "no other option" on the play.

What do you all think?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Maybe a dumb question but since I have never played ice hockey at a high level I am curious about something. How feasible would it have been for Edler to throw a hip check instead of what he did? It seems like the main argument I have seen is that what he did was the responsible defensive play by attempting to separate the man from the puck on a break away and that it was Hertl's fault for having his head out resulting in a "head shot". Now that is not what I saw, but let's assume the assertion that it was the responsible defensive play could he make that same play with a hip check thus mitigating the risk for a head shot?

As someone who is not a proficient skater I do not know how difficult it would have been to pull that off and hence why I am asking. It seems like Hip checks have come back a bit (Burns Butt check anyone?) as a viable option to deliver super hard hits without the risk of head shots, and if the NHL wants players making the correct defensive plays but in a responsible safe manner then a hip check in this situation, if feasible, would have been the correct play, thus invalidating the assertion that Edler had "no other option" on the play.

What do you all think?

Edler had enough time to do just about anything else, he chose the most dangerous path he possibly could have. A hip check would have been a little awkward at that angle, but possible. The most effective thing he could have done was simply put his shoulder right into Hertl's shoulder and absolutely crush him with a monster hit which would have likely drove him onto the bench. Totally legal, separates him from the puck and takes him out of the play and would have been as simple as a slight angle change as he skated in (which is why he got suspended.

What I think he was doing was trying skate between Hertl and the puck to block him, but that is A) interference and B) dangerous (as we saw).

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think all hits between the blue lines should be outlawed. The game needs more fast attacks and passing. Let the players wear down their legs, not their brains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad