Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler suspended three games

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
How he got the same as Stuart even though he has prior history is weird. I guess injury on the play has more weight than intent even though that seems completely backwards.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Canuck fans are *****ing so much about this hit right now. Poor Torres would've been lynched by now if he was in Edler's shoes. I hope that Gillis issues a public announcement like DW did.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Well done explanation. Makes sense. Deserved suspension. Not sure about the length, those seem to be arbitrary and ridiculous. You'd think being a repeat offender would get him more than Stuart, but whatever.

Justice is served.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
How he got the same as Stuart even though he has prior history is weird. I guess injury on the play has more weight than intent even though that seems completely backwards.

Like I've been saying, it's a complete joke that injury to the other player is considered. Shouldn't matter if Hertl is hurt, dazed, concussed, or dead. If you want this stuff out of the game, an illegal check to the head should be a long suspension, period. Doubly long for repeat offenders, period.

Not "Oh Stuart's hit wasn't that bad but caused Nash an injury so 3 games" and "Edler's hit didn't cause injury, so I want to give 1, but for repeat offender I'll give 3 games."

If you want it out of the game, long suspensions for illegal checks to the head, period.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Really think Edler should have a right to make that hit, but it's clearly the league has defined as suspendable, as we were surprised to learn with Torres.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Hertl has got to keep his head up but Edler could have taken a better angle towards the body, there's no reason for him to skate in front of Hertl and catch him on the chin with his shoulder. I was expecting 2 games but forgot he had a prior history, so i'm not too surprised.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I wish I could see this as a neutral fan, because where I sit right now, that is one of the most clear cut punishable hits I've seen in a long time.

No attempt to play the puck, waits for Hertl to play the puck, leans in and pops him straight in the head.

I can't even believe the reaction on the main boards. It's like we're not even seeing the same play.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Really think Edler should have a right to make that hit, but it's clearly the league has defined as suspendable, as we were surprised to learn with Torres.

He can make that hit if he targets Hertl's shoulder. The problem is if he goes for the shoulder it increases the likelihood that he'll be beaten to the puck and Hertl will end up with a breakaway. If he misses or only glances off of Hertl's shoulder most NHLers have the strength not lose their balance and continue forward. The obvious move there was to play the puck, and Edler simply didn't do that. He could have pinned it to the boards or forced it back up the wall. I'm not sure why he didn't make the easy play.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Good call by the league. It seems like "no injury" and "repeat offender" sort of cancelled out and that led to the length.

As for injury as a standard itself ... I sort of get it. It's hard to judge severity and intent by video, so injury sort of helps mitigate the lack of other information.

People have been saying for years, suspend players until the player they hurt comes back. I guess no one likes that idea when it's their own player ...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Like I've been saying, it's a complete joke that injury to the other player is considered. Shouldn't matter if Hertl is hurt, dazed, concussed, or dead. If you want this stuff out of the game, an illegal check to the head should be a long suspension, period. Doubly long for repeat offenders, period.

Not "Oh Stuart's hit wasn't that bad but caused Nash an injury so 3 games" and "Edler's hit didn't cause injury, so I want to give 1, but for repeat offender I'll give 3 games."

If you want it out of the game, long suspensions for illegal checks to the head, period.

...So are you suggesting that there should be equal penalties for driving drunk vs. killing someone while driving drunk?

You can pick another analogy.....

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I think being a 'repeat offender' did Edler in and I'm glad they decided to suspend him as that was a clear cut hit to the head. Edler had time to change his trajectory and not nail Hertl right in the head and chose not to, it's these types of hits that I'd really like to see eliminated from the game.

It would've been pretty easy for the DoPS to write this his off the same way they did with the Downie hit on Josi.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
...So are you suggesting that there should be equal penalties for driving drunk vs. killing someone while driving drunk?

If the point is to eradicate drunk driving, then yes.

But that's quite an extreme example. The point is, there can be minimal contact that causes great injury in this sport, and severe contact that causes on injury. If you want to end that kind of contact, period, there should be no difference as to whether an injury is caused.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I wish I could see this as a neutral fan, because where I sit right now, that is one of the most clear cut punishable hits I've seen in a long time.

No attempt to play the puck, waits for Hertl to play the puck, leans in and pops him straight in the head.

I can't even believe the reaction on the main boards. It's like we're not even seeing the same play.
In their defense, Hertl was leaning, and the majority of the evidence is from a short looped gif that doesn't indicate Edler's movement to the spot. I've watched the video a few times and it looks dirty to me. Edler made no attempt to play the puck and Hertl made no sudden movements prior to the hit. Bad on Hertl to reach for the puck but it wasn't a last second thing. Edler knew full well what he was doing imo and made no attempt to avoid head contact. Hertl didn't even reach the puck yet. A lot of people are claiming Hertl ran into a stationary Edler when I just don't see how this can be true.

I don't agree with how Shanahan hands out supplementary discipline, especially with his insistence on injury being part of the criteria, but at least he didn't half-*** it this time. It is either a clean hit and he gets nothing or a dirty one and he gets 3+. He thought it was dirty so that's the right result whether some fans agree or not.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
3 games strictly as a repeat offender. Edler should have turned and did a hip/ass check like Burns/Doughty and he would have been fine bur nope tried to lead with the shoulder and clipped Hertl.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Your analogy fails. It's more like should the penalty for hitting a man driving drunk but not killing him, be any different then killing the man while driving drunk.

In other words. If you intend to hurt someone and fail, should the penalty be any different then if you succeeded.

The severity of the infraction should be the determining factor in the punishment. Not the effect of it.
Thorntons hit on Perron knocked him out for a long time, so should Thornton have been punished heavily because of it? No, the hit was very arguably not Thornton's fault at all and therefore the small punishment was warranted. If Thornton had done a flying elbow at Perron then he should get severe punishment, regardless of how bad Perron was hurt or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->