Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler suspended three games

Discussion in 'San Jose Sharks' started by rangerssharks414, Oct 11, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. rangerssharks414

rangerssharks414 Moderator

2. Broomout

Broomout Registered User

Loved the explanation by Shanny in the video

3. ChubbChubby

ChubbChubby Using tilt controls!

How he got the same as Stuart even though he has prior history is weird. I guess injury on the play has more weight than intent even though that seems completely backwards.

4. rangerssharks414

rangerssharks414 Moderator

I'll post the Shanahan video in the opening post when I find it.

5. hohosaregood

hohosaregood Banned

Canuck fans are *****ing so much about this hit right now. Poor Torres would've been lynched by now if he was in Edler's shoes. I hope that Gillis issues a public announcement like DW did.

6. Leidi J

Leidi J Registered User

Well done explanation. Makes sense. Deserved suspension. Not sure about the length, those seem to be arbitrary and ridiculous. You'd think being a repeat offender would get him more than Stuart, but whatever.

Justice is served.

7. Grave

Grave Mondo Cool

Arbiter of Entropy
    They better bring knuckles if they try to do this in SJ!

8. ChompChomp

ChompChomp My avi is gospel

Like I've been saying, it's a complete joke that injury to the other player is considered. Shouldn't matter if Hertl is hurt, dazed, concussed, or dead. If you want this stuff out of the game, an illegal check to the head should be a long suspension, period. Doubly long for repeat offenders, period.

Not "Oh Stuart's hit wasn't that bad but caused Nash an injury so 3 games" and "Edler's hit didn't cause injury, so I want to give 1, but for repeat offender I'll give 3 games."

If you want it out of the game, long suspensions for illegal checks to the head, period.

9. SactoShark

SactoShark ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That was terrible hit. He got off lightly. So did Hertl.

10. matt trick

matt trick Registered User

Really think Edler should have a right to make that hit, but it's clearly the league has defined as suspendable, as we were surprised to learn with Torres.

11. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood Chairman Meow

Hertl has got to keep his head up but Edler could have taken a better angle towards the body, there's no reason for him to skate in front of Hertl and catch him on the chin with his shoulder. I was expecting 2 games but forgot he had a prior history, so i'm not too surprised.

12. Alaskanice

Alaskanice Registered User

Here come the purists. Pitchforks and elbows up!! Hockey is ruined forever!;)

13. 19sharks19

19sharks19 Registered User

Agree.

14. SactoShark

SactoShark ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish I could see this as a neutral fan, because where I sit right now, that is one of the most clear cut punishable hits I've seen in a long time.

No attempt to play the puck, waits for Hertl to play the puck, leans in and pops him straight in the head.

I can't even believe the reaction on the main boards. It's like we're not even seeing the same play.

15. Lebanezer

Lebanezer I'unno? Coast Guard?

He can make that hit if he targets Hertl's shoulder. The problem is if he goes for the shoulder it increases the likelihood that he'll be beaten to the puck and Hertl will end up with a breakaway. If he misses or only glances off of Hertl's shoulder most NHLers have the strength not lose their balance and continue forward. The obvious move there was to play the puck, and Edler simply didn't do that. He could have pinned it to the boards or forced it back up the wall. I'm not sure why he didn't make the easy play.

16. Phu

Phu Registered User

Good call by the league. It seems like "no injury" and "repeat offender" sort of cancelled out and that led to the length.

As for injury as a standard itself ... I sort of get it. It's hard to judge severity and intent by video, so injury sort of helps mitigate the lack of other information.

People have been saying for years, suspend players until the player they hurt comes back. I guess no one likes that idea when it's their own player ...

17. OrrNumber4

OrrNumber4 Registered User

Doctor
    ...So are you suggesting that there should be equal penalties for driving drunk vs. killing someone while driving drunk?

You can pick another analogy.....

18. sr228

sr228 Registered User

I think being a 'repeat offender' did Edler in and I'm glad they decided to suspend him as that was a clear cut hit to the head. Edler had time to change his trajectory and not nail Hertl right in the head and chose not to, it's these types of hits that I'd really like to see eliminated from the game.

It would've been pretty easy for the DoPS to write this his off the same way they did with the Downie hit on Josi.

19. ChompChomp

ChompChomp My avi is gospel

If the point is to eradicate drunk driving, then yes.

But that's quite an extreme example. The point is, there can be minimal contact that causes great injury in this sport, and severe contact that causes on injury. If you want to end that kind of contact, period, there should be no difference as to whether an injury is caused.

20. ChubbChubby

ChubbChubby Using tilt controls!

In their defense, Hertl was leaning, and the majority of the evidence is from a short looped gif that doesn't indicate Edler's movement to the spot. I've watched the video a few times and it looks dirty to me. Edler made no attempt to play the puck and Hertl made no sudden movements prior to the hit. Bad on Hertl to reach for the puck but it wasn't a last second thing. Edler knew full well what he was doing imo and made no attempt to avoid head contact. Hertl didn't even reach the puck yet. A lot of people are claiming Hertl ran into a stationary Edler when I just don't see how this can be true.

I don't agree with how Shanahan hands out supplementary discipline, especially with his insistence on injury being part of the criteria, but at least he didn't half-*** it this time. It is either a clean hit and he gets nothing or a dirty one and he gets 3+. He thought it was dirty so that's the right result whether some fans agree or not.

21. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Dedicated to babies who came feet first

3 games strictly as a repeat offender. Edler should have turned and did a hip/ass check like Burns/Doughty and he would have been fine bur nope tried to lead with the shoulder and clipped Hertl.

22. Grave

Grave Mondo Cool

Arbiter of Entropy
    He should of gotten more considering how many games Torres got in the PLAYOFFS

23. Dicdonya

Dicdonya Registered User

Your analogy fails. It's more like should the penalty for hitting a man driving drunk but not killing him, be any different then killing the man while driving drunk.

In other words. If you intend to hurt someone and fail, should the penalty be any different then if you succeeded.

The severity of the infraction should be the determining factor in the punishment. Not the effect of it.
    Thorntons hit on Perron knocked him out for a long time, so should Thornton have been punished heavily because of it? No, the hit was very arguably not Thornton's fault at all and therefore the small punishment was warranted. If Thornton had done a flying elbow at Perron then he should get severe punishment, regardless of how bad Perron was hurt or not.

24. Nighthock

Nighthock FTP

Agreed. Bunch of crap ...

25. Leidi J

Leidi J Registered User

Edler loses $182,926.83

Ouch.