Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler suspended three games

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
I have no idea why everyone but Sharks fans thinks that wasn't suspension worthy.

Sharks fans immediately said Edler will get suspended. Very few non Sharks fans agreed. Most argued it was a clean check. I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious illegal check be defended so vehemently on the main board by neutral fans.

Is this because Sharks fans have seen so many borderline illegal check suspensions handed down to Sharks players that when an obvious case came up that was so clearly more egregious than most of the suspensions we have seen to our own players we could identify it. I said it before, but it's like the main board is living in some bizarro world that has a completely different replay than what we see.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
A lot of teal colored glasses here. I'm sorry. It's just not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Three is too many for Edler AND Stuart.

I can't remember which Sharks fan said it on the main boards, but we can't sit here and defend the hit on Perron then turn around and denounce Edler.

I think the issue for me is that all three (torres being the 3rd) are borderline/questionable plays. With the first two (Thornton and Torres) leading to suspensions (even though i'm not sure they should have), seeing this lead me to believe a suspension should be expected, even though i'm not still not sure one was warranted. I feel like at least there is starting to be some consistency, even if i don't necessarily agree with the decisions.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
On the flip side - i use Thornton's hit as a benchmark for what warrants suspension. Jumbo's incident occurred at a time when there was a lot of ambiguity. Even if the punishments have been inconsistent, there has still been a common, recognizable thread of who is going to get a phone call after the game.

I never had a doubt in my mind Edler was going to be sitting the next game.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
I think the hit was suspension worthy. Glad Shanny got it right.
My thinking is that I hope this doesn't negatively affect his huge confidence. Or rather, doesn't affect it for long. It seemed like he wasn't the same in the third... Hope I'm wrong.

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007
My thinking is that I hope this doesn't negatively affect his huge confidence. Or rather, doesn't affect it for long. It seemed like he wasn't the same in the third... Hope I'm wrong.
What? I thought he looked better in the third.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
In the end I'm just glad Hertl is fine and the Sharks won the game. Everything else means very little to me

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

He got his best scoring chances in the 3rd..hes fine.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I have no idea why everyone but Sharks fans thinks that wasn't suspension worthy.

Sharks fans immediately said Edler will get suspended. Very few non Sharks fans agreed. Most argued it was a clean check. I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious illegal check be defended so vehemently on the main board by neutral fans.

Is this because Sharks fans have seen so many borderline illegal check suspensions handed down to Sharks players that when an obvious case came up that was so clearly more egregious than most of the suspensions we have seen to our own players we could identify it. I said it before, but it's like the main board is living in some bizarro world that has a completely different replay than what we see.

That's gotta be it. When I saw the replay, I thought "something is wrong if shanny doesn't suspend him".

It's hard to fathom how many people on the main boards were surprised by this.

Edit = I meant this based off of past suspensions and current enforcement. I really didn't think the hit was vicious, but considering what's been going on, it was a boneheaded play and exactly the type hit the league is trying to eliminate. If the primary point of contact is the head, it's gonna get a second look whether the hit was avoidable or not. Anyone that thinks this hit wasn't avoidable, is delusional.

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

This is a good sign that we have the teal colored glasses on here, especially since its Vancouver that everyone's defending. Bottom line is Edler didn't leave his feet and kept his arm and elbow tucked in. You could argue that he never really intended to play the puck (that's the biggest complaint I have about the hit), but other than that it was just an unfortunate hockey play. I suppose whether or not he should get suspended - based on past rulings - is a separate issue, but I didn't have a problem with the hit itself.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

I think part of it is due to the fact that people want to take the Sharks new stud rookie down a notch and blame the hit on him, either because he was "showboating" the other night on the 4th goal (which I don't agree with) or they are just jelly.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
it really isn't that bad of a hit. however you guys, more than anyone, have experienced the new rules so of course you are going to be up in arms more then the rest. I fully plan to do the same for the rest of the year whether i agree with it or not.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
I think part of it is due to the fact that people want to take the Sharks new stud rookie down a notch and blame the hit on him, either because he was "showboating" the other night on the 4th goal (which I don't agree with) or they are just jelly.

I think you hit the nail on the head (no pun intended)

The vancouver fanbase's world view that the NHL is out to get them, and that they are specially targeted for bad calls, is endlessly entertaining. I have a hard time not commenting over there and getting kicked out of threads.

It's pretty clear what happened.

1. Sharks rookie has historical breakout game
2. Other fanbases think "Crap. Why the sharks? Why not us?"
3. Geriatriac paleo-nhl fans say "In my day, he'd be rocked for disrespecting his elders. Someone will take him down a notch and teach him a lesson"
4. Edler makes an obvious, premeditated, long-gliding, deliberate, illegal check to the head, much to the delight of jealous non-shark fans everywhere (especially the geriatric paleo-nhl fans) "hah! There! That'll teach the young'un to mind his Ps and Qs"
5. NHL makes routine suspension for repeat offender, clearly describes why it is illegal, reminds players that it has made such hits illegal
6. The aforementioned fans scream "the nhl is ruined"
7. The aforementioned fans then busily quote each other, claiming that "The vast majority of fans think the hit was clean", while calling each other "neutral"

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
it really isn't that bad of a hit. however you guys, more than anyone, have experienced the new rules so of course you are going to be up in arms more then the rest. I fully plan to do the same for the rest of the year whether i agree with it or not.

Yeah pretty much this. I knew it would be suspended but it's not a dirty hit.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Exactly. I don't agree with all the new rules, but the standard has been set. The league explained it was avoidable and unnecessary contact to the head. I understand what they're going for, but, don't agree with all of it.

After Stuart's unintentional hit to Nash's head in the prior game, I knew this was going to get a few games.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah pretty much this. I knew it would be suspended but it's not a dirty hit.

I agree, I think that a lot of the arguments Sharks fans made in the main thread was more so about whether or not this would be suspended and not so much about if it was a dirty hit. It wasn't very dirty but it was blatant and kinda reckless, and in accordance to what we've seen get suspended before, this should as well.

Horace

Oct 2, 2013
I think you hit the nail on the head (no pun intended)

The vancouver fanbase's world view that the NHL is out to get them, and that they are specially targeted for bad calls, is endlessly entertaining. I have a hard time not commenting over there and getting kicked out of threads.

It's pretty clear what happened.

1. Sharks rookie has historical breakout game
2. Other fanbases think "Crap. Why the sharks? Why not us?"
3. Geriatriac paleo-nhl fans say "In my day, he'd be rocked for disrespecting his elders. Someone will take him down a notch and teach him a lesson"
4. Edler makes an obvious, premeditated, long-gliding, deliberate, illegal check to the head, much to the delight of jealous non-shark fans everywhere (especially the geriatric paleo-nhl fans) "hah! There! That'll teach the young'un to mind his Ps and Qs"
5. NHL makes routine suspension for repeat offender, clearly describes why it is illegal, reminds players that it has made such hits illegal
6. The aforementioned fans scream "the nhl is ruined"
7. The aforementioned fans then busily quote each other, claiming that "The vast majority of fans think the hit was clean", while calling each other "neutral"

If there was an option to "like" a post you'd receive several

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
I was going to Hertl after seeing the hit on our prospect. Edler was doing what elders must do and teach him the art of keeping your head up. :nod:

Plowevelski

wuts this SCF thing?
Nov 19, 2010
BASED PETE DaBoAR
Well I say, that boy Hertl is not showing the great Canadian respect the game of hockey deserves. Edler was going out there being "old school" and teaching that young 19 year old punk Czech kid some respect! I mean if the game was 1-1 I'd have applauded his "little goal" go buy a poppy if you're a true Canadian!!! Jamie Benn > Hertl btw. :biglaugh:

Ok sorry enough making fun of Don Cherry. Edler's hit was ******** and literally an attempt at a direct headshot. Get that **** out of here. How much dirty bs have the Canucks pulled since last post season? Really? 3 games is almost a joke... Team is losing lets go hurt the new guy in the NHL making headlines. That's scummy ****. As a neutral observer I'd love seeing this kid play, he loves the game. I'm a fan of many players on opposing teams, but seriously Edler was never someone who really bothered me on Vancouver (surprisingly) but now he does. Disgusting... Enjoy the suspension you deserve more.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Well I say, that boy Hertl is not showing the great Canadian respect the game of hockey deserves. Edler was going out there being "old school" and teaching that young 19 year old punk Czech kid some respect! I mean if the game was 1-1 I'd have applauded his "little goal" go buy a poppy if you're a true Canadian!!! Jamie Benn > Hertl btw. :biglaugh:

Ok sorry enough making fun of Don Cherry. Edler's hit was ******** and literally an attempt at a direct headshot. Get that **** out of here. How much dirty bs have the Canucks pulled since last post season? Really? 3 games is almost a joke... Team is losing lets go hurt the new guy in the NHL making headlines. That's scummy ****. As a neutral observer I'd love seeing this kid play, he loves the game. I'm a fan of many players on opposing teams, but seriously Edler was never someone who really bothered me on Vancouver (surprisingly) but now he does. Disgusting... Enjoy the suspension you deserve more.

I haven't cared for Edler since his blatant kneeing of Staal in the 2013 World Cup.

Plowevelski

wuts this SCF thing?
Nov 19, 2010
BASED PETE DaBoAR
Oh wow that is putrid... I haven't seen that actually. Wow. WTF. Edler is now on my long list of "horrendous individuals in the NHL who shouldn't be" (I also support the Canes out east)

That's one of the worst knee-on-knees I've ever seen he just didn't care. Ridiculous :facepalm:

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks if Clowe was still here he'd probably take the 10 games and go confront Edler for attempting that crap on Hertl? I seriously think he would.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
As I said in the GDT for that game. I would've had no issue with any of our guys taking an instigator for that hit. Yes, my emotions may have been high, but I still stand by that. This "need to teach the rookie a lesson" crap is lame now that we know how detrimental concussions can be.

Plowevelski

wuts this SCF thing?
Nov 19, 2010
BASED PETE DaBoAR
As I said in the GDT for that game. I would've had no issue with any of our guys taking an instigator for that hit. Yes, my emotions may have been high, but I still stand by that. This "need to teach the rookie a lesson" crap is lame now that we know how detrimental concussions can be.

I agree, I mean I'm a huge Crosby critic due to his theatrics but I would have loved to see him on that pace he was on the season he got Concussed keep going like that. It was good play... Now we will never know.

This whole "teach a rookie a lesson" crap is garbage. Leave Mackinnon and Hertl alone and play fairly. I want to see the future look bright, not struggling to recover from horrendous concussions from a young age :facepalm:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

What the hell is Don Cherry talking about? "This is what they do?" He clearly knows nothing about Hertl. He wasn't laughing. He needs to do some research before running his mouth. That little rant is kind of offensive in several ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad