Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler suspended three games

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Truth is, this hit is nearly identical to the Torres hit. How anyone didn't see this suspension coming a mile away yesterday I just don't understand. Even if you don't agree with the stringent interpretation of the rules, that's clearly how it's going to be from now on. I don't know why we go on and on dissecting the wording. Contact with the head = suspension. One way or the other Shanny will find a way to interpret the rules and make it so. And I agree with that approach. Don't want to see any player's career ended for something so stupid.

The bolded part is just not accurate - the NHL isn't there yet so it's not that simple. They are definitely heading the right direction though.

There have been two 'headshots' already this year that were deemed legal by the NHL (Downie and Nolan) so hits to the head are still very much open to league interpretation.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I just hope out of all this is that Hertl learns not to trust any player on the ice. He can't leave himself vulnerable like that. Even if someone's intention is good, mistakes and freaky things can happen. No reason to risk it.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I just hope out of all this is that Hertl learns not to trust any player on the ice. He can't leave himself vulnerable like that. Even if someone's intention is good, mistakes and freaky things can happen. No reason to risk it.

Very pleased that that lesson will likely be learned without injury. Definitely a "good" which can come out of this.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A little severe, but I'm guessing if Edler didn't have a history of being a dirty POS it would have been just one game.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Good he got 3 games . . . Considering many in yesterday's GDT thought he wouldn't get anything, I think everyone can at least be somewhat relieved that wasn't the case.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Think about this for a moment.

Had Edler intentionally chosen to injure Hertl, would Hertl really have been fine? I doubt it. Edler probably had a chance to end his career. He had to make a hockey play.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Think about this for a moment.

Had Edler intentionally chosen to injure Hertl, would Hertl really have been fine? I doubt it. Edler probably had a chance to end his career. He had to make a hockey play.

And that hockey play allowed Wingels to run up the wing. Bad decision on all parts. If he played the puck, not only would he be not suspended, he wouldn't have allowed a scoring chance.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I feel like I'm missing something when people are trying to constitute he was attempting to play the puck? As far as my eyes can see, the puck was gliding against the boards to our defense while Edler took a path to Hertl. No effort on the puck, but even then Edler had an opportunity to change his emphasis of contact. If you notice a head down, hit through the shoulder/chest; not shoulder through the face. This whole thing could have easily been averted considering Edler was gliding meaning he could change his speed and direction very quickly. But didn't.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
And that hockey play allowed Wingels to run up the wing. Bad decision on all parts. If he played the puck, not only would he be not suspended, he wouldn't have allowed a scoring chance.

He didn't have a chance to play the puck.

He didn't actually follow through on the hit. He in no way tried to hit Hertl. It was just an awkward play gone wrong.

There's a reason the main boards are defending Vancouver. When's the last time you saw that happen?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

He didn't actually follow through on the hit. He in no way tried to hit Hertl. It was just an awkward play gone wrong.

There's a reason the main boards are defending Vancouver. When's the last time you saw that happen?

For one, I could care less what HF thinks. I don't base my thoughts on randoms from the internet.

I don't know how you can "follow through" on a clipping motion. There is nothing to hit after you've passed the point of contact. If he can't play the puck, why wouldn't he back up and position himself in order not to allow a scoring chance by Wingels? If any of our D went out of the way to make a hit, let the puck pass by, and then leave your goalie facing an unnecessary scoring chance, this board would be up in arms. I remember people screaming about Murray doing this all the time.

Edler made a bad decision. Hertl made a bad decision. The difference is that the onus is on the hitter when the opposing player hasn't changed positions prior to contact.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
You mean except for the part about not being allowed to hit someone who doesn't have the puck?

Hertl was about to touch the puck along the boards to poke it past Edler. A defenseman is absolutely allowed to step up and make that body check.

The hit to the head was the biggest issue.

West Coast Bias*

Of course he tried to hit Hertl. He adjusted his shoulder before making contact.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Now there's a thread in the polls section asking whether he should be suspended. Really? Obviously the only person who's opinion matters thought he should.

Three threads on the hit already? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but was there this much *****ing about Stuart being suspended?

Edit: LOL already taken down. good on the mods.

lunarbrian

Jan 28, 2009
Drew/Randy mentioned on the broadcast that someone tweeted them to pass along the league's ruling that Raffi Torres was suspended three games for Edler's hit on Hertl. Thought that was pretty funny.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Wow - lots of whining in the thread on the main board.

As long as the league starts getting more consistent with these calls.
I think 3 games is fair for Edler's hit.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Edler intended to hit Hertl. It wasn't a hockey play gone wrong.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
They don't call interference that way.

Not sure what you mean? That call is made fairly often with a defensman pinching in the zone while a forward tries to poke it out of the zone. Happens in front of the net when a forward is waiting on a pass. Playing the body on a loose puck gets called quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->