Confirmed with Link: Alex DeBrincat traded to Ottawa Senators

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
For sure, but I think you just have to reframe how you see everything.

It's a full teardown, it's going to get ugly, we're not going to like everything that happens, but whatever does happen there's no controlling it. I'd say for the most part I still have faith in KD and the gang even if that Cat trade was rough.

In the meantime, dream of Bedard and cling onto something positive. Many here poke fun at my allegiance to Ian Mitchell, but it does give me something to genuinely look forward to. That's a whole lot better than being miserable.
would rather embrace the tank and be optimistic about building an elite core than be a middling team like minnesota for two decades...as long as they have a vision thats all that matters, we're lucky that the hawks have good ownership that will allow it to happen and allow them to spend the money again to win when its necessary

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
What about him did you not like?
Size. First of all, I don't think you can win cups with midgets. Of course, there have been outliers such as St. Louis, Marchand, etc., but I don't think Cat is on their level. Second of all, I prefer skilled big guys such as Lemieux, Lindros, Draisaitl, etc.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This is not how you rebuild, give away 3 1sts for Jones but can’t get 2 1sts for Cat? Lol what is wrong with these people? This is truly pathetic.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There really isn't precedent for that type of package if one of the firsts is in the top 10 (admittedly an arbitrary cutoff point).

I went back to 2015 (another arbitrary cutoff point) and looked at all the trades where a team knew they were trading away a top 10 pick. Here they are:

2021: The somewhat convoluted OEL/Garland's rights for a bunch of short term salary, the 9OA and a 2nd. Hard to really compare this given all the salary considerations and the wide variance in valuations on OEL.

2017: Stepan and Raanta for the 7OA and Deangelo. This was a great move by Gorton, despite the fact that his pick tanked and Deangelo was a cancer (which he was prior to the trade as well). Deangelo was a former first rounder, but he had been traded the year prior for a 2nd rounder and had red flags aplenty. Certainly Cat is much better than Stepan/Raanta but Stepan had cost certainty whereas Cat very much does not.

And thats it! Teams very very rarely trade away their picks that they know are going to be at the top of the draft.

The Seth Jones trade was 2 firsts but it was a known 12OA and the Hawks likely expected the 2022 pick to be in the middle of the 1st round (not 6OA).

The Duchene trade has to be one of the most convoluted and horrible trades and again, it wasn't known what pick OTT would be giving up.

The Karlsson trade that ended up with a 3OA had conditions that made it unlikely to be a high first (which was 2 years later) and included two seconds. This is probably the closest comparison (and its not all that close) to the Cat trade when you consider talent and contract (and even then TDL deals are different than draft day deals). As much as I love Cat and think hes a top 25 player, at the time, Karlsson was probably a top 10 or so player. And Cat's contract situation is more or less about one year behind where Karlsson's was at the time (given Cat's high QO). Maybe those two differences even each other out. And again, Karlsson netted only one first which was not expected to be a high pick.

So all in all, there really is very little precedent for teams trading away a known high first round pick, and no precedent for trading a known high first round pick and another first rounder.

I think we all just had unrealistic expectations.
I agree here.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Kyle Davidson will not be around when this team is any good. Dude doesn't belong in his position. Might as well grab any newb from NHL 22 to be Blackhawks GM.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
And towards the end of next season we could see our NCAA guys start to sign like Slaggert, Kaiser, Commesso, and Rolston.
With Vlasic getting a contract year burned, the Hawks need to do the same with Kaiser after 2022-23. Can they do that with a goalie like Commesso? Slaggert could stick around for his senior year as his dad is an asst coach at Notre Dame and his brother will be there for the 2023-24 season.

Ryan Greene joins Commesso at Boston University. Greene should get a decent amount of ice time as BU seems weak at the forward positions.

Big Ten hockey, specifically Michigan and Notre Dame, should be interesting viewing for Hawks fans. Most of the forward talent has shipped out of Michigan. Nazar should have a featured role... along with Adam Fantilli.

NCAA hockey viewing will be more interesting than the Hawks in 2022-23.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
would rather embrace the tank and be optimistic about building an elite core than be a middling team like minnesota for two decades...as long as they have a vision thats all that matters, we're lucky that the hawks have good ownership that will allow it to happen and allow them to spend the money again to win when its necessary
Being the 2010-17 Wings or the 2010s-Present Wild is the definition of being stuck in nowhere.

Even if things worked differently and the players and prospects exceeded expectations, even the most genuine homer would know there would be like 7 teams ahead of us still in terms of possibly winning a cup. Bowmans galaxy brain rebuild-retool-all in plans from 2018-2022 wasted the last 6 years

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Had Bowman not been fired. The Hawks would be like the Flyers right now. Making odd additions and nonsense moves when nobody knows why. This is far better. Even though the on ice team will be awful. I for one think Kane is actually gonna stay still

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

what is the over/under that Cat would only negotiate a long term extension with Chicago right now and that affected his return a lot...seems like he had his mind set on staying here long term and has no desire to be in Ottawa

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

what is the over/under that Cat would only negotiate a long term extension with Chicago right now and that affected his return a lot...seems like he had his mind set on staying here long term and has no desire to be in Ottawa

It seems the Hawks had no intention of paying him $10M to suck.

Once the Hawks were uninterested in a long-term deal, I think his focus shifted to UFA which hurt the return.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016

Outside of copium...I'm going on hopium with this one....KD to the Cat "let us bottom out completely for 2 years and we will welcome you back as our captain when we begin to climb up."

HOPIUMMMMMMMM.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I never liked the idea of Kane and Cat on premier cap hits but I was very underwhelmed with the return. I'm okay with trading Cat and I don't think his value was ever going to be higher than it was on Thursday. Maybe they could have gotten a little more, but I certainly think they begin to get less after Thursday night.

I hope he has a great career.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
This is not how you rebuild, give away 3 1sts for Jones but can’t get 2 1sts for Cat? Lol what is wrong with these people? This is truly pathetic.
Davidson should have gotten more, but that delta is smaller than the difference between what should have been paid for Jones and what actually was paid. One can’t overstate how badly Bowman f***ed this club over.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
After that stupid ass phone call being recorded I'd love to see Cat sign here after his contract is up. Capitalize (kind of) on his trade value and then re-sign him in two years after we're hopefully headed out of the gutter

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
After that stupid ass phone call being recorded I'd love to see Cat sign here after his contract is up. Capitalize (kind of) on his trade value and then re-sign him in two years after we're hopefully headed out of the gutter
Hopefully we can bring Strome back too :naughty:

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Well it’s being reported DeBrincat not interested in resigning with Ottawa...our return for him doesn’t seem too shabby now...7th overall, 39th overall and a 2024 3rd rounder(anywhere between 65th and 96th) which is exactly what the Hawks were in line to get for a player making $6.4 million compensation wise...now if the Sens decide not to match a offer sheet they’ll receive a better package but I’m fine with what the Hawks got now...have a looksee...

Well it’s being reported DeBrincat not interested in resigning with Ottawa...our return for him doesn’t seem too shabby now...7th overall, 39th overall and a 2024 3rd rounder(anywhere between 65th and 96th) which is exactly what the Hawks were in line to get for a player making $6.4 million compensation wise...now if the Sens decide not to match a offer sheet they’ll receive a better package but I’m fine with what the Hawks got now...have a looksee...
Kevin Korchinski
Paul Ludwinski
2014 3rd rounder

Attachments

• F6484A64-72A8-4736-BCB6-DA8160776098.png
    F6484A64-72A8-4736-BCB6-DA8160776098.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 2

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Kevin Korchinski
Paul Ludwinski
2014 3rd rounder
All I've heard is that he won't sign an extension now because he's waiting to see how he fits on the team and if he (and his wife) likes it in Ottawa.

So it's not a foregone conclusion that he's leaving.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Yeah, I haven't seen anywhere saying that he doesn't want to re-sign, just people speculating because it's Ottawa.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
All I've heard is that he won't sign an extension now because he's waiting to see how he fits on the team and if he (and his wife) likes it in Ottawa.

So it's not a foregone conclusion that he's leaving.
I think Ottawa is on the right track to becoming a respectable franchise and the city is quite nice. If I was a betting man, I'd say Cat stays.

Reactions: Njfj

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad