Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Again, the offensive skill of Spezza was never an issue. Considering he played the PP1 and was the primary shooter, he should have a strong +/-. Chiasson wouldn't be on this team if Spezza was a good leader, played a developed two-way game and limited the untimely turnovers. It is what it is.

A lot to like about Chiasson as a second/third line wing.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Chiasson has shown early that he has a high IQ for the game and is an offensive threat around the net. 3 PP goals early and whenever I see #90 on the ice in the offensive zone something tends to get generated. Love the trade. BM + his Scouts really know how to evaluate young hockey players.

Weren't there a bunch around here that thought they this was a bad trade, in part because Chiasson wasn't (supposedly) a good player?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Weren't there a bunch around here that thought they this was a bad trade, in part because Chiasson wasn't (supposedly) a good player?

I think most people were disappointed with not getting a first. I wasnt over the moon for chiasson. Guy hasnt exactly proved me wrong because he is a weaker defensive player but his ability to battle in front of the net has been impressive. I wanted a player that could score 20 goals for spezza. Not sure chiasson will ever be that.

BigBush*

I think most people were disappointed with not getting a first. I wasnt over the moon for chiasson. Guy hasnt exactly proved me wrong because he is a weaker defensive player but his ability to battle in front of the net has been impressive. I wanted a player that could score 20 goals for spezza. Not sure chiasson will ever be that.
Chiasson is on pace for 27 goals and 54 points in 82 games in his second NHL season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lol ya I don't see him keeping that pace up, but I think he'll consistently hover around 20 goals per season, good second liner

yes, and paul could end up a very good 3rd liner maybe 2nd line LW. Then we have the 2nd. It was a good trade for 7M player we didn't really want and who didn't want to be here.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
facts? really? you should know better...
however in the interest of comparison lets see:

by the time Spezza was 24:

322 games played
116 goals
216 assists

332 pts and a +87

by the time Chiasson was 24:

101 games played
24 goals
28 assists

52 pts while sporting a tidy -24

but of course Chiasson is a better player and fit for us. lol.
its amazing that people can write that kind of stupid **** but still manage to get dressed in the morning, or drink something without it all dribbling down their face all over their clothes.

They are not comparable: The players they play with are also not comparable. By the time Spezza cemented himself in the league he was already playing with an established veteran team, that had been in the show a few times and was on the cusp of being a cup contender. He had the likes of Alfredsson and dare I say Hossa, to work with. Spezza was a plus early on in his career because of 1. Martin 2.Alfredsson and 3. He had a lot more behind him regarding Fisher a defensive minded 2/3 line center.

We have a young team now, and the balance of this team is a lot different. Chiasson has the potential to be a good power forward with some hands. Will he ever be Spezza? No... but he is young enough to learn how to back check and play a 200ft game whilst getting this team points every second night. Spezza never learned how to play 200ft. We did not keep Martin long enough to drill it into him. Murray let his players play a more free style game... it was great until we came up against the Ducks in 2007 and they shut us down.

Dallas can have Spezza... I am glad that we got some potential young talent for him. An aside: our 2nd round draft pick in this past draft was excellent. Either way, this team is a different team, skates differently, hits differently, exits and enters the zone differently.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Chiasson is on pace for 27 goals and 54 points in 82 games in his second NHL season.

In his first seven games in the NHL he was on pace for a goal per game over his entire NHL career I'm pretty sure.

These boards take pace waaaayyy too seriously.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its amazing how this guy is the centrepiece in the spazza trade and he ust seems to fit right in and gets so little attention. I love his tendance to get to the filthy areas, totally underrated.

If Chiasson was a Sens draft pick, he would have been our best prospect over Silfverberg in 2011-12... Well, depends how strong the Sweden bias was.

102 Games 24 Goals 28 Assists 52 Points

vs

122 Games 21 Goals 31 Assists 52 Points

Guess who is who?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If Chiasson was a Sens draft pick, he would have been our best prospect over Silfverberg in 2011-12... Well, depends how strong the Sweden bias was.

102 Games 24 Goals 28 Assists 52 Points

vs

122 Games 21 Goals 31 Assists 52 Points

Guess who is who?

I'll take Silf over Chiasson. The offensive numbers are a bit better Chia but defensively Silf >> Chia

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
He's the perfect player to stand in front of the net on the PP (instead of guys like Neil). He's big, great at deflecting pucks and putting in rebounds, and he has excellent hockey sense as well. I'm very happy with his play so far, especially considering Mika was an offensive black hole for the first 10 games or so.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll take Silf over Chiasson. The offensive numbers are a bit better Chia but defensively Silf >> Chia

Silf is perimeter no way am I taking him over Chiasson who goes to the net real hard.

Zibanejad Pageau Chiasson

Id like to see this line.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
They are not comparable: The players they play with are also not comparable. By the time Spezza cemented himself in the league he was already playing with an established veteran team, that had been in the show a few times and was on the cusp of being a cup contender. He had the likes of Alfredsson and dare I say Hossa, to work with. Spezza was a plus early on in his career because of 1. Martin 2.Alfredsson and 3. He had a lot more behind him regarding Fisher a defensive minded 2/3 line center.

We have a young team now, and the balance of this team is a lot different. Chiasson has the potential to be a good power forward with some hands. Will he ever be Spezza? No... but he is young enough to learn how to back check and play a 200ft game whilst getting this team points every second night. Spezza never learned how to play 200ft. We did not keep Martin long enough to drill it into him. Murray let his players play a more free style game... it was great until we came up against the Ducks in 2007 and they shut us down.

Dallas can have Spezza... I am glad that we got some potential young talent for him. An aside: our 2nd round draft pick in this past draft was excellent. Either way, this team is a different team, skates differently, hits differently, exits and enters the zone differently.

i agree they are not comparable in any way, which is why it was so annoying to have someone do it pretty much just to **** on spezza. that's why i responded, its tiring reading that bull ****.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Again, the offensive skill of Spezza was never an issue. Considering he played the PP1 and was the primary shooter, he should have a strong +/-. Chiasson wouldn't be on this team if Spezza was a good leader, played a developed two-way game and limited the untimely turnovers. It is what it is.

A lot to like about Chiasson as a second/third line wing.

Considering they dont include PP or PK in +/- im going to say this conversation isnt worth continuing. it is what it is.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
i agree they are not comparable in any way, which is why it was so annoying to have someone do it pretty much just to **** on spezza. that's why i responded, its tiring reading that bull ****.

Regardless on comparing the 2 you are missing 3 other pieces in the trade. It's like getting a Big Mac combo at McDonald's and only valuing the price you pay on the Big Mac and ignoring the fries and coke.

Wonder carrot, how do you get up in the morning and dress yourself and drink water out of a cup without spilling it, but post this utter nonsense?

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Regardless on comparing the 2 you are missing 3 other pieces in the trade. It's like getting a Big Mac combo at McDonald's and only valuing the price you pay on the Big Mac and ignoring the fries and coke.

Wonder carrot, how do you get up in the morning and dress yourself and drink water out of a cup without spilling it, but post this utter nonsense?

Go pick a fight elsewhere, im responding to a stupid comparison from earlier in the thread. It is not a comment on Chiasson (whom as ive said any number of times i like), nor is it an evaluation of the the trade (since that's not what i was responding to)

So in fact what this really is is you pulling up to a Burger King and asking for a Big Mac because you are lost. Feel free to find a map and rejoin the conversation when you orient yourself.

BigBush*

fits in so well with the identity of this team. such a hard worker, love how he has his teammates back. some clutch goals to

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

That describes where my mind was on the trade. I am still not sure about Chiasson but I am willing to give him more time to get his game together. He does have size and decent skating and goes to the front of the net. He is young and should improve with time. Nick Paul appears to have very good potential too, plus the second round pick might provide a useful player. I view Guptil as a trade return for Ludwig Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad