Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Melnyk would have made it work for sure (like he did for karlsson, ryan, macarthur)...... Hornqvist is a better player right now and is also 'young'

Probably would've just not signed Legwand.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Melnyk would have made it work for sure (like he did for karlsson, ryan, macarthur)...... Hornqvist is a better player right now and is also 'young'

Sure he would have made it work

Doesn't change that for the budget younger is better

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
easier said than done

I wouldn't be surprised if Chia puts up 50 points this year

Chiasson has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't watch Dallas very much last year so I wasn't sure what to expect but he's very very solid. Plays well at both ends of the ice, makes smart plays, strong on the puck and a physical forechecker. I don't see why his current pace of 50-55 points and 20-25 goals isn't sustainable.

Moreover, if Zibby keeps improving and the kid line remains strong, 3/4 of our lines will be very tough to play against.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
can do things that other players on the team cannot. really like him so far. one of my favorites. makes smart plays with the puck.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
It's just so weird to see him out there. He looks like and skates like Spezza. Sometimes I forget it's even him.

He makes mistakes which is normal for a guy with under 100 games in the NHL but he does a lot of things right. I really like his play so far.

Considering Spezza was going to leave at the end of the season, he alone almost makes this deal worth it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
MacArthur-Turris-Chiasson
Ryan-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Legwand-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Neil/Condra

Lazar, one more year to develop in juniors

well id say hornqvist and chiuasson are comparable.

smalling isnt a terrible prospect, if paul continues to trend upwards then yeah it blows the preds offer out of the water.

It's Spaling and he isn't a prospect...

why are you inclusing the 11th overall pick..did pittsburgh acquire that as well? and i would probably take pierre dorian at 11th overall.

Because that's what was rumoured IIRC, but you're right, not going to assume rumours are facts.

The way I see it is Spezza had more value in the eyes of the Preds...

Neal for Hornqvist + Spalling
Spezza for Hornqvist + Spalling + 1st (could have been another piece attached to Spezza, so many things could have happened ad we have no idea of the reality. I'm speculating there, something I don't do a lot)

For the record:

11th OA >>> 2nd + Guptill

I have zero faith in Guptill to be anything even remotely resembling an NHL player. To me, it's like saying a 2nd rounder is as good as the 11th overall pick - that's how little I think of Guptill.

I see your point if you think that Guptill has no value. However considering his skillset and the assumption that the Sens WANTED him in the deal (and wasn't a throw in), and seeing how another prospect they wanted in Paul is doing... he might be worth something

It's also the difference between 11th OA pick in a weak draft vs mid 2nd round pick in a great draft... Not as huge as usual but yeah, it's my opinion. I'll finish saying : that's how little I think of the 2014 draft ;)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
MacArthur-Turris-Chiasson
Ryan-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-Legwand-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Neil/Condra

Lazar, one more year to develop in juniors

It's Spaling and he isn't a prospect...

Because that's what was rumoured IIRC, but you're right, not going to assume rumours are facts.

The way I see it is Spezza had more value in the eyes of the Preds...

Neal for Hornqvist + Spalling
Spezza for Hornqvist + Spalling + 1st (could have been another piece attached to Spezza, so many things could have happened ad we have no idea of the reality. I'm speculating there, something I don't do a lot)

I see your point if you think that Guptill has no value. However considering his skillset and the assumption that the Sens WANTED him in the deal (and wasn't a throw in), and seeing how another prospect they wanted in Paul is doing... he might be worth something

It's also the difference between 11th OA pick in a weak draft vs mid 2nd round pick in a great draft... Not as huge as usual but yeah, it's my opinion. I'll finish saying : that's how little I think of the 2014 draft ;)

First point: youre right i dono why i still think of him as a young up and coming kid.

second: I thought we were offered the same deal for spezza as was given for neal. could be wrong. but if we were offered the 11th..

third: i think fiala, vrana,tuch, larkin, sanheim, fabbri, deangelo are all better talents than what we will be picking from (at face value, i realize there could be a steal) in the 2nd round this year.
I think people over blow the greatness and weaknesses of every draft. theyre not all made equal, but theyre certainly isnt huge gulfs in class like fanbases make them out.

All in all i dont regret the bobby Ryan trade, and i dont regret the spezza trade.

BigBush*

I've been really impressed with Michalek and Zib's overall play the last few games.
Expect Mickalek-Zib-Chia to really heat up as the season goes on

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
First point: youre right i dono why i still think of him as a young up and coming kid.

second: I thought we were offered the same deal for spezza as was given for neal. could be wrong. but if we were offered the 11th..

third: i think fiala, vrana,tuch, larkin, sanheim, fabbri, deangelo are all better talents than what we will be picking from (at face value, i realize there could be a steal) in the 2nd round this year.
I think people over blow the greatness and weaknesses of every draft. theyre not all made equal, but theyre certainly isnt huge gulfs in class like fanbases make them out.

All in all i dont regret the bobby Ryan trade, and i dont regret the spezza trade.

I was super low on this 2014 draft. You're right that people over blow the greatness and weaknesses of every draft, but look back at past drafts (dating back to 1996 lol) and you'll see very big differences from year to year.

Also I didn't mean that the 2nd in 2015 has more value than the 11th OA in 2014, but Guptill makes it a lot closer than people think... Many times, many teams don't even pick up a prospect as good as Guptill with that pick (not saying Guptill is an extraordinary prospect). Guptill is a high boom-bust type, more likely to bust but you never know.

For fun :

1996 : Dan Focht
1997 : Jason Ward
1998 : Jeff Heerema
1999 : Oleg Saprykin
2000 : Pavel Vorobiev
2001 : Fredrik Sjostrom
2002 : Keith Ballard
2003 : Jeff Carter (one of the best drafts ever)
2004 : Lauri Tukonen
2005 : Anze Kopitar (should have been Brian Lee :sarcasm:)
2006 : Jonathan Bernier
2007 : Brandon Sutter
2008 : Kyle Beach
2009 : Ryan Ellis
2010 : Jack Campbell
2011 : Duncan Siemens
2012 : Filip Forsberg (guy should really have been drafted higher, didn't get that one)
2013 : Samuel Morin

A few decent to great picks there, but far from a guarantee, so in a weak draft I'm not expecting those great "hits" (notice how the hits are in general in great draft years)

NOTE : I guess we can still quote each other, in retrospect I realized that I don't always disagree with you lol

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was super low on this 2014 draft. You're right that people over blow the greatness and weaknesses of every draft, but look back at past drafts (dating back to 1996 lol) and you'll see very big differences from year to year.

Also I didn't mean that the 2nd in 2015 has more value than the 11th OA in 2014, but Guptill + that 2nd is actually a lot closer to that 11th than people think... Many times, many teams don't even pick up a prospect as good as Guptill with that pick (not saying Guptill is an extraordinary prospect)

For fun :

2012 : Filip Forsberg (guy should really have been drafted higher, didn't get that one)

A few decent to great picks there, but far from a guarantee, so in a weak draft I'm not expecting those great "hits"

NOTE : I guess we can still quote each other, in retrospect I realized that I don't always disagree with you lol

I would rather have Fiala than a guy like Noel/Bracco/Brisbois/Gropp (range of 35-55), but Fiala would be taken much, much closer to those guys in the 2015 draft than he would to the 11th overall pick.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Also I didn't mean that the 2nd in 2015 has more value than the 11th OA in 2014, but Guptill makes it a lot closer than people think... Many times, many teams don't even pick up a prospect as good as Guptill with that pick (not saying Guptill is an extraordinary prospect). Guptill is a high boom-bust type, more likely to bust but you never know.

For fun :

A few decent to great picks there, but far from a guarantee, so in a weak draft I'm not expecting those great "hits" (notice how the hits are in general in great draft years)

knew you'd come around, curious as to what changes your mind

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
knew you'd come around, curious as to what changes your mind

Frankly when I read the posts I don't always check who is the poster, I do it mainly when I find it very good or very bad... It's just that I have read a streak of your posts that I was disagreeing with entirely, but then I read another streak and I was confused as like "what the heck? It's not true that I always disagree with this poster". So yeah, it was probably just an over-reaction on my part. There's so many things written on this board and I try to go fast to not spend too much time here so misjudgements are bound to happen. So, in reality, sometimes I agree sometimes I disagree with you. There's some posters I almost always agree with and very few now that I always disagree with. But it could be that team is doing well so the mood is not too bad.

Jack of Blades

Nov 14, 2013
Dallas
Really hoping to see Chiasson succeed in Ottawa. He's built somewhat of a goal scorer reputation, or at least in his first few months in Dallas he did, but he's much more of a playmaking winger than a scorer. He seems sort of like a Hemsky type of guy. He just needs to work on his skating. During his Dallas days, his skating was probably the biggest knock against him. Anyway, hopefully he becomes a helluva player for y'all! We're certainly loving Spezza here in Dallas.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's been good but I'm not sure how much I like him on the top line honestly

I do especially like him on the PP however

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's the kind of guy who will find a way to have points here and there. It's true that he is more of a playmaker than a scorer. He makes nice plays but sometimes a little too risky( a little like Spezza). What I really like is that he doesn't mind going to the front of the net and gets some tips and garbage goals. He is also one of our best player along the boards with Ryan.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Dominant net front presence similar to Holmstrom. Needs to improve defensively and i still question his stamina or skating. He seems to be slow getting back

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Someone mentioned his skating as a weakness - which seems odd as i find it one of his strengths for a big guy.
AC is a really nice addition to the team, he's big and difficult to move off the puck, skates well, plays a hard game IMO, he always seems to have more skill than i think he's going to show.
I think he's the type of guy who will be even more valuable in the playoffs as well.
I like that he gets visibly fired up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad