Confirmed with Link: Alex Burrows has announced his retirement (accepts coaching position w/ Laval Rocket)

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Ray Ferraro made a good point.
--
What if Burrows doesnt score that goal against Chicago?
Would they blow it up? trade the sedins?
Don't know about trading the Sedins but almost certainly the Luongo experiment would have been over then and there...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Alex Burrows.

Much love and much respect to you good sir.

You will forever be known as the man that slayed the Dragon.

If my future Canuck players have even half the heart that you had, I know my team will be in good hands.

Much love and respect.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'll always remember Patrick Sharp all alone in the slot and Bieksa swimming on his stomach. I thought it was over.

Luongo had just signed that massive deal IIRC, he wasn't going anywhere.

Sedins would have been gone for sure. The revolt would have been biblical, don't think they would be nearly as revered had Sharp scored.

Kesler would have likely been the #1 centre for a while. Don't think he gets traded in his prime.

Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff...any of them could have been moved for big returns.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He's probably better off not working for a bunch of buffoons anyway.

not that his new colleagues in the canadiens org are brain surgeons but yeah, not a bad idea to go with the morons you don’t know. at least there’s some small chance of being pleasantly surprised.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I remember when Alex Burrows showed up at his first training camp with the Canucks, playing in the shadow of draftees lie Kiril Koltsov....yes that's how long ago it was. You could tell he had speed off the wing, but didn't particularly stand out. Ended up in the ECHL and would have ended his career there if Craig Heisinger hadn't believed in him and thrown him a lifeline with the Manitoba Moose....from there he willed himself into the NHL.

I think it's one of the reasons the Canucks keep signing undrafted FA's....because you just never know. Maybe kids like Chatfield, MacEwen or Carcone can be the next Burrows. Even at the end of his career, he still delivered for the Canucks. Traded for Jonathan Dahlen at last year's deadline, who could be scoring for VanCity for the next decade.

Burrows belongs in the Canucks ring of honor. I hope it happens as early as next season.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As a Bruins fan, I absolutely hated Burrows. But, I have respect for the intensity he brought to the game and the fact that he had to fight for his spot in the NHL. Also a guy who played to win, period. Even though he attracted negative attention for some of his antics, he never came across as a selfish player to me.

Best of luck to him in retirement, and I'd play ball hockey with him anytime.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
None of his teammates hated him, jesus. What a crock of ****. I get it that what he said to P'OS was over the line, but good god. Let it go. It's not like he molested him or something. It was an off color remark that happened what? More than a decade ago?
Seriously:

"Fun fact. Alex Burrows goes out of his way in the summer to attend charity events put on by other players to get people to like him. It doesn’t work"

Is approaching the same level of classlessness as the remark Burrows made (*which he apologized for*) - especially since POS is still yakking about the issue today (that quoted comment was from FEB 2018).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking forward to him getting a proper send-off here. The one when he came back on the Sens was pretty weak.

member 290103

Seriously:

"Fun fact. Alex Burrows goes out of his way in the summer to attend charity events put on by other players to get people to like him. It doesn’t work"

Is approaching the same level of classlessness as the remark Burrows made (*which he apologized for*) - especially since POS is still yakking about the issue today (that quoted comment was from FEB 2018).

POS might note this:

Ex-Canuck Dan Hamhuis: Alex Burrows was 'a tremendous teammate' - Sportsnet.ca

Odd that an ex-teammate would go out of his way to call him a "tremendous teammate."

Or this (KB3 Twitter):

A lot of good memories with this jambon Been an honor. If you’re a kid trying to make it to the NHL follow ⁦@aburr14⁩ ‘s template. Hard working, determined, smart & great teammate!!! Ignore the suspect haircuts, tight pants and tick accent

Sounds like he might have been a pretty good teammate. Sorry POS. (An apt acronym for him).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Highly doubt the Canucks would’ve been blown up if Chicago beat them. When is the last time a team traded just about every core member because of a playoff loss? Just seems like a fantasy people like to play out IMO.

Choke or whatever, highly doubt Sedins are traded among a few others.

Reactions: Jyrki21

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Y’all should know by now to never post any Canucks related shit on the main boards.

I haven’t forgotten the hate we get, so no use

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
As a Bruins fan, I absolutely hated Burrows. But, I have respect for the intensity he brought to the game and the fact that he had to fight for his spot in the NHL. Also a guy who played to win, period. Even though he attracted negative attention for some of his antics, he never came across as a selfish player to me.

Best of luck to him in retirement, and I'd play ball hockey with him anytime.
Thanks for posting this, good to see some of our old enemies feel this way. I am of the minority of Canucks fans who likes Marchand for the same reasons you stated about Burrows, except of course Marchand being more talented, but Burrows story of how he came up is a nice one for the underdog

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Highly doubt the Canucks would’ve been blown up if Chicago beat them. When is the last time a team traded just about every core member because of a playoff loss? Just seems like a fantasy people like to play out IMO.

Choke or whatever, highly doubt Sedins are traded among a few others.
Well, AV would've been gone for sure, probably most of the coaching staff. I'm not sure if the core roster would've been blown up, though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok ok let’s not forget that POS’ dad beat the daylights out of him and terrorized his family for years. if it’s easier for him to focus on something burrows once said, and to look at the career burrows made for himself with much less talent, physical tools, opportunities, but more passion and hard work and hate on it, then let him vent as long as he wants to.

i’m sure alex doesn’t mind. i mean, compared to what his dad took away from him, beginning when he was a child...

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Can we put him in the Ring of Honour before we play Chicago?

I got to watch the Dragon Slayer goal live, it still sends chills down my spine thinking about it. I don't know if I'll ever get to experience as good a sports moment as a Canucks fan ever again.

Reactions: Zombotron

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015

I got to watch the Dragon Slayer goal live, it still sends chills down my spine thinking about it. I don't know if I'll ever get to experience as good a sports moment as a Canucks fan ever again.
dammmnnn thats insane.

tickets must be like $500 for nosebleeds.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Looks like there's only one home date vs. Chicago, on Halloween. That'd have to be it

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Lol who cares what other fans thin

I like Burrows, he scored one of the biggest goals for us in recent memory and he’s done a bunch for the community. Ring of Honor is fine by me

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Congrats Burrows! I know plenty of the league hated you, but that's part of what made you special to the Canucks.

Hopefully, you enjoy retirement and things turn out well in Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad