Confirmed with Link: Alex Burrows has announced his retirement (accepts coaching position w/ Laval Rocket)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great heart and soul player for the Canucks...Only makes it more so from his humble start in the ECHL...Probably the most despised Canuck ever (by other fanbases)..Best of luck to Burrows..He has to be a certainty for the Ring Of Honour.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
The ultimate underdog, my favorite Canuck of the modern era. A ball hockey player/ECHL player turned in to a top 6 NHL player truly amazing story and individual. Will miss watching him play.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder what Patrick O'Sullivan is saying on twitter.

He blocked me a awhile back
I'm assuming he is going on some massive rant right now.

He's butthurt by it, as expected. Trying to push the narrative that some of his teammates hated him, etc.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Well thats a shot to the gut :(

Man o man Burrows is my FAVE player cant believe is retiring and double cant believe hes gonna be somehow associated with the Rat Habs geeeeeeeze louise hope is short term and comes back to us or a more respectable organization at least

My first ever EVER NHL game was Game 7 against Chicago when he scored in OT to send us on to the 2nd round. Miss ya Burr, come on back :nod:

Reactions: dim jim

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ray Ferraro made a good point.
--
What if Burrows doesnt score that goal against Chicago?
Would they blow it up? trade the sedins?

It probably would have worked out better for us in the long run if they lost that game.

They would have gotten a King's Ransom for the Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Ehrhoff. Maybe even Luongo as well.

Likely win a 1st overall between 2012-2014 as well.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Well thats a shot to the gut :(

Man o man Burrows is my FAVE player cant believe is retiring and double cant believe hes gonna be somehow associated with the Rat Habs geeeeeeeze louise hope is short term and comes back to us or a more respectable organization at least

My first ever EVER NHL game was Game 7 against Chicago when he scored in OT to send us on to the 2nd round. Miss ya Burr, come on back :nod:
wow. that is an awesome first game.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It probably would have worked out better for us in the long run if they lost that game.

They would have gotten a King's Ransom for the Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Ehrhoff. Maybe even Luongo as well.

Likely win a 1st overall between 2012-2014 as well.
Yes would have been nice to delay that great run to the stanley Cup game 7 for another 10-20yrs

member 290103

He's ******** by it, as expected. Trying to push the narrative that some of his teammates hated him, etc.

None of his teammates hated him, jesus. What a crock of shit. I get it that what he said to P'OS was over the line, but good god. Let it go. It's not like he molested him or something. It was an off color remark that happened what? More than a decade ago?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Vancouver won 5 playoff rounds during their time in the penthouse - 3 were closed out in overtime and 2 of those came off of Burr's stick (Bieksa got the other)

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
lemme just say now that burrows' and kesler's shorthanded antics in 2007-08 were a pivotal factor in securing my fandom of this team forever - just f***ing clowning on the opposition

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Just like the Sedins this retirement is quite sad. Fan favourite.

Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa were just absolute trolls during their prime.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man. I remember watching each day of the 2003 Prospects Camp where Burrows was a free agent invite. I had to keep searching out information to find out who this guy was that was dominating so much. I think in two prospect inter squad games, he had 4 goals and 5 assists. I was shocked when the Canucks opted not to sign him after that, but Craig Heisinger brought him into the fold in our farm system, thank heavens.

His rise up to the NHL from there is the ultimate Canucks underdog story. I loved watching him and Kesler play on their "frick and frack" line, and his work with the Twins was absolute dynamite. He always showed up in the big games and scored at the big moments. He was a great teammate and a pillar in the Vancouver community.

Opponents may hate him, sure, but that was by design. He was out there to win and rattle their cages - not make friends. He's not the first guy who ever had a reputation for saying or doing whatever it took to win, that's for sure.

And he may ultimately be remembered for that around the league. But here (for me, anyway) he'll be remembered as one part of the best offensive line this team has ever had, and the guy who scored some of the biggest goals in franchise history.

He should be Ring of Honour bound ASAP. Congratulations on the greatest career no one ever saw coming, Burr. You'll always be our Dragonslayer. All the best in the coaching career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad