Ales Hemsky Appreciation Thread

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not to derail, but I don't follow him.

What's his deal?

PS Love Hemsky

He used to be a regular blogger at Oilersnation, not sure why he left, thought I read somewhere that it was a mutual departure but that could be my imagination. Big stats guy (no problem), seemed to be condescending and pompous as a default position. If you read his tweets, it's how his articles read.

Honestly at times he seemed earnest and I agreed with him, typically when the attitude was curbed. Something he is known for is his absolute hatred of Russel. As in, thinks the guy is the worst defender in the NHL. I'm not a huge Russel fan, but that's hilarious.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly both of those players seem like genuinely nice guys too.

Difference between them and Hemsky is that Hemsky was a good player.

Those other two aren’t.
Lots of stories while Yakupov was here regarding how he treated people around town. I’m sure they were the reason he had so many supporters for as long as he did.

Oct 15, 2008
Here’s the full context:

Reading Ales Hemsky's mind

That’s a far cry from JP demanding a trade or Yak playing games through his agent.

Also there’s a difference between an established player expressing his opinion and an unproven prospect with a sense of entitlement demanding a trade.

He was a smart guy stating the obvious in a frank but measured statement.

He could have said ‘my coach is a complete ass, likely the dumbest man in hockey’ but he is too nice and cleaned it up for the public while still making his feelings known.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
We can rebuild him, we have the technology.
Better...stronger...faster.

I'd love to have vintage Hemsky, even 5 years ago Hemsky would make this team. Bring him back now and it would just taint his memory. I'd rather he always be the player in the highlights shown in this thread.

Thanks for the memories Ales.

Reactions: Todd Parchment

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
One of the most fearless players to wear the Oiler silks in a long time - was on the trade block constantly, never complained, never asked to leave and answered openly and honestly during his time here. Never had anything bad to say about the city, fans and gave the Oilers fans something to cheer about for many years. Yeah, he needed to shoot more, and no he didn't fight and that seemed to piss off a lot of Oiler fans, who would constantly call for his head night in and night out. Regardless, he was one of the best stick handlers and passers I've ever seen (I was born after the dynasty years) and one of the more underrated players in the league for overall skill, finesse and ability on the ice.

No one around here, and maybe only 5 Oilers since Hemsky would and would have gone into the corner to retrieve the puck with Regher breathing down his neck, fully knowing what was going to happen. Anyone who still argues that this guy was soft is a dingus.

I never bought a Hemsky jersey because of the fact that he was on the trade block essentially every second that he was an Oiler, but f*** it: 2019-2020 jersey with his name on it.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

Fov2upx.png

Reactions: sepHF and oil Leaks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I could be wrong but I think he just had a kid

Checked social media and he did indeed have a second child

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Ales Hemsky was an incredible Oiler. A consummate professional who left it all on the ice and gave this city every ounce of himself. As noted by @ohheyhemsky, he was criminally underappreciated by a lot of Oilers fans and was constantly "being shopped". Didn't pout, worked on the aspects of his game that were criticized and improved. He never had a ton of help here and did all he could to help the team win. Will never forget his 06 Playoffs and those big moments against Detroit.

Wish that he had come along a decade or so later near McDavid's draft and ended up an Oiler. Think those two would have been ridiculous together whether at even strength or on the PP. Him and Drai as well... man, the possibilities if we had a winger like prime Hemmer again.

Last edited:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Seems a little obnoxious to stick a rookie into the credit card game right off the bat, unless the vet swooping in is part of the fun. Make him sweat a little and then save the day kind of thing.

Regardless, Hemsky was a class act. It's a pity he was always saddled with crappy teams outside of 06.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Seems a little obnoxious to stick a rookie into the credit card game right off the bat, unless the vet swooping in is part of the fun. Make him sweat a little and then save the day kind of thing.

Regardless, Hemsky was a class act. It's a pity he was always saddled with crappy teams outside of 06.
It was Horcoff's idea. :sarcasm:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hemsky was a great talent and a whole lot of fun to watch. But I never thought he had the greatest hockey sense and vision to go along with that immense talent.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Ales had the silkiest and smoothest mitts in the game. Tough, fearless, and classy player. 6' 185lbs right winger with a pass-first mentality.

My 2009 #83 jersey is a treasure of mine. He had the 'A' that year, and the jersey has the 30 year shoulder patch. :D

He's "only 35"... wonder if he'll show up in Czech or KHL for an encore?

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016

Y'all know the credit card game is fixed right?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Here’s the full context:

Reading Ales Hemsky's mind

That’s a far cry from JP demanding a trade or Yak playing games through his agent.

Also there’s a difference between an established player expressing his opinion and an unproven prospect with a sense of entitlement demanding a trade.

I can remember being incredibly pissed off seeing Hemsky playing a checking roll. It was one of the team's worst failures.
What would have happened if Jordan Eberle was told to do that when he showed up in the league? Would he have been benched into obscurity?

Hemsky already had a reputation for getting injured due to his team not having enough skill and he often took it upon himself to go into dirty areas to make plays. To tell the guy that it's his job to do that 100% of the time was downright homicide.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Y'all know the credit card game is fixed right?
I've heard of them just making the rookie pay for a night out before, but to go through the trouble of the credit card game with the same result seems lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad