Ales Hemsky Appreciation Thread

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ales Hemsky when he was at his very best was one of the most electrifying and exciting players in the entire NHL. He was able to handle the puck at top speeds in a way few other in the league could match. He played with a reckless abandon that at times I both admired and cringed at. He was never afraid to take a thunderous hit to make a play.

As one of the younger generations of Oiler fans, no other player has ever been able to wow me as much as Hemsky. He was truly a special player, and no matter how his last few seasons have gone here he will always be one of my favourite Oilers. I will always respect the skill, passion and dedication that he showed while in Edmonton all these years.

In his 11 seasons here he led the team in scoring for 4 straight seasons from 05-06 until 08-09, and then followed that up with leading in point per game in injury shortened seasons the next 2.

In the history of the Edmonton Oilers Ales Hemsky sits:
14th in games played 652
12th in goals 142
8th in points 477
7th in assists 335

You will be missed by many here in Edmonton Ales. I wish you all the success in the world in the next phase of your career. Good luck!

flames-front12.jpg

*Please note that this is an appreciation thread. I'm sure there are other threads where Hemsky's time as an Oiler can be debated. Lets please keep this thread on track in honouring one of the most talented Oilers of all time.

Reactions: paul jambon

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
If I have to pick out a singular moment for Ales Hemsky, it's the Detroit goal, and I think it might be the highlight of my journey as an Oilers fan.

Reactions: Navx94

The Joker*

Was always one of my favourite Oilers.

His goal that's in there somewhere is one my most vivid Oiler memories.

Reactions: McLarsonator

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
when im having a bad day i watch hemsky score on Dallas after stefan misses the open net.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
My favourite player. Going to miss him a lot. Was really hoping for him to go to a cup contender like the Pens, but damn, I guess I'm on the Sens bandwagon down the stretch. Steal of the day.

Thanks for everything Hemsky, if ANYONE deserves a cup, its you. Can't imagine be stuck in this **** show of an organization for your whole career. :handclap:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
My favourite player as well. I switched user names in order to hide my bias when discussing keeping or trading him.

Agree that it was time for him to move on, just wish it was to a better team so that I could cheer for them in the playoffs. Oh well, hopefully Ottawa can make it.

Favourite moment for me was that goal against San Jose, or during his rookie season when he made the most sublime passes and you could just see the potential. I remember a few moments of Smyth being in awe of the talent, shaking his head after an easy tap-in.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hopefully the boo birds can stay out of this thread. Lots of great memories of hemsky as an Oiler. Wish him lots of success as an individual, and if he plays for the right team (not the Sens), the team as well.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Never really was his biggest fan but thanks for being our best player for close to a decade.

Hope he re-ignites his career whether its in Ottawa or elsewhere

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll also add that last night was the first game I went to where the Oilers have won this season (been to about 6 I think).

I was really happy I was able to see Hemsky's last game. It was a great game from him and that first goal was vintage Hemsky. Nice to see him go out with a bit of a bang.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
knew it was coming eventually, still tough to hear about - he was the reason I became an Oiler fan. was hoping they'd throw him a bone and send him to Pittsburgh over Ottawa. :(

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Being born in 90, no one I relate more to being Oilers then Hemsky and Smyth.

Sad to see this day has finally come but hopefully he can regain his form and become an impact player again with another a team.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
One of my all time favs, and was close to the only reason to watch this team for many of his years here.

Even though it was clear he had to be moved (I didn't see him re-signing), and I know most wanted him gone, but I'm not the least bit happy to see him go.

Sad day for this fan, that's for sure.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Hemsky was the first Oiler whom I have followed since the day he was drafted and the first player Oilers jersey I've ever bought so he'll always have a place in my heart.

His playoff goal against Detroit was legendary.

First Oiler I'll really miss since Doug Weight.

Thanks for all the great and not so great years, Ales...you'll always be an Oiler to me. You're a true pro.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Hi made the Oilers worth watching for many years.
So smooth, I loved his playing style.
Certainly one of my favorite Oilers of all time.
Thanks Ales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad