Ales Hemsky Appreciation Thread

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Spezza and Hemsky put together a couple nice shifts already, showing some chemistry right off the bat. It would be great for Hemsky if that works out and he can play with Michalek and Spezza for the rest of the season.

HemksyCares

Sep 29, 2013
This goal was so huge. Without it, the run never even happens. I remember jumping up and down in the stands, high fiving the elderly 30 season ticket holders behind my seats. My face hurt because I was smiling so much.

I realized how much I love this player when I watched every minute of the sens/flames so I wouldn't miss one of his shifts. It was spooky to watch him in red and white.

Atleast I got a chance to say thanks on Sunday. He and the rest of the team are brunch regulars at a restaurant in my neighborhood. I never bother players, they get enough people interrupting their brunch, but knowing he was going to be dealt I had to go over and say thanks. I could see he genuinely appreciated it, and knew exactly why I had such a subdued tone.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Last April, the GM said PUBLICLY it would be best for Hemsky and the team if they went separate ways. I realize they talked privately first. If 83 had said that after the meeting, he would have gotten blasted.

MacT doesn't/can't follow through on one of his many promises.

Hemsky doesn't react negatively or whine or complain. He acts like a total pro and never bashes anyone. He was more professional and classy than management over the past year.

What does it say about the Oilers when you are happy that your favourite player gets to leave and gets a fresh start somewhere less toxic?

I wish him all the best. Very much under appreciated by much of the fanbase. He was loyal to the team. For a time, he was our best player. I hope that he is able to look back on his time here with few regrets.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
This goal was so huge. Without it, the run never even happens. I remember jumping up and down in the stands, high fiving the elderly 30 season ticket holders behind my seats. My face hurt because I was smiling so much.

I realized how much I love this player when I watched every minute of the sens/flames so I wouldn't miss one of his shifts. It was spooky to watch him in red and white.

Atleast I got a chance to say thanks on Sunday. He and the rest of the team are brunch regulars at a restaurant in my neighborhood. I never bother players, they get enough people interrupting their brunch, but knowing he was going to be dealt I had to go over and say thanks. I could see he genuinely appreciated it, and knew exactly why I had such a subdued tone.

Fixed.

That was a huge goal, we all knew how important it was at the time but we had no idea just how big it would be and just how far this team would go. He came up huge for us in '06... That year was one of the most fun times in my entire life and he played a big part in that.

That's awesome that you got to say thanks, I wish I would've had the opportunity. He deserves the props and I'm glad that someone got to tell him before he left.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

START VIDEO AT 7:23

Still the best Oiler sequence in recent history IMO. That deke, and pass from Samsonov, to Hemsky putting them away late in the game.

My favourite scene is right after the goal is scored, Legace with the most defeated slump I've ever seen, perfectly symbolizing the moment, and then the Oilers jumping up and down with their arms and sticks raised in the air like a bunch of kids down center ice.

I'm going to miss Hemsky. :(

Reactions: McHockeyfan91
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I'm cheering for Hemmer wherever he goes.

He may be a complimentary player, but after being on a garbage teams for the majority of his career I'm happy to see him move on.

Kids have the reins now for real, this is where it begins for all those who have been waiting for it.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Lots of love here to Hemmer as well. My favorite player, and happy he's somewhere that has a chance to contend for the next 5 years.
Dreger hinted that Mac T was looking to move Hemsky to a team in his best interest. I applaud him for that. If there's anything Mac T has done since he's been a GM, that is to help players along their career path after Edmonton.

Mac T is putting some goodwill into these moves and maybe bringing back some good Karma to a cursed team.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Gonna miss him for sure, one of my favorite Oilers, and some of those goals in the 06 playoff run I'll remember forever so thank you Ales!!

Best of luck in Ottawa, cheering for you guys!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

START VIDEO AT 7:23

Still the best Oiler sequence in recent history IMO. That deke, and pass from Samsonov, to Hemsky putting them away late in the game.

My favourite scene is right after the goal is scored, Legace with the most defeated slump I've ever seen, perfectly symbolizing the moment, and then the Oilers jumping up and down with their arms and sticks raised in the air like a bunch of kids down center ice.

I'm going to miss Hemsky. :(

Man look at how pumped he was to score, definitely didn't see that from Ales to much lately but can you blame the guy? I hope moving on fires him back up and he can really show what he's capable even if it is for another team, one of my favorite Oilers growing up, great player and was thankful to see him score two in his last game.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Last April, the GM said PUBLICLY it would be best for Hemsky and the team if they went separate ways. I realize they talked privately first. If 83 had said that after the meeting, he would have gotten blasted.

MacT doesn't/can't follow through on one of his many promises.

Hemsky doesn't react negatively or whine or complain. He acts like a total pro and never bashes anyone. He was more professional and classy than management over the past year.

What does it say about the Oilers when you are happy that your favourite player gets to leave and gets a fresh start somewhere less toxic?

I wish him all the best. Very much under appreciated by much of the fanbase. He was loyal to the team. For a time, he was our best player. I hope that he is able to look back on his time here with few regrets.

Well said.

To the point in bold, its a sign of the times for the Oilers, that you like a player so much that you don't want them to play for us. I've been waiting for Hemsky to get paroled out of this mess for a long time. I've never really cheered for another team, but now I have no problem cheering for the Sens as my second team.

The Oilers are not a better team today than they were yesterday. Those draft picks have a slim chance of returning anything good, and not for a about 5 years even if they do.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Best part about watching Ales was how he played like he thought he was 6'5 240, just would get rocked and still try a dangle the next play. He played like an idiot, but that's what made him so fun to watch. All-time favorite Oiler.

Guys between 25-35 who watched his whole career I know definitely will miss him the most.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Love stories like this. I miss Hemmer. One of the good ones.

Also, that Twitter handle is full of obnoxious takes. Yuck.

If only Yak or JP had Hemsky’s attitude. He wasn’t perfect but he was a genuinely nice guy.

Reactions: belair

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If only Yak or JP had Hemsky’s attitude. He wasn’t perfect but he was a genuinely nice guy.
Honestly both of those players seem like genuinely nice guys too.

Difference between them and Hemsky is that Hemsky was a good player.

Those other two aren’t.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Love stories like this. I miss Hemmer. One of the good ones.

Also, that Twitter handle is full of obnoxious takes. Yuck.

Hemsky was a gem.

Oh, and Matt Henderson is a living obnoxious take.

Reactions: TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly both of those players seem like genuinely nice guys too.

Difference between them and Hemsky is that Hemsky was a good player.

Those other two aren’t.

Nah, JP seems like a stubborn, somewhat arrogant guy who thinks he’s better than he is.

Yak was nice off the ice but he too was a stubborn dude on the ice.

Hemsky had his issues with stubbornness too (passing instead of shooting), but at least you could tell he was genuine and he didn’t complain when MacT gave him fourth line minutes to start his career or when he was demoted to lower lines with the emergence of Eberle.

Oct 15, 2008
Nah, JP seems like a stubborn, somewhat arrogant guy who thinks he’s better than he is.

Yak was nice off the ice but he too was a stubborn dude on the ice.

Hemsky had his issues with stubbornness too (passing instead of shooting), but at least you could tell he was genuine and he didn’t complain when MacT gave him fourth line minutes to start his career or when he was demoted to lower lines with the emergence of Eberle.
They are trying to make me into a checker.....

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad