Aleksander 'Sasha' Barkov - Part II

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Centers

Barkov #13 on top 20 centers.

I think it's a fair ranking until Barkov breaks into the top scoring list. Austin Matthews is way too high though.

Yeah you'd thought that was a joke but I suppose it isn't, which makes it even more hilarious. Matthews is noway near top 4 or even better than Barkov today (unless his had some kind of d*ped development @ summer). He shouldn't be cracking top 10, otherwise he would have made at least something happen in the last season's playoffs instead of disappearing for the third time in a roll. I'd rank Barkov ahead of Seguin, Kuznetsov, Scheifele (watched all the Jets games last season) and perhaps even Stamkos too. Most of them are pure offensive centers and average to good at best in their own end. On the edge with Mackinnon. The last season obviously boosted his stocks but then again, if he didn't have Rantanen I wonder if he'd even got as close to PPG as Barkov did and Barkov's defence is waaaaaay better. At the end of the day and when all things are said and done (in the near future) he'll be a top 5 center in the league if not top 3. You don't even need fingers to count the number of PPG centers who are either Selke level or close to it.

I've started to think these so called "expert rankings" are just lists that are there to please the audience, are targeted for large markets, get readers/clicks and what not.

Wonder if Barkov can get even better and if yes, the ceiling would be tremendous. Considering how strong he is at all facets of the game it's almost strange how little recognition he gets. Suppose if the man played in NY for instance, that'd be a whole another ball game. The area boost after all is +10 as we can see by looking at the current "top 4" center, ha.

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
Barkov got the C. Well deserved! He will lead by example on the ice, I guess other guys take care of the locker room speeches.

Reactions: LAINEC

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Nice to see him get some recognition especially with some of the ridiculous posts here disparaging his play.
He hasnt been good 5 on 5. Hence he’s a minus. The minus is a direct reflection of his 5 on 5 production. Pretty basic. They need him to produce just like every team
Needs their 1c to produce

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He hasnt been good 5 on 5. Hence he’s a minus. The minus is a direct reflection of his 5 on 5 production. Pretty basic. They need him to produce just like every team
I’m confused. You’ve been preaching to stupid fans everywhere that Reimer’s been the only reason for the bad record. Now it’s Barkov too. Who would’ve guessed.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I’m confused. You’ve been preaching to stupid fans everywhere that Reimer’s been the only reason for the bad record. Now it’s Barkov too. Who would’ve guessed.
The team as a whole is playing good enough to win most games if our goalies were average. I’m talking one player 5 on 5. This isn’t a tough concept.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The team as a whole is playing good enough to win most games if our goalies were average. I’m talking one player 5 on 5. This isn’t a tough concept.

The first line is definitely struggling right now but it's not all on Barkov. I think Hoffman might just be a bad fit for Dadonov / Barkov. I think I agree that Barkov is struggling a bit individually, but he might be a bit dinged up + too much ice time.

I think another line shakeup could help.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Plus minus is terrible.

There have been plenty of goals which counts as a minus against him because he stepped on the ice as the other team was already breaking in 2 v 1.

The only goal that is definitively on him was the shorty.

Was it his fault that Ekblad cant skate and was burned?

That Matheson gets burned?

That Petrovic isnt viable anyhere?

+- sucks. Period.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Plus minus is terrible.

There have been plenty of goals which counts as a minus against him because he stepped on the ice as the other team was already breaking in 2 v 1.

The only goal that is definitively on him was the shorty.

Was it his fault that Ekblad cant skate and was burned?

That Matheson gets burned?

That Petrovic isnt viable anyhere?

+- sucks. Period.
Look I’m not saying he’s been aweful. He’s still been doing the little
Things and has been pretty good defensively. But he has to start producing offense 5 on 5. He just does and that’s all there is to it. Also adding Hoffman to that line makes it difficult for them to escape their zone. But Barkov isn’t making great decisions offensively and is fighting the puck a bit and the play is dying with him in the offensive zone way more than normal. He straight up has to start producing offensively at even strength or we can take him out of the elite Center convo.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The first line is definitely struggling right now but it's not all on Barkov. I think Hoffman might just be a bad fit for Dadonov / Barkov. I think I agree that Barkov is struggling a bit individually, but he might be a bit dinged up + too much ice time.

I think another line shakeup could help.
I think dadanov and Hoffman need to be split. None are great along the wall defensively in our zone under pressure. That’s not a good mix. Bjugstad and huberdeau are usually pretty good in that scenario. Dadanov
Flies zone when the puck gets there but Hoffman is unable to get it to the correct spot. I knew it would be a weakness far before boogy out that line together. But in reality until Barkov picks it up offensively it won’t really matter

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
When there are almost all of our D-men on ice, except Kiselevich & Weegar, we allow a lot of dangerous shots from the slot. So maybe it's our defensive system or just bad play of our D-men. To prevent dangerous shots from the slot is firstly D-men duty. Then Barkov's. Then Dadonov's and Hoffman's.

And also + - of Barkov is not good because of some goals in our EN and some goals allowed in PP, which is not his fault except the last one. It can also be a result of risky PP system, which brings higher chance of crucial giveaways and then breakaways to the opponent. Despite this, PP system now works very effective, but it's not making + - rating any better.

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Look I’m not saying he’s been aweful. He’s still been doing the little
Things and has been pretty good defensively. But he has to start producing offense 5 on 5. He just does and that’s all there is to it. Also adding Hoffman to that line makes it difficult for them to escape their zone. But Barkov isn’t making great decisions offensively and is fighting the puck a bit and the play is dying with him in the offensive zone way more than normal. He straight up has to start producing offensively at even strength or we can take him out of the elite Center convo.

I think you're massively understating Barkov's effectiveness on the defensive side by saying he's 'pretty good'. He is unquestionably top 3 if not the best defensive forward in the game. That's like saying McDavid is pretty good on offense, but maybe he should do more on defense.

He plays in pretty much all situations, is a beast defensively while playing against top lines, wins faceoffs, draws but doesn't take penalties, contributes on the power play while being poorly used to stand in front of the goalie, produces like a 2nd line player at 5v5.

I'm not sure he can do much more. Maybe you can say you want him to contribute more offense while 5v5, but then he won't be as focused on the defensive side. There has to be trade offs, he can't just do everything.

Maybe he isn't the fiery intense captain that a lot of people are used to, but you can tell he is extremely driven. The guy has improved all aspects of his game every season and carries this team even if the stats don't say so.

Looking at this team, Barkov, Hoff and Dads are the last I would criticize.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I don't like having shootout goals in the top 10, even if he's really good at them. It's a bit lazy. Also that Toronto game was awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad