Aleksander 'Sasha' Barkov - Part II

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Actually fining by the income is equal. Everyone has more or less the same life expenancy, to 1 or 5 or 10 year at prison has the same effect. Giving $10.000 speeding tickets for minor speeding has a really different for a guy making minimun wage compared to Barkov. I'd even argue that the more you make, the less the % of the fine based on your income hurts you.

I make around 2800€ after taxes per month, if I was fined 50% that'd really hurt my budget. If Barkov was fined 50% of his montly income, he'd still be just fine financially
exactly. that's why if they're going to do it this way, it should be at a graduated rate just like taxes. rich people pay tax at a higher % of their salary than poor, not just a higher amount. and so it should be with tickets so that it actually stings them. as long as you're going to do this system, make it a graduated rate where the rich pay at a higher % of their salary than do poor. the way they have it set up is like if america had a flat 17% tax rate for all. theres a critical mass of money at which point more means less. going from 60 million to 61 means less than someone who has 60,000 in the bank and is gifted a thousand. graduated % rate for tickets should be th route they take. go all in, or don't go at all.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
You’re correct, I do not agree with the money aspect. Finnish speeding fines are way too high and grossly disproportionate to what should not be a crime but a civil infraction of speeding.

This doesn't make much sense to me. You're just talking semantics here what it should be called or what not.

The role of the government is to protect its people and fining people for speeding does that. If you don't fine them based on income (or a better system would be based on wealth) it's meaningless. Giving Barky a $1000 ticket for speeding would be a joke to him and not change a thing.

Reactions: sashalaine

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
This doesn't make much sense to me. You're just talking semantics here what it should be called or what not.

The role of the government is to protect its people and fining people for speeding does that. If you don't fine them based on income (or a better system would be based on wealth) it's meaningless. Giving Barky a $1000 ticket for speeding would be a joke to him and not change a thing.
That’s fine. I disagree, but I’m going to refrain from further discussion on this because it would almost necessarily turn political, which I wouldn’t mind, but isn’t the purpose of these boards. And the posts would probably end up being deleted.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
That’s fine. I disagree, but I’m going to refrain from further discussion on this because it would almost necessarily turn political, which I wouldn’t mind, but isn’t the purpose of these boards. And the posts would probably end up being deleted.

I don't think you should be disagreeing! :D Crimes should be the easy part to lay the hammer down on both the rich and poor.

I don't agree on equal wealth distribution in any other case.

edit: this is going to be interpreted wrong but I'm drunk so can't make much more sense atm

Reactions: KW

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You're all arguing semantics here.

The real concern is this kid has an unhealthy luv of speed and fast cars. Granted you don't have the autobahns in Finland to get the car up past 180 kmh, but even at 105 on roads where the posted is 60 brings the room for error quotient into a narrow band. He needs to show more respect for the speed limit or the fastest he may end up going is someone pushing him down the hall in a wheelchair or pine box. :(

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018

The real concern is this kid has an unhealthy luv of speed and fast cars. Granted you don't have the autobahns in Finland to get the car up past 180 kmh, but even at 105 on roads where the posted is 60 brings the room for error quotient into a narrow band. He needs to show more respect for the speed limit or the fastest he may end up going is someone pushing him down the hall in a wheelchair or pine box. :(
am I a bad person for thinking how bad the panthers would suck if barky was in that wheelchair instead of the first thought coming to my mind being sadness for him as a person?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

You'd understand how this happens if you visited finland. We have these "traps" all over the place. 100km speed limit changes to 80 and then to 60 within 50 meters because intersection etc for like 200-300meters then goes back up to 100km. Most people don't even slow down at all for those parts unless there clearly is traffic. There literally is almost none traffic jams in Finland either other than couple rounds in the whole country so there's plenty of space on the roads too

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You'd understand how this happens if you visited finland. We have these "traps" all over the place. 100km speed limit changes to 80 and then to 60 within 50 meters because intersection etc for like 200-300meters then goes back up to 100km. Most people don't even slow down at all for those parts unless there clearly is traffic. There literally is almost none traffic jams in Finland either other than couple rounds in the whole country so there's plenty of space on the roads too
I can understand the sudden change in speed limits as it's quite typical in rural parts of the USA. Many of the State or County Roads in Montana or Wyoming (where I spend my summers) are 70 mph once you leave the towns or hamlets. Eventually in 20 or 30 miles you run into another town where just outside the speed is reduced incrementally down to 25 mph as you go thru a tiny town that is not more than 200 to 300 yds long. I do quite a few road trips where I'm not familiar with what to expect just over the next hill or around the next curve. The point is you get to know what the routine is and adjust accordingly or the State Police or County Sheriff will nab you.

I've seen the pictures of the cars Barkov has owned and I know he likes powerful fast cars. He may not have been paying attention and that's the point. When the speed limit adjusts from 120 km/h to 100, then to 80, then to 60........you are given plenty of time to adjust once the 60 sign appears............he didn't. He got one last off season also.

I certainly don't classify him as being reckless driver but obviously ticket camera's are taking the place of many officer type speed traps and he should know the routine by now. Was he tricked? I doubt it. He was nailed because he wasn't going 15 to 25 km/h over the limit, he was going 45 km/h over. Not much traffic in the rural area towns and he saw no point in adjusting his speed downward and back up again all within a short distance. All it takes is one old timer or teen pulling out in front of you and you could swerve into on coming traffic or a tree. He needs to adhere or eventually his license will be suspended or fate will bite him in the arz and someone will pull out in front of him. ;)

ps: I see this site is breaking down again like around the draft. Obviously they haven't fixed the ability to handle the traffic.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Finnish highways don't have 120 km/h limits, the max is 100. Motorways (where you can drive 120) are also mostly located in the southern part of the country.

Barkov's speed was on par with the upper speed limit of a 100 km/h zone (7 km/h is the technical limit that you can exceed, going above that in any zone gets you a ticket), there's a 3 km/h "margin of error" that gets taken out, so he was actually doing 108 which would've netted him a warning with 105 in a 100 zone. TL;DR, he more than likely just missed the zone changing.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So many posters want to rationalize what is the equivalent of going close to 30 mph over the limit in the US. It's all the fault of the government who posts these stoopid signs from 100 to 80 to 60 in towns where there is no traffic. The pope can do no wrong.

Go back to discussing the more important matter of whether basing the amount of the fine on your income is fair. Carry on. ;)

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It's not based on taxable income in Finland. It's actual income. If you work abroad, they just ask you how much you make. Then investigate, if they don't believe you (and possibly hit you with an obstruction of justice on top). Speeding by more than 20kph is a criminal matter, so the police will request tax reports from abroad as well, and most countries give them easily. NHL salaries are public anyway, so it's an easy job.

Pro tip: if you're making millions, hire a chauffeur while in Finland

Im curious, does he pay taxes in Finland for the income that he makes in the US?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So many posters want to rationalize what is the equivalent of going close to 30 mph over the limit in the US. It's all the fault of the government who posts these stoopid signs from 100 to 80 to 60 in towns where there is no traffic. The pope can do no wrong.

Go back to discussing the more important matter of whether basing the amount of the fine on your income is fair. Carry on. ;)
Oh so YOU are one of the people who does 69 in the left lane on the turnpike and blocks all the traffic ....

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Then why should he be fined for the money that he makes in the States? That is why I was asking.
It's still his income (which is publicly available info for NHL players), whether he pays taxes to a different country doesn't matter.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
For what it's worth, I bet Barkov drives better at 100mph than your avg person does at 35mph. That being said I understand the concern. Don't get hurt Barky. Popping a tire at that speed can be deadly.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
For what it's worth, I bet Barkov drives better at 100mph than your avg person does at 35mph. That being said I understand the concern. Don't get hurt Barky. Popping a tire at that speed can be deadly.
KPH, not MPH

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Huh? He got his license like a year ago. Some of us have been driving for decades, and different types of vehicles.

Plus, being a professional hockey player, he probably has less time to play with his car than the average teenager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad