Red Sox/MLB ALDS - Red Sox Lead 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You’re having a hard time comprehending the Divisional part of the first series, eh?

Wait, what? Are you implying that the "Divisional Round" means teams only play other teams from the same division? You're going to have to explain this one.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Wait, what? Are you implying that the "Divisional Round" means teams only play other teams from the same division? You're going to have to explain this one.
Same thing in hockey, have to get out of your division before moving on. Every year someone is complaining about playoff formats. Then they’ll change them. Then the only thing that changes is the people who are complaining about it. Y’all are gonna kick the Yankees butts all over the field anyways, don’t know what you’re so worried about.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Same thing in hockey, have to get out of your division before moving on. Every year someone is complaining about playoff formats. Then they’ll change them. Then the only thing that changes is the people who are complaining about it. Y’all are gonna kick the Yankees butts all over the field anyways, don’t know what you’re so worried about.

This is....incorrect.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Indians won their division. It's the same thing in all four major leagues. Hell, the Bruins played the Lightning despite having better records than the entire Metro division.

I know. I was just explaining what I assumed to be someone else's opinion.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I've always been a fan of re-seeding by record in the postseason, for all sports.

I understand it makes winning the division somewhat pointless, but the year the Seahawks at 7-9 hosted a playoff game against a 10 win team was absolutely absurd.

You’re having a hard time comprehending the Divisional part of the first series, eh?

WC team couldn't play their division winner in the ALDS/NLDS prior to the play-in game. Personally I think it still should be that way.

This year is a bit of an anomaly since the AL had 3 teams win 100+ games, but in a normal year, having two 100+ win teams face off in the first round rather than the LCS, while a lesser team gets an easier path isn't good for the game IMO.

It's stupid that the Wild card winners don't have to play game 1 of the LDS the next game.

That's the advantage of being the 1 seed.
Totally agree with this.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's stupid that the Wild card winners don't have to play game 1 of the LDS the next game.

That's the advantage of being the 1 seed.

Yep. So instead of getting a 90 win team with 4 days of rest, Boston is getting a 100 win team who has played 1 game in those 4 days. I doubt that extra game NY played offsets how much better they are than Cleveland. The current setup doesn’t punish the WC team enough IMO.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It's not the same at all this has nothing to do with getting out of your division first, do the Indians and Astros play in the same division? Do the Braves and Dodgers play in the same division? The answer is no they don't, but for some reason MLB decided to give all division winners higher seeds than the wildcard winner without considering their records at all. I agree NHL is a stupid playoff format as well. To me the top teams should always play the playoff team with the worst record and so forth and so on, why reward lower teams.?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Yep. So instead of getting a 90 win team with 4 days of rest, Boston is getting a 100 win team who has played 1 game in those 4 days. I doubt that extra game NY played offsets how much better they are than Cleveland. The current setup doesn’t punish the WC team enough IMO.
Nope.

WC winner should have to play, then fly to the next city that night, and play the following day.

MLB had to know something like this would happen eventually. It's crazy to me that HOU gets the easy path over a team that won more games than they did.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
It's not the same at all this has nothing to do with getting out of your division first, do the Indians and Astros play in the same division? Do the Braves and Dodgers play in the same division? The answer is no they don't, but for some reason MLB decided to give all division winners higher seeds than the wildcard winner without considering their records at all. I agree NHL is a stupid playoff format as well. To me the top teams should always play the playoff team with the worst record and so forth and so on, why reward lower teams.?

The answer is, to attempt to make the regular season mean something, especially in a season with as many games, and as long as the MLB.

I don't have a problem with a team that won 90 games getting in because they won their division over a team that won 92. But I'm on your side though, the should re-seed, regardless of WC/Division winner classification.

Reactions: bbfan419

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Nope.

WC winner should have to play, then fly to the next city that night, and play the following day.

MLB had to know something like this would happen eventually. It's crazy to me that HOU gets the easy path over a team that won more games than they did.

Or give the #1 seed 4 home games against the WC team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

This isn't going to end well.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The answer is, to attempt to make the regular season mean something, especially in a season with as many games, and as long as the MLB.

I don't have a problem with a team that won 90 games getting in because they won their division over a team that won 92. But I'm on your side though, the should re-seed, regardless of WC/Division winner classification.
That was my point yes, I am ok with a division winner getting in with fewer wins than another team, but the seeding should go by total wins once the playoffs start.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
In the old format the sox would play the Indians. They got rid of the rule about the WC winner not playing their division winner with the advent of the second WC.

Having to play a do or die game is a pretty harsh punishment. Plus not getting the ideal rotation for the LDS if they advance

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
In the old format the sox would play the Indians. They got rid of the rule about the WC winner not playing their division winner with the advent of the second WC.

Having to play a do or die game is a pretty harsh punishment. Plus not getting the ideal rotation for the LDS if they advance

Harsher than not making the playoffs at all, which used to be the case?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Just get rid of the wild card and do a 3 team round robin.

I think Yankees vs Redsox is great for the game.Just my gut but if Oakland was the team I do not think people would be so bothered by this set up..Yankees scare New England faithful I get it.Well New York area is nervous to I imagine.Losing is one thing but to your arch enemy is worse.This series should be a barn burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad