Red Sox/MLB ALDS - Red Sox Lead 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Of course, we will play NYY 40 years after 1978.

For those of us who lived through the 1978 season, there has been nothing like it before or since. Cable TV was just starting up then and it was available in Somerville, Medford, Everett, Malden and Revere and they offered the Yankees games on WPIX. Manhattan cable offered TV38. The AM station the Red Sox were on had a weak signal at night so the games we also on FM on 107.9 when the station was called WWEL - a few months later they bacame KISS 108.

I just watch a new film by Sports Illustrated called 14 Back and they found footage and radio calls I did not think existed. Ken Harrelson calling the Bucky Dent homer, Ned Martin calling Yaz's final at bat in the playoff game.

How big was that 1978 season???? The network's national news gave updates - ESPN didn't exist yet.

42823460_10216124362194516_3160589883924283392_o.jpg

The 1978 Red Sox team did and did not choke. Certainly, during the Boston Massacre, the pressure got to them - SEVEN ERRORS in one game???

42702429_10216124489877708_4056088602340229120_o.jpg

However, they won their final 8 games to force a playoff.

The film has interviews with many of the players and the anger many of the Red Sox players still feel about Zimmer starting Bobby Sprowl instead of Bill Lee against the Yankees. Zimmer went to his grave saying there are only 2 people I would never invite to my house, Bill Lee and Glenn Ordway.

My most vivid memory of 1978 happened in early September at the Plough & Stars in Cambridge. Not every game was televised then and a bunch of us were listening on the radio when Bill Lee walked in wearing his uniform and ordered a beer. Somebody finally asked the question we all had - 'Ummm shouldn't you be at Fenway?'

Lee replied 'Zim won't miss me'. :laugh:

I was at the playoff game and afterward, I got very drunk at the long-gone Newbury Steak House and then as I walked over the bridge I threw my hat in the river and said 'I am done with them'.

That is me in wearing that hat

upload_2018-9-28_13-0-51.png

All that winter my GF Anne who is on my right listened to me rant and rave that I would never go to a baseball game again and I was totally focused on the Bruins. In March we were invited to visit her aunt and uncle in Tampa and one morning we set out for Disney World on I-4. In about an hour I saw this sign.

i-004-w-exit-048-04.jpg

My hands started to shake on the steering wheel and I was sweating. Anne looks at me and doesn't say a word. As we approach the exit she finally says 'They are playing the White Sox at 1, I already bought the tickets" :biglaugh:

2 months later poor Anne had to deal with my reaction to another sports disaster that I also saw in person.

upload_2018-9-28_13-14-58.png
:cry:

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

For those of us who lived through the 1978 season, there has been nothing like it before or since. Cable TV was just starting up then and it was available in Somerville, Medford, Everett, Malden and Revere and they offered the Yankees games on WPIX. Manhattan cable offered TV38. The AM station the Red Sox were on had a weak signal at night so the games we also on FM on 107.9 when the station was called WWEL - a few months later they bacame KISS 108.

I just watch a new film by Sports Illustrated called 14 Back and they found footage and radio calls I did not think existed. Ken Harrelson calling the Bucky Dent homer, Ned Martin calling Yaz's final at bat in the playoff game.

How big was that 1978 season???? The network's national news gave updates - ESPN didn't exist yet.

The 1978 Red Sox team did and did not choke. Certainly, during the Boston Massacre, the pressure got to them - SEVEN ERRORS in one game???

The film has interviews with many of the players and the anger many of the Red Sox players still feel about Zimmer starting Bobby Sprowl instead of Bill Lee against the Yankees. Zimmer went to his grave saying there are only 2 people I would never invite to my house, Bill Lee and Glenn Ordway.

My most vivid memory of 1978 happened in early September at the Plough & Stars in Cambridge. Not every game was televised then and a bunch of us were listening on the radio when Bill Lee walked in wearing his uniform and ordered a beer. Somebody finally asked the question we all had - 'Ummm shouldn't you be at Fenway?'

I was at the playoff game and afterward, I got very drunk at the long-gone Newbury Steak House and then as I walked over the bridge I threw my hat in the river and said 'I am done with them'.

View attachment 142771

All that winter my GF Anne who is on my right listened to me rant and rave that I would never go to a baseball game again and I was totally focused on the Bruins. In March we were invited to visit her aunt and uncle in Tampa and one morning we set out for Disney World on I-4. In about an hour I saw this sign.

i-004-w-exit-048-04.jpg

My hands started to shake on the steering wheel and I was sweating. Anne looks at me and doesn't say a word. As we approach the exit she finally says 'They are playing the White Sox at 1, I already bought the tickets" :biglaugh:

2 months later poor Anne had to deal with my reaction to another sports disaster that I also saw in person.

View attachment 142773 :cry:

Man, I feel bad after wallowing in my Vikings ineptness today...Thank you for cheering me up

Reactions: Fenway

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Yankees win this series, there’ll be three 100 win teams in the same league for the first time ever. Let’s not let them, though. :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The rich get richer

The Red Sox want to build a theater behind Fenway Park | Boston.com

upload_2018-9-28_20-32-30.png

According to the plans, the theater will be owned by FSG and run by Fenway Music Company, a new joint venture formed between two affiliates of FSG and Live Nation. According to the press release, Fenway Music Company will book, manage, and operate the Fenway Theater, as well as the nearby House of Blues Boston on Lansdowne Street.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Always liked JA Happ hated he went to Yankees

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

View attachment 142771

i-004-w-exit-048-04.jpg

View attachment 142773 :cry:

That 1978 season is what began my Yankee fandom. I was an 8 year old little kid sitting in my living room in Hamden, CT and my entire family suddenly started calling this poor guy who had just hit a ball all kinds of names. I felt he needed a defender. I became an instant Bucky Dent and Yankee fan just because the entire family hated him.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Would have been funny for NYY to have to travel to Oakland but home field means nothing in the WCG so it’s whatever.
With the travel and time change, yah, actually it does make a difference for NYY. Play in your own barn, sleep in own bed and then 3 hours up 95 or flying, sleeping in hotel, playing, then flying back to another hotel. I’ll take Door 1 please. Looking like they’re going to lock it up tonight anyways. And I probably just jinxed it lol

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was hoping we'd get to 110 wins. Oh well.

Imagine if our bullpen was just slightly less awful, we could've passed the Mariners/

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
That 1978 season is what began my Yankee fandom. I was an 8 year old little kid sitting in my living room in Hamden, CT and my entire family suddenly started calling this poor guy who had just hit a ball all kinds of names. I felt he needed a defender. I became an instant Bucky Dent and Yankee fan just because the entire family hated him.

I became a Vikings fan after I saw some of them crying in the locker room after their SB loss to Oakland. I’m glad your team worked out for you lol.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

BOSTON (AP) — Giancarlo Stanton has been plunked plenty of times. But by his own home run ball?

The New York Yankees star homered over the Green Monster on Saturday, connecting in the seventh inning against the Boston Red Sox. Stanton then got quite a surprise from a strong-armed fan while rounding second base at Fenway Park.

A man wearing a black T-shirt heaved the souvenir from his first-row seat on top of the left-field wall, and the ball took a hop and bounced off Stanton. The slugger continued his home run trot, but turned his head, smiled and appeared to tip his cap to the fan.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
BOSTON (AP) — Giancarlo Stanton has been plunked plenty of times. But by his own home run ball?

The New York Yankees star homered over the Green Monster on Saturday, connecting in the seventh inning against the Boston Red Sox. Stanton then got quite a surprise from a strong-armed fan while rounding second base at Fenway Park.

A man wearing a black T-shirt heaved the souvenir from his first-row seat on top of the left-field wall, and the ball took a hop and bounced off Stanton. The slugger continued his home run trot, but turned his head, smiled and appeared to tip his cap to the fan.

Fan threw a lot of money away there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad