Confirmed with Link: Albany Devils moving to Binghamton, NY

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They get good coverage here. It used to be better when we had a very dedicated beat writer but it's decent. Local news always has stories and the paper usually has a write up of every game.

Binghamton really is a great hockey city. Lots of kids leagues, adult leagues, Labatt Blue outdoor pond hockey tournament is in 3 weeks. People support hockey here, an AHL team will not get lost in the shuffle. The area around. the Arena has really bounced back in recent years with the addition of a Binghamton University Academi. ,c Building, two large student housing buildings within 50 yards of the Arena. A couple breweries, new restaurants, etc. There is also a ho,,,tel right next to the rink as well.

Thanks for the feedback and info.

I look forward to going to games there.
Hopefully the locals will appreciate NJD fans who will make the weekend trips up there.

Fyi Albany @ Bingo Feb 4.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Sources-Albany-Devils-leaving-for-Binghamton-10884403.php

This is the part of the article that bothers me...

When former president/general manager Lou Lamoriello ran the New Jersey hockey operation, financial success did not appear to be a priority at the minor-league level. Lamoriello was enamored with the first-class facilities that the Albany arena offered his prospects, including an NHL-caliber locker room and training area, as well as the close proximity to the Devils' home base in Newark, N.J.
The bottom line became more of a focus when Joshua Harris and David Blitzer bought the NHL team — and with it the Albany franchise — in 2013.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lou didn't care about icing a good AHL team for the better part of a dozen years.

Shero is signing good ahl vets that are producing and helping out our draft picks.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What I saw was that Harris and Blitzer are more bottom line focused. Bingo is further from NJ, so will be harder to get players at the last minute.

Geography fail. It's almost the same.

At least the Lehigh Valley is a lot closer to Binghamton than Albany is - a bit more than 2 hours I believe.
One has to guess the Devils' AHL team will play more games against the LV Phantoms in Allentown,

I doubt it. It's not like Albany and Allentown are that far apart, and the Devils only played in Allentown once this season. Conversely, there are already teams distances much farther apart that they play more so I dont think this plays too much a factor in AHL scheduling.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Geography fail. It's almost the same.

I doubt it. It's not like Albany and Allentown are that far apart, and the Devils only played in Allentown once this season. Conversely, there are already teams distances much farther apart that they play more so I dont think this plays too much a factor in AHL scheduling.

Binghamton and Scranton are separated by an hour on the same highway. They cities are for all intents and purposes minor league city rivals.

Also, when you factor in <2 hour bus rides it's possible for the team to drive down the morning of the game and not need a hotel which is incredibly appealing

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
The difference in travel time from rinks according to Google is 13 minutes. We may have an old building, but the Sens renovated the locker rooms and built a training room addition in recent years. The home facilities are quite nice. The visiting facilities on the other hand are laughable (we change in the visiting area for mens league hockey), but who really cares about the visitors!

If you've never seen a game in our arena you'll love it. The stands are not a bowl per se', they are 4 independent sides around the ice, they are much steeper than a traditional bowl which makes you feel like you are right on top of the ice, it's awesome. The viewing angles from that perspective are the best I've ever seen for watching hockey.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
We're an hour from Syracuse, an hour from WB/S, 2.5 hours from Rochester, 2 hours to Utica, under 3 hours to Hershey, 2 hours to Allentown... A good central location for AHL travel.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I unfortunately went to college in Cortland so I'm familiar with it. It's definitely adequate for AHL hockey

When is the last time you were there? They've done some nice upgrades in the last few years. New Seats, lighting, new scoreboard, new boards and glass, etc... The beer is reasonably priced as well for a sporting event ($8 for a 24oz can), I can't complain.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When is the last time you were there? They've done some nice upgrades in the last few years. New Seats, lighting, new scoreboard, new boards and glass, etc... The beer is reasonably priced as well for a sporting event ($8 for a 24oz can), I can't complain.

The Devils will hike that up to $11 or $12 and make a bad first impression. Just kidding, I hope.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown

I never actually went to a game but took a tour with a class in 2011

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
The Devils will hike that up to $11 or $12 and make a bad first impression. Just kidding, I hope.

I hope not too!! I don't need another reason to hate the Devils :m-wink: Since the day to day is going to be run by basically the same people that are in place now, I assume those types of deals won't change much. Currently the team does not operate the concessions, this is run through the County which contracts with American Food and Vending. The team does get a cut, but they don't have a say in prices, etc. I guess if they up their required cut it would force a price increase, so they wouldn't be setting prices but would impact them.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
At least the Lehigh Valley is a lot closer to Binghamton than Albany is - a bit more than 2 hours I believe.

One has to guess the Devils' AHL team will play more games against the LV Phantoms in Allentown, and for that matter more road games against the WBS Penguins and the Hershey Bears. All of this is good news for my Lehigh Valley family visits; it will now become more likely I'll be able see the AHL Devils during my trips.

The AHL Devils will play more road games that are more easily accessible from north Jersey, especially in Allentown and to a lesser degree Wilkes-Barre and Hershey (the latter of which probably seems far but is probably about 3 hours from Newark - EDIT: Hershey is about 2 1/2 hours from Newark). I just checked and Lehigh Valley plays 6 games (3 home, 3 road) against Binghamton this season compared to just 2 games against Albany. That's the highest number of games Lehigh Valley plays against any non-division foe. Binghamton and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton also will play each other 6 times this year. It's not likely the AHL will realign such that Binghamton is in the same division as Wilkes-Barre, Lehigh Valley, and Hershey (the Binghamton Senators WERE in the same division for a few years though), but if they do that probably means even more AHL Devils games in Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, and Hershey.

BenedictGomez - see the bolded part in the last message.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Unfortunately all of upstate other than Sabres territory is Rangers territory. The Devils don't have much of a hinterland beyond north and central NJ. I doubt I'd root for the Ranger's farm team if I lived in Hartford, but I hope some Binghamton fans will embrace the big Devils.

I unfortunately went to college in Cortland...

But you got to live in a city with a street named after Ronnie James Dio

MI0001466381.jpg

thecoffeecake

Mar 19, 2012
Toms River, NJ
Knowing this was coming, I'm really disappointed they didn't end up somewhere in New Jersey like Trenton or Atlantic City. As the only major professional team left, I think the fans, as the consumers, should expect the Devils to make the investments, both financially and less tangibly, in the development of hockey in the state. It's good for the Devils brand in the long term. A big miss for the state and the Devils as I see it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maine to Utica to Albany to Lowell back to Albany now Binghamton.

Hmmm. Wish they were they were coming closer...But I'll make a trip to Binghamton next season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Knowing this was coming, I'm really disappointed they didn't end up somewhere in New Jersey like Trenton or Atlantic City. As the only major professional team left, I think the fans, as the consumers, should expect the Devils to make the investments, both financially and less tangibly, in the development of hockey in the state. It's good for the Devils brand in the long term. A big miss for the state and the Devils as I see it.

holy cow, talk about WAY overreacting/looking too much into things :laugh:

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I think Upstate is as close as our farm team is going to get. Smaller cities inside the I-95 corridor like Trenton are rough for minor league sports. Too close to the big league teams.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Upstate is as close as our farm team is going to get. Smaller cities inside the I-95 corridor like Trenton are rough for minor league sports. Too close to the big league teams.

Trenton, and AC as well, are too much in Philly country.

I don't have a great clear cut desitination in NJ. But I am in favor of the idea in general.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
based on what?

what evidence is there that Atlantic City or Trenton could support a team? both of those areas, for the most part, suck.

Based on the idea that putting a Devils minor league team in the middle of Ranger country is not a promising proposition.

I also think it would help build the fanbase for the big club if it was placed within a traditional battleground area, where both Devil fans and Rag fans live, within the state.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00