Confirmed with Link: Albany Devils moving to Binghamton, NY

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Seems a Lamoriello left another franchise in tatters.

With how many franchises have moved out of NY, how does a franchise not capitalize on less competition

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
posted that about a month ago and was laughed at since it wasn't "reputable"

oh well.

I mean they signed a 3 year deal in the off season. I did just see this posted by the Albany beat writer.

Wonder if they will stay the Devils or if they will rebrand.

Binghamton Angels anyone lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

With how many franchises have moved out of NY, how does a franchise not capitalize on less competition

3 of the worst attendance teams in the AHL are in NY state. 2 more are in CT.

PA on the other hand 2 of the top 5 teams in attendance.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

What I saw was that Harris and Blitzer are more bottom line focused. Bingo is further from NJ, so will be harder to get players at the last minute.

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Binghamton guy here. We may be toward the bottom in attendance but we have a very inexpensive arena to operate. County only charges like $2,000 per game. Also, our average attendance last year was around 3,800 which is 80% capacity of our building. Note the article is wrong about the size of our arena, that capacity listed is for a concert with floor seating, hockey capacity is about 4,700. We also have a large base of season ticket holders relative to our population size and arena capacity.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Binghamton guy here. We may be toward the bottom in attendance but we have a very inexpensive arena to operate. County only charges like $2,000 per game. Also, our average attendance last year was around 3,800 which is 80% capacity of our building. Note the article is wrong about the size of our arena, that capacity listed is for a concert with floor seating, hockey capacity is about 4,700. We also have a large base of season ticket holders relative to our population size and arena capacity.

Hey even better.

Who do you guys tend to root for at the NHL level?

Is there any conflict if the minor squad is a rivals affiliate?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

This has nothing to do with Chris Lamoriello, don't look for reasons to blame just for the sake of doing so. Playing along though, since moving back to Albany in 2010, the team has progressively gotten better from the season prior with the exception of one.

Going back to the River Rats days when they were affiliated with the Devils and then after when they weren't, Albany was always at the bottom of the league attendance wise. This is an Albany hockey market issue, not Devils: (http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Sources-Albany-Devils-leaving-for-Binghamton-10884403.php)

AHL teams tend to move frequently as do many other minor league teams in other sports. Many professional sports teams at the major league level aren't profitable so of course minor league teams aren't going to fare much better.

Perhaps this move was also financially more feasible and cheaper for the Devils to do as well versus what was offered to them in Albany.

What I saw was that Harris and Blitzer are more bottom line focused. Bingo is further from NJ, so will be harder to get players at the last minute.

It's less direct, but otherwise its only 20 miles further from Newark-Binghamton than it is Newark-Albany. Remember we were in Lowell, MA for a few years before coming back to Albany which is almost 200 miles further from Newark than both Albany/Binghamton.

They should be fine.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was also surprised that Binghamton isn't that much further from Newark than Albany is.

I'm pretty geography savvy too, from a young age. I'd be able to backseat drive to places when I was like 6 or 7.:laugh:

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Binghamton is right on 81 on the NY/PA border. An hour north of Scranton and like others said, can easily get to the rock in under 3 hours

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Binghamton guy here. We may be toward the bottom in attendance but we have a very inexpensive arena to operate. County only charges like $2,000 per game. Also, our average attendance last year was around 3,800 which is 80% capacity of our building. Note the article is wrong about the size of our arena, that capacity listed is for a concert with floor seating, hockey capacity is about 4,700. We also have a large base of season ticket holders relative to our population size and arena c, apacity.

I look forward to going to Binghamton.

Albany was a fun place to visit but that area just doesn't support pro hockey.

Your city will give the team a better home ice advantage.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It's not like it's that much of a difference. How many times throughout the year do you need to get a player from the AHL last minute?

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Oh how I wish they would move to Lehigh Valley!

At least the Lehigh Valley is a lot closer to Binghamton than Albany is - a bit more than 2 hours I believe.

One has to guess the Devils' AHL team will play more games against the LV Phantoms in Allentown, and for that matter more road games against the WBS Penguins and the Hershey Bears. All of this is good news for my Lehigh Valley family visits; it will now become more likely I'll be able see the AHL Devils during my trips.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I was hoping they would get a unique nickname but apparently it will be Devils.
Bad marketing move off the bat IMO.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Did a quick google map and binghamton is a 2:45 drive away from the Rock. Times Union Center is 2:20. Not that much of a difference (to my surprise).

For people out in say Morris County near I-80, Binghamton is likely closer than Albany.

Here's the other thing, which I also mention in a post above - the AHL Devils will play more road games that are more easily accessible from north Jersey, especially in Allentown and to a lesser degree Wilkes-Barre and Hershey (the latter of which probably seems far but is probably about 3 hours from Newark). I just checked and Lehigh Valley plays 6 games (3 home, 3 road) against Binghamton this season compared to just 2 games against Albany. That's the highest number of games Lehigh Valley plays against any non-division foe. Binghamton and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton also will play each other 6 times this year. It's not likely the AHL will realign such that Binghamton is in the same division as Wilkes-Barre, Lehigh Valley, and Hershey (the Binghamton Senators WERE in the same division for a few years though), but if they do that probably means even more AHL Devils games in Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, and Hershey.

Last edited:

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I was hoping they would get a unique nickname but apparently it will be Devils.
Bad marketing move off the bat IMO.

Please explain

For people out in say Morris County near I-80, Binghamton is likely closer than Albany.

Here's the other thing, which I also mention in a post above - the AHL Devils will play more road games that are more easily accessible from north Jersey, especially in Allentown and to a lesser degree Wilkes-Barre and Hershey (the latter of which probably seems far but is probably about 3 hours from Newark). I just checked and Lehigh Valley plays 6 games (3 home, 3 road) against Binghamton this season compared to just 2 games against Albany. That's the highest number of games Lehigh Valley plays against any non-division foe. Binghamton and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton also will play each other 6 times this year. It's not likely the AHL will realign such that Binghamton is in the same division as Wilkes-Barre, Lehigh Valley, and Hershey (the Binghamton Senators WERE in the same division for a few years though), but if they do that probably means even more AHL Devils games in Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, and Hershey.

Yea, I'm in Warren County and can get to Binghamton in 2 hours, Lehigh Valley in 45 minutes and WBS in an hour so I like the move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad