Prospect Info: Albany Devils & ECHL affiliates Thread, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Nah he's too soft to play in the bottom 6 and doesn't really do anything to warrant a top 6 role.

He's the typical AHL scorer who won't amount to anything in the NHL.

If you think Gionta is too soft than yea, but like I've said before, he is a Gionta clone this year. With the big late hits and tons of hustle.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Nah he's too soft to play in the bottom 6 and doesn't really do anything to warrant a top 6 role.

He's the typical AHL scorer who won't amount to anything in the NHL.

Albany Devils ‏@AlbanyDevils 41m
#GOAL! Joe Whitney picks the upper-left corning with 10:25 remaining in the second to give the #ADevils a 1-0 lead #AlbPor

Alright, let's count how many times a Devil picks a corner tonight against a goalie who might as well be in the AHL. Whitney obviously isn't ideal in terms of size, but when was the last time the Devils have a guy under a 2-way contract putting above a PPG in Albany? He deserves a shot, especially with the team in freefall struggling to score. Can't be any worse than Bernier or Tedenby or Loktionov have been.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Albany Devils ‏@AlbanyDevils 41m
#GOAL! Joe Whitney picks the upper-left corning with 10:25 remaining in the second to give the #ADevils a 1-0 lead #AlbPor

Alright, let's count how many times a Devil picks a corner tonight against a goalie who might as well be in the AHL. Whitney obviously isn't ideal in terms of size, but when was the last time the Devils have a guy under a 2-way contract putting above a PPG in Albany? He deserves a shot, especially with the team in freefall struggling to score. Can't be any worse than Bernier or Tedenby or Loktionov have been.
Call me crazy, but I think he can produce at the NHL level. Probably not to what he does in the AHL, but he's still a pretty gifted goal scorer. Some of his goals are pretty nice. Good shot, good skater, not so great along the boards from what I've seen, but a pretty good offensive player. I could be wrong and we could have another Bobby Butler on our hands. AHL superstar, NHL nobody. I think he deserves a chance. I was hoping we would have just let Reid develop in the AHL, and call him up instead. He deserves a shot, I'm not sure what the guy has to do.
I wonder what's wrong with Whitney that he's not even getting a shot. Kinky gave up 1 goal on 39 shots. He's having a season.

I think Kinkaid will be good. I think he'll be a decent NHL backup. It will be interesting to see what happens if Marty retires after this year. Do we sign a journeyman backup? Or let Kinkaid be the backup? Kinkaid has been awesome. I'm not too high on Wedgewood anymore though. Not sure what people really saw in him. He's been pretty awful in comparison to Kinkaid.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wonder what's wrong with Whitney that he's not even getting a shot. Kinky gave up 1 goal on 39 shots. He's having a season.

There isn't really room for him. And I don't blame the staff right now for not taking a chance on a kid when they have bigger things to worry about. Though I guess I wouldn't have minded much if Whitney had been called up before Boucher.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
He's 2 for 3 in shootouts this year, 6-17 in his career. May be a place for him after all. :handclap::help:

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Kinkaid has the best stats of any AHL goalie this year; slightly better than Martin Jones. If the Schneider trade didn't happen he'd be a decent NHL backup already. He, Scarlett and Timmins (when fit) have been the nicest surprises, while Pesonen, Kelly and Hrabarenka have stepped forward too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinkaid did not play.

The difference between Kinkaid and Wedgewood this year is astronomical. Wedgewood just sucks from everything I've seen with him this year. Absolutely horrid positioning. He looks like he had a good game today, but overall I think Wedgewood might have been one of our most overrated prospects in years.

Kinkaid has the best save percentage in the league. Wedgewood has the second worst playing behind the same team. I just don't think he's any good.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
The difference between Kinkaid and Wedgewood this year is astronomical. Wedgewood just sucks from everything I've seen with him this year. Absolutely horrid positioning. He looks like he had a good game today, but overall I think Wedgewood might have been one of our most overrated prospects in years.

Kinkaid has the best save percentage in the league. Wedgewood has the second worst playing behind the same team. I just don't think he's any good.

Too be fair Kinakid looked pretty bad the previous two years also...like ECHL level bad.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Goalies take a little while to develop. It's Scott's first full AHL season, it's a little silly to label him a bust right now.

Now if you consistently suck for 4-5 years ala Frazee, then you can label him a bust.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too be fair Kinakid looked pretty bad the previous two years also...like ECHL level bad.

Not anywhere near as bad as Wedgewood looks right now. He looked decent the last two years from what I saw. I didn't watch any of their games in 11-12, but he looked decent at worst in 12-13 when I was following them.

Wedgewood looks terrible. His positioning sucks badly. Frazee wasn't that bad either. I never really watched him before 12-13, but he was good that year.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Helgeson's 1st career goal

11652162576_fd4d7d9330_o.gif

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Helgeson shoots, an opposing player tips it and it slips in short side

i believe