New Jersey

From last thread:

Now, who takes that 2C spot in Albany?

It seems like they've settled with:

Whitney-Henrique-Butler
Anderson-Josefson-(someone)
Tedenby-Zalewski- (someone)
Sestito-Zajac- (someone)

At least, when I've watched it that's what it seemed like.

Does Anderson move to center or do they move Wohlberg or Zalewski up?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'd like to try Wohlberg with some skilled players and see what happens. I'm not expecting anything crazy (or even good) out of him, but if he could keep up, it'd be a good sign for his chances at making the NHL as a bottom-6 guy.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'd like to try Wohlberg with some skilled players and see what happens. I'm not expecting anything crazy (or even good) out of him, but if he could keep up, it'd be a good sign for his chances at making the NHL as a bottom-6 guy.
That's my thinking too. I've liked Wohlberg since we drafted him and I wouldn't mind giving him a shot and seeing what he can do.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I might be late here but from what I can understand, Tedenby isn't even getting top 6 minutes in Albany over guys like Whitney and Anderson... seriously?

IMO, he's bound to head back home when his deal will come to a end, wich is in the next 6 months.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
As a defenceman? That's unexpected.

He does have the makings of a strong AHL-lifer. He was a young kid with promise who couldn't really hold it together in the NHL. And on top of that, he's right around prime age for a defenseman.

All that said, it's still early in the season. He still hasn't played in the NHL since New Jersey and it doesn't look like that's gonna change with Ottawa. Maybe as an injury call-up.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He does have the makings of a strong AHL-lifer. He was a young kid with promise who couldn't really hold it together in the NHL. And on top of that, he's right around prime age for a defenseman.

All that said, it's still early in the season. He still hasn't played in the NHL since New Jersey and it doesn't look like that's gonna change with Ottawa. Maybe as an injury call-up.
He's got more tools in his toolbox than Mottau did.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I might be late here but from what I can understand, Tedenby isn't even getting top 6 minutes in Albany over guys like Whitney and Anderson... seriously?

IMO, he's bound to head back home when his deal will come to a end, wich is in the next 6 months.
Whitney and Anderson are outplaying him by leaps and bounds. Tedenby is on a one way ticket to Sweden following this year unless he wants to continue an AHL career.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think that's necessarily true. At least not from a production standpoint. I really don't like the guy, and I've let that known. I'm not sure Whitney, and Anderson are outplaying him by leaps, and bounds. Tedenby was out for a whole week of games cause he was sick or something a few weeks ago. I think Whitney may have missed some time though.

Tedenby's defense is still bad though from what I've seen. He makes Kovy look like he just won the Selke.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Whitney is better than Tedenby, or at least Whitney is producing, and Anderson is Albany's older, veteran leader. He is essentially their all-around Zubrus type player.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Whitney was Albany's leading point scorer last year. I don't think he's going at that rate this year. By that I don't mean not just points leader. I mean not at the same pace as last year.

Could be a nice Stephen Gionta type player for us one day.

GM17*

It's a shame Tedenby might have the best hands I've ever seen but is so rough elsewhere in his game

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Joe Whitney has 6 points (1+5) in 10 games. Matt Anderson has 9 points (3+6) in 16 games. Adam Henrique has 8 points in 16 games. Who would you rather have in Newark next year? Henrique's behind both of them in +/-, as well. Why is anyone making judgment calls on someone's future not even 20 games into an AHL season?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Last time I watched a A-Devils game last week, Tedenby tried to go 1 on 3 during a Devils PP.

Skills are obvious but his brutal lack of smartness has always been a concern. I won't hold my breath...

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tyler Eckford leads the Binghamton Senators in points with 5g-5a.

I always like Eckford. He was a victim of the logjam we've had in the D pipeline the past few years. I thought he would have a niche in the NHL as a bottom pairing PP guy with sheltered minutes at ES (think Foster, but not as glaringly awful), but alas, he never got more than a cup of coffee here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I always like Eckford. He was a victim of the logjam we've had in the D pipeline the past few years. I thought he would have a niche in the NHL as a bottom pairing PP guy with sheltered minutes at ES (think Foster, but not as glaringly awful), but alas, he never got more than a cup of coffee here.

I think you are confusing Taormina with Eckford.

Eckford is a career AHL D....

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think you are confusing Taormina with Eckford.

Eckford is a career AHL D....

There was a time when Eckford was our most promising D prospect. Most of us were expecting him to finally make the team in 10-11 and then he missed camp and never caught up and that kinda screwed him. And something else must've happened cuz I can't imagine why OMG was playing over ANYONE.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

He would have gotten his chance if his play merited it, but it never did. He was never really blowing everybody's doors off, he was our best defensive prospect kind of by default because the alternative was Corrente.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He would have gotten his chance if his play merited it, but it never did. He was never really blowing everybody's doors off, he was our best defensive prospect kind of by default because the alternative was Corrente.

A former Devils player who is still involved with the team in some capacity (Not Daneyko), told me a few years ago at a season ticket holder event, that Eckford would never make it because he's soft and has no heart.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Last edited:

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Whitney and Anderson are outplaying him by leaps and bounds. Tedenby is on a one way ticket to Sweden following this year unless he wants to continue an AHL career.

What is your take on Whitney? I assume he is a career AHL'er, but any chance he can get a crack on the big team? He was such a pleasure to watch at BC.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What is your take on Whitney? I assume he is a career AHL'er, but any chance he can get a crack on the big team? He was such a pleasure to watch at BC.

Just my opinion from a few games, he's a real catalyst offensively, he's smart. It's weird, he is really small, but he doesn't get pushed around that much and isn't afraid to go into corners. Kind of like how both Giontas are. Maybe he could crack an NHL top six as an offensive guy, but it's a real long shot.

I'm not sure if he is the type of player that would be worth it in the bottom-six. He's kind of like a Tedenby, but he doesn't try to do too much like Tedenby does, and he's a bit smarter as well, using his linemates more...

He was more of a "why not" type signing. Albany needed offensive forwards and he is very good offensively. If he makes the NHL, great, if not, he's a solid offensive player for an AHL squad.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Just my opinion from a few games, he's a real catalyst offensively, he's smart. It's weird, he is really small, but he doesn't get pushed around that much and isn't afraid to go into corners. Kind of like how both Giontas are. Maybe he could crack an NHL top six as an offensive guy, but it's a real long shot.

I'm not sure if he is the type of player that would be worth it in the bottom-six. He's kind of like a Tedenby, but he doesn't try to do too much like Tedenby does, and he's a bit smarter as well, using his linemates more...

If he isn't a liability defensively and a plus possession guy as it seems he is, why not:

Whitney-Josefson-Clarkson for third line or move Carter up and put Whitney on the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad