Player Discussion Alain Vigneault: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I'd be shocked if AV gets fired unless there's a rebellion in the locker room or Lundqvist (the only player with the kind of weight to do it) pulls a "me or him" type move.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Who would we get? Had Julien been let go, then I would say, fire him.

I just don't see anything out there that's worth letting him go for.

Unless the Rangers plan on going full rebuild (which they can't because they don't have the assets to do so), then you have to let him ride this thing out until a coach with championship credentials becomes available.

I'm not happy with what he is doing either, but I also don't want to bring someone in here as a placeholder. Give him that 4th year, try and change out some parts and see if he can improve the club.

Who would've thought Sullivan could turn around the penguins? Did anyone know Dan Bylsma could win a Stanley Cup? Most coaches are no name guys before they start. With some due diligence I'm sure there's a guy out there who could replace av just fine.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'd be shocked if AV gets fired unless there's a rebellion in the locker room or Lundqvist (the only player with the kind of weight to do it) pulls a "me or him" type move.

Lundy may be getting to a point where he no longer has that kind of clout.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Pittsburgh tightens in the neutral zone

AGAIN.

and the Rangers completely fall apart offensively

AGAIN.

When will this god damn clown figure something out??? Obviously you can't just flip a switch and the roster is kind of limited offensively but the constant dump-ins and poor zone entries, ****ing christ, MADDENING.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
We need to command the center of the ice, the way Anaheim, Chicago, and TB do. We're always content to play along the boards while the opposition clogs the middle and waits to block our shots into an odd-man rush the other way. I haven't figured out if it's a roster deficiency, a coaching issue, or both.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe, just MAYBEEEEE they just aren't good enough? Maybe the 7/8th best team in the east is getting exposed by the best team in the East?
Sure, but that is no reason to continue to have the strategy continue to be to stickhandle through the middle of the ice. Or keeping shooting from only the outside.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
The Rangers certainly look like a team that has tuned AV out. Not really surprising, if your boss kept giving promotions and the best assignments to guys that didn't deserve it or kept screwing it up (glass, girardi), evetually you'd stop believing he knew what he was doing and you'd stop paying attention.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Sure, but that is no reason to continue to have the strategy continue to be to stickhandle through the middle of the ice. Or keeping shooting from only the outside.

Oh absolutely. I've been an AV critic. I'm saying this in response to the narrative that it's the players faults because they aren't trying hard enough. Or they weren't up for the game.

Like the only difference in beating Pitt is the players getting fired up enough.

It's a stupid, lazy narrative.

But AV is still terrible, and he's gas on an already burning tire fire.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
People really think AV is the issue here?

This team has 2 defensemen signed long-term who just can't play solid defense anymore.
This team lacks speed, lacks physicality.
Lundqvist just isn't having a great season (Outside that stretch in November)

If you want to blame AV for this, go ahead. But any other coach would have had the same issues. This team consists of overpaid veterans because we had a GM who has no ****ing clue how to work with a salary cap. He keeps rewarding players for past performances and completely ignoring the future.

How the hell does Girardi get a 6-year deal when it was apparent he could not keep this up with the way he plays? Redden all over again.

Staal has not been the same since he got a puck to the eye, but he gets a 5.7m extension. God knows why.

Lundqvist gets 8.5m until he is 40. How is that a good deal? It is insane. I know, he is a great goalie, and without him we would not even be in the play offs, but to give him a deal with a NMC until he is 40 is just not the way to go. Pre-2005, I would have no problem with it at all, but you cannot have this much money allocated to a goalie and 2 pylons without your offense suffering. Signing Staal was the nail in the coffin of this team. Had to get rid of Hagelin, while Washington signs Justin Williams for 3.25m. Same with Talbot. We had to trade him to fit everything under the cap.

And people blame AV for the way this team has taken a nosedive talent-wise. Sure. It's AVs fault. Fire him and watch his successor have the same issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad