Player Discussion Alain Vigneault: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
We all know what his adjustment to game 3 will be, if any.

Girardi in for Skjei

Lindberg in for Hayes

Play hard!

Status quo.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That is the damming part. There is no concept of adapting to what is being thrown in during the game. That 3rd period of 4 shots on goal was just brutal to watch. Same silly attempts to stickhandle through a wall of defenders failing over and over and over again.....

The team has been tremendously successful with the system, and the same can be said with Vancouver for the most part. However, when the opposing team figures it out, it triggers a complete collapse of the team's offensive abilities. There's no backup plan, no strategy adjustment, nothing. Like you said, that 3rd period was absolutely brutal to watch. It looks like the Pens figured out that a trap and counter-attack style could absolutely steam roll us, and they'd take their chances with the Rangers trying to dump and chase.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Yeah, the 4th line and the trap.

Now tell me what does that have to do with our horrid power play??

The PP is just a microcosm of the larger problem this team has 5v5 against stacking the blueline. The Rangers could not execute a clean entry if their lives depended on it and the few times they did the Pens suffocated the puck carrier. A legitimately good power play is lethal against an aggressive PK because they can move the puck quickly and create space completely nullifying the aggression. The Rangers powerplay looks more like a chess match, you can tell every guy with the puck is just thinking too long about what the next move is. There is little to no intuitive movement or creativity. Then when they feel the pressure they force bad plays or redundant ones along the perimeter. OVER AND OVER AND OVER. God forbid they decide to try and just get the puck on net for a rebound, it bounces off of a defender's shin 9/10 times. It has to be one of the most infuriating spectacles to witness.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Without a doubt I miss him being in the lineup, he's a much better player than glass but for the one element that glass brings I understand why the coach does it.

There's no sense in repeating it over and over and over again, people make this out to be like this is the only coach who's ever done something like this and it's the one thing that's really holding the team back.

Special teams are very important in the playoffs and this team is not special in those areas that's what should be a really big concern yet Tanner Glass and Dan Boyle are the ones really keeping this team from doing it all, doesn't make sense.

And what about Arniel and Samuelsson ??

That's AV for you. Lives and dies by his vets that he trusts in.

Hopefully this time it gets him fired. No reason for Glass nor Boyle to be playing. No reason for Girardi to have played as much as he did after game 25 of the season, instead it took a complete embarrassment and exposure of him in game 1, game #83 of the season, before he did something about it with intention of indicating his play won't cut it.

I remember MSL last year every time the puck landed on his stick it looked like he was panicking, freaking out, lost his dynamic. AV still trotted him out. Boyle's showing the same problem this year, and yet AV still hasn't learned from his mistakes, and Boyle is trotted out time after time. Now he's costing us games (again--what a surprise -_-). I'm just sick of watching AV shoot himself in the foot over and over. It's almost like he needs to be protected from himself.

Honestly, those reasons right there should be enough to fire him. Don't get me started on his INSISTENCE of Glass being in the lineup (it's been overly defended and it's still undefined it at this point), the yoyoing of McIlrath in spite of 2 declining defensemen in Girardi and Boyle (and 1 having the worst season of his career in Staal), and the lack of consistency in lineups.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
“We were stubborn,” Derek Stepan said. “It’s playoff hockey, it’s a real simple game; you chip it in and you go get it as a five-man unit.

“They’re up by a goal, they’re packing the zone, and we kept trying to skate it through.”

http://nypost.com/2016/04/19/rangers-trailing-series-due-to-stubborn-boneheaded-strategy/

It pisses me off that the Rangers knew their strategy wasn't working, and continued to do so anyway.

Both the coaching staff and the players need to quit their stubborn adherence of playing fancy and trying to skate their way through a trap when it's obviously not effective. There's a rigidity to the Rangers' approach that doesn't account for the fluid nature and situational swings of the game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I do not see a scenario where AV is NOT the coach next year.

Really? It would be a significantly worse step back than when Torts' (far more inferior) team was eliminated by Boston if they get eliminated in this round. Management has proven that it won't interfere with AV's coaching but you can be sure they see the same deficiencies and unexplained moves or lack of that we see. If there are rumblings that this team will be blown up you can bet that coaching will be under consideration as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Really? It would be a significantly worse step back than when Torts' (far more inferior) team was eliminated by Boston if they get eliminated in this round. Management has proven that it won't interfere with AV's coaching but you can be sure they see the same deficiencies and unexplained moves or lack of that we see. If there are rumblings that this team will be blown up you can bet that coaching will be under consideration as well.
I think that AV's philosophy is exactly what Sather wants. AV is a good coach. He has his flaws and is proving that his limitations put a ceiling on him. The team is largely assembled with his fingerprints all over it. Not sure what it would take for him to get the ax, but I believe that he will be here next season.

I would much rather that the Sather brought in a Crawford, but do not see him firing AV.

Broadway Brad

Feb 26, 2012
Can't or refuses to adjust his strategy.

Unwavering loyalty to undeserving players.

Broke up one of the best lines on the team (Lindberg-Staal-Stalberg).

Broke up one of the best defensive pairs on the team (Yandle-McIlrath).

Banished McIlrath to the bench because it was "the right thing to do."

Keeps ruining an entire line by playing Tanner Glass.

Constantly plays poor line combinations and defensive pairs.

Please, please someone explain to me why this guy is a good coach or even deserves to keep his job. I don't want to hear a word about the past success or 101 points this year. This is easily one of the most talented teams in the league. They would be a playoff team regardless of the coach (see this year). With a good coach, they'd be a Cup favorite.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Glen Sather need to do something before he retires - NY need a new coach imho.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Vigneault's perception of himself being the smartest guy in the room is going to be the demise of this team.

Shower Girardi with accolades and protect him from unfair criticism? Throws Lundqvist under bus half a dozen times.

Create third line of Lindberg/Staal/Stalberg that appears to actually work? Scratch Lindberg and continue to play Kevin "Spicoli" Hayes instead of allowing chemistry to flourish and perhaps create something.

Play Skeji on off side,force feed minutes despite his obvious shortcomings while scratching McIlrath, an actual RD.

We won't even touch on the eternal love story that is Tanner.

He needs to be relieved of his duties along with the entire coaching staff at the inevitable conclusion of this season.

100% Spot on.

This game has a similar feeling to the game against Dallas that ended Tom Renney's run here.

Yeah they mailed it in all right. This group wants their summer to start early.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I can't fathom why u put Boyle and yandle together....I literally can't explain on any level how that could be a good defensive pair....particularly if u saw cullens goal last game. Sigh. I hate to say this, but I'm not at all surprised by this game or this series. Our coach simply has no clue. None.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I can't fathom why u put Boyle and yandle together....I literally can't explain on any level how that could be a good defensive pair....particularly if u saw cullens goal last game. Sigh. I hate to say this, but I'm not at all surprised by this game or this series. Our coach simply has no clue. None.

That pair, and about 95% of the team sucking ass is a bigger problem than the coach. mean, I dont get it. Is it just too tough to admit the players arent that good as well?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Maybe the players should be put in a position to succeed.

Yeah...the team put out a clunker...its obvious...but why are we playing yandle and Boyle? Who is mcilrath glued to the bench? Why isn't Hayes playing over glass? Why haven't we reunited the staaaalberg line? Why is the PP and PK in shambles? Why can't we adjust to the neutral zone trap? When you have so many questions and most of them can be at least partially if not completely attributed to the coach....well....

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Torts was necessary because the players gave up on Renney. Torts brought in a sense of accountability, he could have refined his system to be a little less shot blocking, but he didn't, it seems he has learned now. That said, he is hard on his players and wears them down over time, and it was time for a new voice and after 3 season of AV, the players have quit on the coach yet again because this season he has thrown out accountability and shows zero emotions, they need a new voice, I think Iron Mike and/or Messier should take over tonight, what do you have to lose at this point?

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I haven't been aboard the "Fire AV train" as long as many here, but I'm starting to come around. However, it still seems like a long shot to me. It's only his third season, after seasons 1 and 2 resulted in 2 of the most successful seasons in franchise history. As frustrating as his decision making has been, that isn't going to be lost on mgmt.

Separately, if the players have honestly quit on (yet another) coach, then is giving them what they want (again) the right move? Renney got 5 seasons. Torts got 4. Now AV is only getting 3? I don't think letting the inmates run the asylum is the right approach, and only further enables the country club atmosphere many have alluded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad