Recalled/Assigned: AJ Greer (again)

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He certainly wasn't the worst player. Would have helped if he didn't have perimeter Duchene with him too. But it wasn't unexpected to send him back. He's come a long way in a short time. Was even on the pp and pk yesterday. Some AHL time is good but hope he's back soon.

Yea, he didn't exactly have much help out there. Soda looked more engaged playing with him, but it was basically 2 on 5 everytime those guys were in the zone since our defensemen decided to take the night off. He definitely still showed some good stuff, love the hustle on this guy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
His game definitely was fading. Saw lots of good things, and Bednar was using him in tough spots so he obviously has the trust of the staff already, so I don't doubt that he'll be back.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Greer plays a competent 4th line game at the NHL level and for a 19 year old second rounder that's good. But he still has a long way ahead of him.

He just looks better than he really is because so many of the others play with such low intensity. He sticks out.

He does seem to have good hockey sense, so I'm hopeful for continued success.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He was good moving the puck up ice, which this team could use. I don't think all he did was skate hard and hit guys. But sure the hope is he can develop into a more complete player.

He's very conscientious about getting the puck out of the zone. Quick to the boards and doesn't screw up. That's something this team needs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's for the best. Let him go and dominate the AHL ala Rantanen instead of rotting away here and turning into T.J. Galiardi, and not the good version. For as much hope that I have for him, he needs development time.

He's made massive strides in only two years. Nothing to be ashamed about by playing in the AHL full season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's not unexpected, but I am a little disappointed. The usual reason to send a guy like him down is to get more playing time. But Greer was actually getting good minutes with good linemates up here, and contributing positively. He could probably have continued his development at the NHL level just as well as the AHL. Hopefully he'll be back soon when a bottom six player gets hurt.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's not unexpected, but I am a little disappointed. The usual reason to send a guy like him down is to get more playing time. But Greer was actually getting good minutes with good linemates up here, and contributing positively. He could probably have continued his development at the NHL level just as well as the AHL. Hopefully he'll be back soon when a bottom six player gets hurt.

There's contributing positively and getting proper icetime, but that doesnt' always translate to developing. Greer needs to score, and if he stayed up in the NHL he'd maybe get 20 points. AHL he can be near PPG.

It would be similar like Rantanen last year, where he looked NHL ready (albeit timid). If he stayed up and even if he got decent minutes, he wouldn't be the same player this year.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
To me it was obvious he still has things to learn and improve upon. Keep him down in the AHL until the tdl then call him and compher up to see their progress over the year

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Yay for Landeskog at least.

Landeskog has been average at best. His production in every area has been dropping for the last 3 years straight.

BTW, if Bednar was serious about winning, Iginla would be riding the pine, and Greer would stay up. Landeskog can play 3rd line minutes as far as I'm concerned. Needs to earn his ice time back, not just have it handed to him, so he can shrug his shoulders at yet another loss.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Landeskog has been average at best. His production in every area has been dropping for the last 3 years straight.

BTW, if Bednar was serious about winning, Iginla would be riding the pine, and Greer would stay up. Landeskog can play 3rd line minutes as far as I'm concerned. Needs to earn his ice time back, not just have it handed to him, so he can shrug his shoulders at yet another loss.

Ya the captain of the team needs to prove his worth to you... He's just a 3rd line grinder so maybe he'll embrace that role soon...

thehockeywatchinger

Nov 2, 2011
For me I am interested to see if Greer will get important ice for Rampage. Until now he is about 10-12 minutes with no PK and no 4x4. He was 2e PP.

It is my opinion that this is not a strong way of development.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For me I am interested to see if Greer will get important ice for Rampage. Until now he is about 10-12 minutes with no PK and no 4x4. He was 2e PP.

It is my opinion that this is not a strong way of development.

He was 1/2 line before and now there's even fewer forwards there. Only reason 2nd PP was to try and get the stupid vets going. Will be interesting if they play him on the RW more and give him PK time.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Not a bad showing for him in his few games in the NHL.

I thought Greer looked like a nice 4th line forward. I liked his simple physical game, right up until the point where he had to handle the puck, particularly in the offensive zone. It's clear that there are nuances to positioning and keeping control of the puck on a forecheck, that Greer needs to learn.

But as Freudian said, at least he was forechecking and playing with effort and intensity. Which really did stick out on this roster. AHL time will be good for him, and it seems as if the Avs have a future NHL guy there. Whether that's a bottom 6 or a top 6 guy.......time will tell I suppose.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Greer plays a competent 4th line game at the NHL level and for a 19 year old second rounder that's good. But he still has a long way ahead of him.

He just looks better than he really is because so many of the others play with such low intensity. He sticks out.

If we went through every team's possible lineup permutations, and compared them to the Avs potentially icing Mitchell/Grigorenko/Colborne/Wiercioch/Barrie, would that Avs group be the softest possible lineup in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad