Recalled/Assigned: AJ Greer (again)

Quicksilver*

Sep 19, 2015
Duchene will play tomorrow. He skated and was cleared today.

"Matt looked good," Bednar said. "We did some battling at the end of practice and he looked like he was working hard, getting hit, taking hits, giving hits. So now as long as he feels good later today and tomorrow, then he should be a player for us."

He most likely will, but concussions are a tricky mistress.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hope he stays even when Landeskog comes back. Kid has been getting better and more confident with each game. Still does some rookie things but thats to be expected. He nailed Jack Johnson pretty hard last night along the boards.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A lot of people here are very high on Greer, including myself (I have the history here to back that up). Right now SA is a tire fire, so hopefully he can stay away until they get somewhat healthy. Assuming they do, I'd rather see Greer continue to work on his offense in the AHL than be in a 3rd/4th line role here. Compher and Greer are too important to the future top 9 depth to have their development stalled.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Greer was the only one with a corsi of 50% or better for the Avs last night. Also had 4 SOG in 15:26. So it's not like Bednar is not giving him an opportunity here. When Landy comes back I'd have the lines as.

Greer-Mack-Rantanen
Landy-Soda-Duchene (Duchene takes the draws)
Marty-Mitchell-Comeau
Colborne-Grigs-Iggy

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I agree with Hench here, Greer has been great but I'd like to see him develop more. There's no doubt that playing in the NHL and practicing in the NHL will help him, but a full year dominating the AHL could do even more.

He's a great puck hound, let's see if he can get the scoring confidence to go with it.

thehockeywatchinger

Nov 2, 2011
I looked at all Rampage matchs. This is not a place to develop top prospects. It has been brique-a-braq and bad habit develop. Greer and Comfort need to be with Avalanches and develop their game with LNH players. They will help the team and the team will develop these players like they should. Low level prospects can be with the Rampage.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I agree with Hench here, Greer has been great but I'd like to see him develop more. There's no doubt that playing in the NHL and practicing in the NHL will help him, but a full year dominating the AHL could do even more.

He's a great puck hound, let's see if he can get the scoring confidence to go with it.

At this point I don't think he needs a full year, a couple months more would do.

If the Rampage were healthy I'd agree, but that current tire fire full of scrubs is not going to do much for his development.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Meh. If AHL time is what he needs for his development the success of the Rampage shouldn't matter much. What's the difference in playing on a bottom AHL team and a bottom NHL team? He will still get to play with Grimaldi and play against other AHL talent so the purpose is still there.

He should get another few games before Landy comes back before they have to make up their mind but if they think he could use some AHL seasoning the decision will not at all be impacted by the Rampage's record.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If he plays well enough to make it impossible to send him down, I don't think it will hurt him long term not to develop in the minors a bit more. I worry about players in the NHL who are clearly playing above their heads not developing properly, but Greer has been getting shots, winning puck battles, making some good defensive plays, and earned the trust of the coaches to be on the ice in the last minutes of a one goal game. IMO, that last one is the most important metric.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Meh. If AHL time is what he needs for his development the success of the Rampage shouldn't matter much. What's the difference in playing on a bottom AHL team and a bottom NHL team? He will still get to play with Grimaldi and play against other AHL talent so the purpose is still there.

He should get another few games before Landy comes back before they have to make up their mind but if they think he could use some AHL seasoning the decision will not at all be impacted by the Rampage's record.

It's not so much the record, they are actually playing ok. It's more that it's pretty much an ECHL team there now. I don't think that's a great situation for development. It pretty much just becomes about grinding and hanging on to win at that point and the potential for injury goes way up having to play that way. That's why somebody gets injured every game now, it starts with bad luck and just snowballs having to play a more reckless style. I know the Avs are going to do what's best for them but it's just my concern.

I don't think he stays after Landy returns, I don't think they are ready to make that call over their other depth guys. So I'm not really arguing for something that's not going to happen. He he has opened a lot of eyes and adapted amazingly well. I think he is a guy that can get something out of practicing with and being around NHL players. I think the bigger question is, next time he comes up should he stsy? It's really an interesting quandary because I think Greer helps the Avs today and I do believe in AHL development and I honestly don't know which ends up making him the best player.

Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't think Greer's development would be harm by being in SA right now.
As poor as the roster is, they at least fall in line developmentally wise with the Avs NHL philosophy. In years past they were simply out there skating around and not developing for the future.

There is purpose in SA right now and they need to build up their roster to bring that vision to life.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
OT but I was just on Instagram and you can see the feed of who liked what photos. Most of my buds and athletes I follow are liking all these half naked model and fitness photos. In the middle of all that it says "AJ Greer likes cutiecutiepuppies photo" and it's just a photo of a cute puppy. I love AJ more now.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Greer was the only one with a corsi of 50% or better for the Avs last night. Also had 4 SOG in 15:26. So it's not like Bednar is not giving him an opportunity here. When Landy comes back I'd have the lines as.

Greer-Mack-Rantanen
Landy-Soda-Duchene (Duchene takes the draws)
Marty-Mitchell-Comeau
Colborne-Grigs-Iggy

Uh, what becomes of Rene Bourque? Or keep McLeod and Bourque as the 13th and 14th forwards, 7 D-men and 2 net minders for a 23 man roster? I'd rather Bourque be playing over Colborne.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It's not so much the record, they are actually playing ok. It's more that it's pretty much an ECHL team there now. I don't think that's a great situation for development. It pretty much just becomes about grinding and hanging on to win at that point and the potential for injury goes way up having to play that way. That's why somebody gets injured every game now, it starts with bad luck and just snowballs having to play a more reckless style. I know the Avs are going to do what's best for them but it's just my concern.

I don't think he stays after Landy returns, I don't think they are ready to make that call over their other depth guys. So I'm not really arguing for something that's not going to happen. He he has opened a lot of eyes and adapted amazingly well. I think he is a guy that can get something out of practicing with and being around NHL players. I think the bigger question is, next time he comes up should he stsy? It's really an interesting quandary because I think Greer helps the Avs today and I do believe in AHL development and I honestly don't know which ends up making him the best player.

While you may be right that Greer would go back down, I think there's a chance that Bednar could have already soured on Colborne enough to keep Greer up. Guess we'll see

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Uh, what becomes of Rene Bourque? Or keep McLeod and Bourque as the 13th and 14th forwards, 7 D-men and 2 net minders for a 23 man roster? I'd rather Bourque be playing over Colborne.

Are we really going to scratch the guy we just signed for close to 3m per who's only 26 after 17 games? I think the healthy scratch was more to send a message and a wake up call then a night in, night out type of thing. At least I hope so, but if he continues to dog it out there, then I guess I could see it. Bourque has been good so far this year though. I can't wait till Iggy's traded and we can get a player who actually tries out there in his spot.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This is the right thing to do. He needs to play top minutes and further develop his game and he'll get plenty of TOI down in SA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad