AHL West Part II - ADK, MAN, NOR, OKC, & WOR

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought when the Sharks' owners were granted the expansion franchise, they also acquired the Seals' half of the North Stars from when they merged in '78.
I honestly have no idea, I was just basically saying without more information on it we can't say for sure it was stupid.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I agree. That is a pet peeve of mine when sports writers and commentators refer to the team in a singular form for correct grammar. The team is made up of multiple players and it just sounds much better when the grammar is pluralized form. Maybe that is just my pet peeve....

After reading the article I see why they did it. The team is being sponsored by Barracuda Networks.....not Barracudas Networks. Corporate sponsorships are now determining AHL team names.
That is the plural form.... Barracuda is both singular and plural in nature much like you would refer to moose, deer and bigfoot.

They're called invariant nouns.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Is it true that Pacific teams will play 68 games and the rest 76 ? Because it seems so with 2015-16 tickets packages of pacific and all the other teams.

It's weird. Why not have a deal and play 72 for all of them ? It's a good number.

Last edited:

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
That is the plural form.... Barracuda is both singular and plural in nature much like you would refer to moose, deer and bigfoot.

They're called invariant nouns.

Sure it's not Bigfeet? :D

Is it true that Pacific teams will play 68 games and the reste 76 ? Because it seems so with 2015-16 tickets packages of pacific and all the other teams.

It's weird. Why not have a deal and play 72 for all of them ? It's a good number.

To me, scheduling a different number of games for teams in the same league is ridiculous.

NLPiper83

Now another logo officially made public
http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/condors-unveil-new-logo-for-ahl-in-2015-16/
7058539d-8944-4c4a-813c-ded9e8db6397.jpg

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Utica Comets
Page Liked · 49 mins · Edited ·

The Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations had something to say after attending last night's #Comets game.

11083896_450554401787477_9161369160834124768_n.jpg

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Why is it that minor league logos tend to look so cartoonish?

That said, I like the Comets logo above and think the Canucks Orca logo above looks more cartoonish

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Utica Comets
Page Liked · 49 mins · Edited ·

The Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations had something to say after attending last night's #Comets game.

11083896_450554401787477_9161369160834124768_n.jpg

Read. Between. The. Lines

In all seriousness, I'm originally from the Utica area, but since I go to school in Albany I became a Flames fan. There's been a fair number of people from back home that have gloated over the Flames moving. Apparently "GF just doesn't have the fan support of Utica." Vancouver will eventually want a slice of the pie. I don't hope anyone loses their team, but don't expect compassion from a NHL team that's 3,000 miles away.

Ahl comets

Jul 5, 2014
Read. Between. The. Lines

In all seriousness, I'm originally from the Utica area, but since I go to school in Albany I became a Flames fan. There's been a fair number of people from back home that have gloated over the Flames moving. Apparently "GF just doesn't have the fan support of Utica." Vancouver will eventually want a slice of the pie. I don't hope anyone loses their team, but don't expect compassion from a NHL team that's 3,000 miles away.

i have not heard any utica fans gloating about glens falls moving. i think everyone knew it was temporary with the way the flames operate. biggest problem i saw in glens falls was just the building needed some updates. utica knows it is just a matter of time before the canucks move on, we are not stupid. but from what i have been told the canucks must have another parent club to replace them if they leave, and im pretty sure esche will hold them to that. looks like both the rangers and devils have resigned with their current cities for two years which is probably why linden made the statement he did........

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know it's not really "west" but any word on the name the Jets AHL club will use? Will they go back to the Moose? And what about St. John's? Will they continue to be the IceCaps?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Interesting how he only promised two years....

In all previous public statements Trevor Linden and/or Jim Benning have stated that the Canucks are committed to keeping their AHL team in Utica next season but avoiding commenting on anything beyond 2015-16. When asked about the AHL Pacific Division the answer was something to the effect that they are monitoring the situation but are very happy with their partnership with the Comets. The significance of this statement is that for the first time Linden states that they will remain in Utica for more than one additional season.

Yes I know teams say one thing and do another all of the time so save me that argument. All I know is very good news for Comets fans and there is no reason for Trevor Linden to make the statement that he made unless that is his plan. He had nothing to gain from making that statement otherwise.

Utica will more than likely be in the Eastern Conference next year which will reduce their travel between games significantly allowing for more practice an advantage Linden specifically mentioned. The common theory is that Vancouver will move their farm team to Abbotsford or some other location close to Vancouver but one quick look at a map and it is obvious that they would still be isolated from their AHL rivals. Did Calgary and Edmonton move their farm teams to Alberta? No they moved to California to be closer to other AHL teams. I think Vancouver is being prudent by waiting a few years to see how the dust settles before up and leaving Utica.

They may very well find a location out west that makes sense but too many people think that Utica and the Canucks will split within the next year.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
To clarify, Devils have not renewed with the arena in Albany yet.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
In all previous public statements Trevor Linden and/or Jim Benning have stated that the Canucks are committed to keeping their AHL team in Utica next season but avoiding commenting on anything beyond 2015-16. When asked about the AHL Pacific Division the answer was something to the effect that they are monitoring the situation but are very happy with their partnership with the Comets. The significance of this statement is that for the first time Linden states that they will remain in Utica for more than one additional season.

Yes I know teams say one thing and do another all of the time so save me that argument. All I know is very good news for Comets fans and there is no reason for Trevor Linden to make the statement that he made unless that is his plan. He had nothing to gain from making that statement otherwise.

Utica will more than likely be in the Eastern Conference next year which will reduce their travel between games significantly allowing for more practice an advantage Linden specifically mentioned. The common theory is that Vancouver will move their farm team to Abbotsford or some other location close to Vancouver but one quick look at a map and it is obvious that they would still be isolated from their AHL rivals. Did Calgary and Edmonton move their farm teams to Alberta? No they moved to California to be closer to other AHL teams. I think Vancouver is being prudent by waiting a few years to see how the dust settles before up and leaving Utica.

They may very well find a location out west that makes sense but too many people think that Utica and the Canucks will split within the next year.

I don't think Vancouver can move their affiliate to the Pacific unless Arizona (or Colorado) also does. They need either 5, 7, or 8 teams to make a division. Six won't fly unless they dissolve the conferences.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I don't think Vancouver can move their affiliate to the Pacific unless Arizona (or Colorado) also does. They need either 5, 7, or 8 teams to make a division. Six won't fly unless they dissolve the conferences.

If the AHL is willing to let the Pacific Division play a different number of games than the rest of the league they will let anything the NHL teams tell them they want happen. If Vancouver wanted to join that division tomorrow the AHL would make it happen today.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
If the AHL is willing to let the Pacific Division play a different number of games than the rest of the league they will let anything the NHL teams tell them they want happen. If Vancouver wanted to join that division tomorrow the AHL would make it happen today.

True enough. Has it been confirmed that the Pacific teams are playing a shorter schedule?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

When the NHL jumps, the AHL asks; "How high?" If Vancouver wanted to move the team to Mexico City by midnight, it would be a done deal. They care not in the least how conferences will be set up.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
I don't believe it is confirmed by the league but if you look at the season ticket drives the answer is obvious.

Ah, good point. I wonder how the schedule will be structured, though. Will the Pacific teams even visit those on the East Coast, and vice versa?

When the NHL jumps, the AHL asks; "How high?" If Vancouver wanted to move the team to Mexico City by midnight, it would be a done deal. They care not in the least how conferences will be set up.

I see what you mean, but I would think at least the independent AHL owners might have some objections.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
Doesn't Matter

In this new world of the AHL being a whole owned subsidiary of the NHL, what they think, say or do doesn't matter to the NHL. After what the Ducks did to Norfolk, the plan used there will work for any NHL team that wants to buy the franchise from the independent owner they are affiliated with. So it smacks of extortion, who cares, no one in the AHL will object.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad