AHL West Part II - ADK, MAN, NOR, OKC, & WOR

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
me either.
yes I am bitter and ticked off.
remember when I used to see you by the Monarchs booster club table back in the day. Didn't get to many games this year and last year do to work and all so I am not sure if you had been back around.

The fans in Albany would rather be affiliated with the New York Rangers ECHL team, there is always the Devils AHL team for former AHL cities. Just dont expect a winning environment or playoff hockey since the Devils have only made the AHL playoffs twice in last 15 years lol.

Ahl comets

Jul 5, 2014
The fans in Albany would rather be affiliated with the New York Rangers ECHL team, there is always the Devils AHL team for former AHL cities. Just dont expect a winning environment or playoff hockey since the Devils have only made the AHL playoffs twice in last 15 years lol.
That is why the devils and Albany are perfect for each other... Neither cares about the other.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA
Rochester has been asked in the past realignments if they would switch conferences, that's why Syracuse has been the compromise to be the 2nd Western tier team in the East.

I have no idea what a "Western tier team" is, but Rochester has made very clear their desire to be in the East ever since they were split up from Syracuse in 2009.

Aside from that, I suppose the divisions don't matter much as long as they stay with a conference playoff format. There's a seperate rumor that the schedules will have teams playing everyone in their own conference but no inter-cinference play (think AAA baseball), so as long as they get the East/West split right, all is well.

Others make great points about Zeke's idea, but I'd at least swap Albany and Syracuse to put the Devils back with Bingo, the Phantoms, and the PA teams, like they were pre-2011. I think Baldwin would want to be together with Rochester and Utica, but he sure wasn't going to move West in previous years to do that.

EDIT: Here's a quick map of that. Keeps everyone except St. John's within a 5-hour drive of division opponents, which is the AHL's preferred limit for single-game road trips.

Last edited:

Ahl comets

Jul 5, 2014
I have no idea what a "Western tier team" is, but Rochester has made very clear their desire to be in the East ever since they were split up from Syracuse in 2009.

Aside from that, I suppose the divisions don't matter much as long as they stay with a conference playoff format. There's a seperate rumor that the schedules will have teams playing everyone in their own conference but no inter-cinference play (think AAA baseball), so as long as they get the East/West split right, all is well.

Others make great points about Zeke's idea, but I'd at least swap Albany and Syracuse to put the Devils back with Bingo, the Phantoms, and the PA teams, like they were pre-2011. I think Baldwin would want to be together with Rochester and Utica, but he sure wasn't going to move West in previous years to do that.

EDIT: Here's a quick map of that. Keeps everyone except St. John's within a 5-hour drive of division opponents, which is the AHL's preferred limit for single-game road trips.

i actually like that idea of putting albany with bingo and the pa teams. that leaves the other 3 ny teams with the two eastern canadian teams..... all the new englands stay together like they should, i really think thats it!!!! thus that means it will never happen..... this is the AHL........

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Hmmmmmm.......
Maybe you can try and keep the wise guy comments to yourself since Worcester isn't getting any damn level of hockey next year...

Boo hoo. I feel no sorrow for anyone whose city has lost a team. Snarky comments from many of them over the years with them being on a high horse slamming any teams not in the eastern conference and those who don't like the way the AHL is run.

I would actually prefer an ECHL team here in Chicago.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
You had one.

That wasn't Chicago, that was Hoffman Estates, 45 minutes west of Chicago. Put pne actually within the city limits or at least a northern suburb not 45 minutes away. It was almost as close to Rockford as it was Chicago!! It would be like calling the Worcester Sharks the Providence Sharks or the Boston Sharks.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Still a relatively well-off suburb region of Chicagoland, though. Didn't help that the Sears Centre is a tad cursed for teams and parking there was expensive, but I think it mostly went to show that most would've preferred to watch the Hawks on TV or attend Wolves games versus going to an ECHL team.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
Bargains, Bargains, Bargains

Come on down to Norfolk Scope Exhibtion Hall on April 2. The team will having its equipment sale. Don't worry that there are still 2 weeks left in the regular season, you can get the early jump on purchasing used equipment. Some of it has the Admirals color scheme so it is not suitable for use in San Diego.

All sales final and don't let these bargains get away from you.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Still a relatively well-off suburb region of Chicagoland, though. Didn't help that the Sears Centre is a tad cursed for teams and parking there was expensive, but I think it mostly went to show that most would've preferred to watch the Hawks on TV or attend Wolves games versus going to an ECHL team.

Not really. The arena is very far from population centers. The Sears Centre has nothing that is really attended well. Dang thing is basically in the middle of nowhere. No one went when it was Poplar Creek either.

Come on down to Norfolk Scope Exhibtion Hall on April 2. The team will having its equipment sale. Don't worry that there are still 2 weeks left in the regular season, you can get the early jump on purchasing used equipment. Some of it has the Admirals color scheme so it is not suitable for use in San Diego.

All sales final and don't let these bargains get away from you.

It will be funny to see the players playing without sticks and skates!!!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Western Tier, is SYR/ROC/BNG, Alex, but Rochester's been asked before and has voted against being flipped to the East, hence why Syracuse has been the compromise team in the East.

SeattleSharksFan

Hockey Autograph Guy
Aug 15, 2011
Seattle, WA
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet, so here goes. The author insists this is not an April Fools joke:

Exclusive: Here's the name and logo of the Sharks' minor-league farm team

barracuda_zpszgsjd4yb.jpg

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I wanted them so badly to call it the Seals, but I knew they wouldn't. Bunch of maroons.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Aw. They could at least have pluralized it.

Seals definitely would have been better. They really missed out on a great name, though: the San Jose Skates.

I agree. That is a pet peeve of mine when sports writers and commentators refer to the team in a singular form for correct grammar. The team is made up of multiple players and it just sounds much better when the grammar is pluralized form. Maybe that is just my pet peeve....

After reading the article I see why they did it. The team is being sponsored by Barracuda Networks.....not Barracudas Networks. Corporate sponsorships are now determining AHL team names.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
I agree. That is a pet peeve of mine when sports writers and commentators refer to the team in a singular form for correct grammar. The team is made up of multiple players and it just sounds much better when the grammar is pluralized form. Maybe that is just my pet peeve....

After reading the article I see why they did it. The team is being sponsored by Barracuda Networks.....not Barracudas Networks. Corporate sponsorships are now determining AHL team names.

So eventually, we'll see names like those in Japanese baseball? :shakehead

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad