AHL Stockton announces STH pricing for inagural season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh, the Memorial Cup is a separate tournament as I see it. It is not a structured playoff system within the season based on regular season standings. Heck, the host team gets in whether they deserve to or not.

I don't care enough about the CHL to get annoyed by it. :laugh:
It's not a separate tournament, it's like the NCAA Frozen 4; it's all these kids play for (you know except a shot at the NHL :laugh:)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It's not a separate tournament, it's like the NCAA Frozen 4; it's all these kids play for (you know except a shot at the NHL :laugh:)

Well, whatever...again the Frozen Four is structured so you have to earn it over the course of a season and is part of a larger tourney. I guess if you're going to simply allow a team to get a shot at the title just for being a host, a few games here and there doesn't seem like a big deal. Frozen Four doesn't do that, but anyway....

But anyhooo, back to the AHL.....

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Good to see I'm not the only person who finds the host team in the Memorial Cup ridiculous. One team knows they don't have to play well at all until the last week of the season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, whatever...again the Frozen Four is structured so you have to earn it over the course of a season and is part of a larger tourney. I guess if you're going to simply allow a team to get a shot at the title just for being a host, a few games here and there doesn't seem like a big deal. Frozen Four doesn't do that, but anyway....

But anyhooo, back to the AHL.....
I think the Host team is stupid too, but if you are going to insinuate the NCAA tournament is more of a tournament than the WHL/OHL/QMJHL playoffs and ignore the 3 teams that won several best of 7 playoff series to get there you are kidding yourself.

Another argument about the conferences/divisions having an unbalanced schedule is that it doesn't really give that much of an advantage to playing less games, because when the playoffs come it will be about winning a playoff series early and resting more so than what was played in the post season

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This shouldn't even be an argument, there is no good reason for a single division to play less games, period. You're either part of a league or you're not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This shouldn't even be an argument, there is no good reason for a single division to play less games, period. You're either part of a league or you're not.
I agree they should be the same, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you are making it out to be

Speed

Jan 7, 2004
Holden, MA
www.sharksboosters.com
Not sure if this was brought up here (sorry late to the party), but if they play unbalanced schedule how would that impact the veteran status of players - isn't it based basically on games played?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Not sure if this was brought up here (sorry late to the party), but if they play unbalanced schedule how would that impact the veteran status of players - isn't it based basically on games played?

They are NOT going to play an unbalanced schedule.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The AFC West will only play 14 games next year so they can practice more for the playoffs and be fresher.

Think about this not being a big deal.
how can you even compare an NFL schedule to a hockey schedule? Not to mention that AHL playoffs are playoff series and not single game elimination playoff games. nothing like comparing apples to oranges.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It is based on games played, so I do not know how this would be impacted and this is an excellent question.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

I think the only difference would be it'd take western players a little longer to get to the magic number. Besides, European Elite Leagues count towards vet status, and their seasons are a lot shorter.

BTW, all this wringing of hands about playoff implications, competitive balance, and any other reason not to shorten a season for the Western teams is misguided. Even I've figured out that if these guys want to do something, they'll do it regardless of impact, and my guess would be that'd go for the schedule as well. Hell, I'm worried they'll read this board, see Tommy's "ditch the games - just practice every day" rant & think "Ooooooohhh - good idea !!!!" :D

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
You don't want hockey to compete with baseball, tell baseball not to start their regular season in March and end with the World Series in November.

The games won't be trimmed back because that means trimming back revenue.

I think the Pacific teams shouldn't play any games, just practice.

Eliminate them from the Regular Season as well. No games, only practice!!!

I will call the league boss of baseball and tell him that when I meet with him on marketing strategy lol. Give me a break, I was stating my personal opinion. I dont care for hockey beyond May, in June I want to be outdoors. This winter sucks as it is, the snow & cold is epic this winter, if I enjoyed this extreme winter I would move to upper Minn, upper Mich, Buffalo, or cross the border into Ontario lol. In these parts late February is usually into the upper 30s to low 40s. This is the United States, the reality is hockey is just a niche sport, for entertainment. I love minor league hockey but baseball, football is what the majority of fans enjoy. I just dont see the issue with 35/35 games of home and away..What revenue are you talking about, very few minor league teams generate any revenue anyway lol. Unless you are filling your building to 85% capacity at the very least, your team is not making revenue. Only a handfull of AHL teams make any positive revenue, in fact most NHL owned AHL teams are used buy the organization as a write off. Utica I am sure much of their revenue is eaten up by logistical expenditure.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
how can you even compare an NFL schedule to a hockey schedule? Not to mention that AHL playoffs are playoff series and not single game elimination playoff games. nothing like comparing apples to oranges.

anyone can see I'm not comparing sports. I'm showing how silly it is to have 5 team owners suggest playing a different number of games.

of course, the AHL is so far in bed with the NHL nothing would surprise me. again, the BOG voted it down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
anyone can see I'm not comparing sports. I'm showing how silly it is to have 5 team owners suggest playing a different number of games.

of course, the AHL is so far in bed with the NHL nothing would surprise me. again, the BOG voted it down.
I said you can't compare schedules, c'mon sport at least read what you are quoting.

You are using an extremely bad example. If some NFL teams played 14 games and others played 16 that would have some teams playing 14-15% more. In the AHL if one division/conference played 72 games while the others played 76 it would only be 4-5% more games. But yeah, it's exactly the same thing :help:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I said you can't compare schedules, c'mon sport at least read what you are quoting.

You are using an extremely bad example. If some NFL teams played 14 games and others played 16 that would have some teams playing 14-15% more. In the AHL if one division/conference played 72 games while the others played 76 it would only be 4-5% more games. But yeah, it's exactly the same thing :help:

again, I'm using the example of 4 - 5 teams playing a different amount of games in the same league. not comparing sports. I think it's a bad idea for any legue under any circumstances.

Not getting into a p!ssing match over nothing. Enjoy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
again, I'm using the example of 4 - 5 teams playing a different amount of games in the same league. not comparing sports. I think it's a bad idea for any legue under any circumstances.

Not getting into a p!ssing match over nothing. Enjoy.
thee schedule for the sport matters. Just like how the NFL giving a playoff bye is acceptable but the the NHL it would be ridiculous.

Like normal you are just arguing to argue.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'd be all for reducing minor league schedules to the point where leagues ONLY had Friday and Saturday games. Its no secret most minor league teams don't make money but those are their biggest draws. Sunday games are the worst. Half the year you're up against the NFL. Sunday games look like free skates anyway.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be all for reducing minor league schedules to the point where leagues ONLY had Friday and Saturday games. Its no secret most minor league teams don't make money but those are their biggest draws. Sunday games are the worst. Half the year you're up against the NFL. Sunday games look like free skates anyway.
Agreed, except for the odd exception. A weekday game on a holiday and once or twice a year I like when teams have a "school day" game where they give tickets to all the schools.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
For comparison, here's the Gulls sheet passed out yesterday.

Gulls2015prices.jpg

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
SD seems pretty smart with the range of prices. $2,200 seems steep for AHL hockey. Could just be a cash grab.

Notice $2,210/x games= $65.

x=34 games. 4 somewhere else or a 68 game schedule??

Daily Gazette is one of the most reliable hockey media outlets in the ALbany area over the last 30 years. If there's something printed, there's something to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad