AHL Future in Binghamton

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Totally agree. If there has to be a team in that area, a place like Utica would support the team better than Albany does, even if it was the Devils farm team.

Says who? Utica has had the AHL for only 3 years, one of which was a banner season. No one has any idea what will happen once the shininess wears off and it sees some losing seasons. I mean, the old Utica Devils had a whopping 1 sellout crowd in 6 seasons (the Comets beat writer, whom I know, told me this). I know that was a different time, but it's not like support doesn't ebb and flow in most minor league cities. I don't understand the championing of Utica when there's so little hard evidence of how good it actually is (again, 3 years old), and the bashing of Albany when there's little hard evidence of how bad it actually is (over a decade of poor play from a parent club that was unconcerned about the fan experience). Circumstances is the word of the day for both cities.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Says who? Utica has had the AHL for only 3 years, one of which was a banner season. No one has any idea what will happen once the shininess wears off and it sees some losing seasons. I mean, the old Utica Devils had a whopping 1 sellout crowd in 6 seasons (the Comets beat writer, whom I know, told me this). I know that was a different time, but it's not like support doesn't ebb and flow in most minor league cities. I don't understand the championing of Utica when there's so little hard evidence of how good it actually is (again, 3 years old), and the bashing of Albany when there's little hard evidence of how bad it actually is (over a decade of poor play from a parent club that was unconcerned about the fan experience). Circumstances is the word of the day for both cities.

Devils had more than one sell out in 6 seasons. They drew well in the Thanksgiving to Xmas period. The problem back then was , the aud was a dump. the low income project housing located across the street directly behind the aud was crime ridden, and no one wanted to go down there. and no parking. Totally different era. Providence went years without a team, Syracuse went years without a team, Utica went years without a team... deal with it..things change. And the comets have had sub 500 records two of their three seasons ...

Last edited:

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Devils had more than on sell out in 6 seasons. They drew well in the Thanksgiving to Xmas period. The problem back then was , the aud was a dump. the low income project housing located across the street directly behind the aud was crime ridden, and no one wanted to go down there. and no parking. Totally different era. Providence went years without a team, Syracuse went years without a team, Utica went years without a team... deal with it..things change. And the comets have had sub 500 records two if their three seasons ...

So, Utica will never struggle? Ok, bud. It's not like gate numbers ever trailed off and fluctuated anywhere else after a few years. I'm not saying Utica is a crap market, I'm just puzzled at the notion that it's so much better than the market where I lived that I loved, especially after so little time in the league. There haven't been any bad times to weather yet. Albany being a part of the AHL doesn't make your fan experience any worse. It irks me because it comes across as a hope that the Devils high tail-it to Utica the moment the Canucks pull out. I think that you think that parent clubs care more about media attention and honeymoon sellouts more than developing their prospects in the best manner they can (you know, the reason the AHL exists anymore).

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

I can understand your viewpoint but it wasn't a decade of bad play of prospects from a bad a parent. The entire history of their attendance has been abysmal regardless of the parent club. When Carolina was the parent and the team improved, made the playoffs, the attendance was virtually unchanged.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I can understand your viewpoint but it wasn't a decade of bad play of prospects from a bad a parent. The entire history of their attendance has been abysmal regardless of the parent club. When Carolina was the parent and the team improved, made the playoffs, the attendance was virtually unchanged.

No Tommy your completely inaccurate, I have to disagree. It was atleast a decade whereby Albany fans had to endure playoffless hockey, probably more then any other fanbase in AHL history. The team under Carolina made the playoffs what, maybe once and the play wasn't that great either. Entire history phrase is way embellished. From 1993 through the the rest of the decade the team drew respectfully, and in 1995 to 1996 drew 6101 fans per game which is better then the AHL standard average today, followed by few seasons of 5000, then few more seasons of 4000. By that time the teams were a neglected after thought, there were two well established NCAA DI hockey teams in the area, then not to mention two NCAA mid major DI basketball programs calling Albany home. The fan base had enough of being neglected and there is too much other competition for Albany's dollar to be neglected. Utica, no other real competition for the entertainment dollar, nothing going on in that town. Binghamton, what SUNY Binghamton going DI, they haven't even caught up to the standards the University at Albany as accomplished. The only thing abysmal about Albany was its hockey teams in the first decade of 2000s, and the first few years of the Devils return. Hopefully the new brass can change the perception of AHL hockey in Albany, and get back to developmental winning again, that's what Albany needs, not the Lou philosiphy of "we're not in Albany to build Calder Cup champions, we are here to develop our future for the NHL level". Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, even you lol to lol but I don't share yours and it's my opinion that your embellishing and distorting the facts of circumstances.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Well Night I don't know what brought on that immature post. You stated the merits of the capital region, you have slammed bing and utica . I simply stated the same type of facts you did about your former region of things that are happening around here that are finally positive as you did about the the capital region. But your immature post was not only necessary but shoots any credibility you have as a poster. You have shown to be an idiot.
When you made the Albany region out to be Utopia no one made the same unnecessary post you did.

No, Smallbany is no utopia but certainly well ahead of Utica or Binghamton NY. Maybe the folks in Smallbany are at least sophisticated enough to realize when the AHL hockey being put on display before them doesn't warrant their support. When the hockey product is decent and on a competetive level they would support the product better, if not then they will continue to better support the nearby two DI hockey teams (one was a recent national champion) all within twenty minutes away, perhaps enjoy either one of the two nearby DI basketball teams both within the City of Smallbany. As far as your support, your special nod, or any so called credibility from you means very little as I am not trying to earn your endorsement nor do I need it lol. This is an open forum of opinions, assumptions, and speculations for fun and often time a majority of the posts offer little facts and overlook certain circumstances. It's often sadly a platform for individuals like yourself to make digs at others, other hockey markets, and drop below board throwing a personally directed insult. Believe me I am not looking towards you for any praise or affirmation.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Most cities that have AHL teams see attendance go up and down. Maybe Albany just needs a break for a couple years. Look at Hartford, they are pulling in just a few more fans than Albany. I think in these big cities these AHL teams sometimes just get lost in the shuffle. Albany had an outstanding team last season and attendance did not improve... that is not a good sign. It is what it is , that building provides no atmosphere what so ever. I have no clue what the devils are doing to promote their team, but the comets are all over the place. They do a ton of appearances, they post almost daily on social media including Facebook, Twitter,periscope. They gave tied themselves to the community and also to the old Clinton Comets teams from the 60s. Several Ex comet players are season ticket holders, and these players have been honored by the current comets team. They do and outstanding job... that is how you build and maintain a fan base... it's also the reason the comets sell out every game.......people are always looking for tickets no matter how good or poorly the team is playing. The game experience is outstanding, multiple opposing players and coaches have commented on the atmosphere in the building and how involved and loud the fan base is. Even the weeknight games bring that same atmosphere. .. I do not see this support going away any time soon, if it does then Utica does not deserve a team.... Albany's support has been gone for 10 plus seasons from what I can see.........

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Only time Albany supported their ahl team was when the devils won the Calder cup in 94-95. Other than those 3-4 seasons the city has not supported their team. So I guess the same can be said about Albany, they will only support a winning team... but having 500-800 fans at a game and claiming Albany is a better AHL city than Bingo or Utica is pretty pathetic.... the first 3 seasons with the islanders, the were even worse attendance, under 3,000 all three seasons....

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Only time Albany supported their ahl team was when the devils won the Calder cup in 94-95. Other than those 3-4 seasons the city has not supported their team. So I guess the same can be said about Albany, they will only support a winning team... but having 500-800 fans at a game and claiming Albany is a better AHL city than Bingo or Utica is pretty pathetic....

Dude, just stop. If you want to look at the gate numbers, don't do it in a vacuum.

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/albany-river-rats-4604.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/albany-devils-10348.html

If you take the time to look, they supported the Rats just fine during the 90s after their CC win. Unless 4000+ isn't good enough for you (Utica can't even fit that). Now, look what happened on ice after the 90s. Missed playoffs for 7 of 10 seasons for the Rats, followed by 4 of 6 for the Devils. You think seeing 5 postseasons in 16 years is acceptable? An NHL team in the US would see support wane if that happened. The team was neglected by the parent club. Albany isn't a paradise by any means, but there are other things you can do if you don't want to watch crappy hockey.

Again, Utica has had no bad times to put up with. Three years, that's it. Their 1st year: ownership pulled out all the stops, second year: banner season, third year: competitive and the honeymoon is still going on. Give Utica 5 playoffs in 16 years and then talk. To look down on another city for voting with their wallet while yours is still fresh and new is incredibly arrogant.

The Canucks are leaving at some point, sooner than later. Instead of talking crap about your neighbors and coveting their stuff, why don't you just enjoy your team while it's there and stop worrying about who should replace it. You got the AHL by accident in the first place anyway.

EDIT: that Islanders team wasn't in Albany. It was in a tiny building in Troy. Then they built a new building in a better location and the Devils wanted in. It was going great until Lou stopped caring.

I think claiming Utica is God's gift to the AHL isn't much less pathetic. Three. Years.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Dude, just stop. If you want to look at the gate numbers, don't do it in a vacuum.

If you take the time to look, they supported the Rats just fine during the 90s after their CC win. Unless 4000+ isn't good enough for you (Utica can't even fit that). Now, look what happened on ice after the 90s. Missed playoffs for 7 of 10 seasons for the Rats, followed by 4 of 6 for the Devils. You think seeing 5 postseasons in 16 years is acceptable? An NHL team in the US would see support wane if that happened. The team was neglected by the parent club. Albany isn't a paradise by any means, but there are other things you can do if you don't want to watch crappy hockey.

Again, Utica has had no bad times to put up with. Three years, that's it. Their 1st year: ownership pulled out all the stops, second year: banner season, third year: competitive and the honeymoon is still going on. Give Utica 5 playoffs in 16 years and then talk. To look down on another city for voting with their wallet while yours is still fresh and new is incredibly arrogant.

The Canucks are leaving at some point, sooner than later. Instead of talking crap about your neighbors and coveting their stuff, why don't you just enjoy your team while it's there and stop worrying about who should replace it. You got the AHL by accident in the first place anyway.

EDIT: that Islanders team wasn't in Albany. It was in a tiny building in Troy. Then they built a new building in a better location and the Devils wanted in. It was going great until Lou stopped caring.

I think claiming Utica is God's gift to the AHL isn't much less pathetic. Three. Years.

I don't recall anyone saying Utica was gods gift to hockey. Esche just knows how to run and promote a team. And I doubt anyone replaces the comets... this thread is about Binghamton replacement not Utica

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
agree

Crap hockey has killed the Sens here as well. They missed the playoffs 5 straight years, won the cup missed them again, made it twice in a row, won one lousy game and missed 2 more in a row. Attendence here sucks, should be better. The one poster saying nothing goes on here is right. Hockey is the only thing to really do here in the winter. Combination of crap teams here for so long, poor marketing has killed attendance here. I do feel the team is trying to market better, we will see how that affects this years numbers. The team also failed to really capitalize on the cup win and the poor marketing effort combined with a team last in the league , numbers did not increase following the cup win.

Ralph Slate

Feb 16, 2007

A historical correction here: The Capital District Islanders were indeed in the Houston Fieldhouse at RPI in Troy - a building that seats about 4,800 people (i.e. not tiny). They started there in 1990-91. The Houston Fieldhouse was not up to pro standards, but it was a good-sized building, heated (most college rinks at the time were not), and had several concessions areas and plenty of parking. They did not draw well, in my opinion, because they were marketed (and named as) the Islanders farm team, which alienated many Rangers and Devils fans in the area, and also because they competed for attention with the RPI Engineers Division 1 hockey team (Union had only recently become Division 1, and was winning less than 15% of its D1 games)

The building that was built as the Knickerbocker Arena, later known as the Pepsi Arena, now the Times-Union Center, was also opened in 1990-91, and housed the Albany Choppers of the IHL. The Choppers were a dismal failure, folding mid-year, with announced attendances far higher than actual fans in the building (I remember one reporter counting just 75 people in the building one night).

The CD Islanders weren't much better, because any existing pro fans in that area supported the Adirondack Red Wings, 45 minutes to the north in Glens Falls, and other hockey fans supported RPI, which would typically get 4,500 per game, with some games selling out. CDI averaged just around 2,000 per game in its final two seasons.

The CD Islanders played three seasons in Troy before moving to into the Knickerbocker arena in Albany, grabbing the Devils affiliation from Utica in the process. They debuted with a highly touted logo which transformed minor league hockey from a marketing standpoint. They were considered moderately successful at the time - you have to remember, 1991-92 was a very typical AHL attendance year, with the median team (Maine) averaging 3,828. This was before the Providence Bruins and the Philadelphia Phantoms, and before Hershey got their new arena. 3,000 fans was considered a viable operation in those days, so when the River Rats came in at 3,751, that was a big deal.

One other thing to remember when comparing attendance - it is heavily dependent on ticket sale promotions, so it is difficult to compare apples to oranges and use the reported numbers as a proxy for viability. A $8 ticket is counted the same as a $22 ticket. I don't know if free tickets are counted toward attendance, but I think they must be since Providence offers Buy One, Get One Free nights and they have high attendances reported.

Also, there is one other city that outdid Albany for on-ice futility: Springfield missed the playoffs for 11 out of 12 seasons, with that one season only being due to a qualification round being introduced. Several seasons had "official" winning percentages under .400 - with "true" winning percentages even worse - the 2004-05 Springfield Falcons spent the period from January to the end of the season under .300, mostly in the .275 range. It was such a bad run that when the Falcons finally made the playoffs in 2012-13, the front office staff had no idea what to even do to get tickets sold - it had been nine years since the team had made the playoffs.

As a hockey fan and season ticket holder, I can tell you that even I don't go out of my way to attend games when the team is that bad during a season, and I know that as those seasons mount, people stop buying season tickets because they realize that they aren't getting their money's worth when they don't go to over half the games.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

The islanders played in the RPI field house on the campus of RPI. It seated over 5,000 at that time. My experience is that these college arenas are immaculate buildings very nicely done.....

Ralph Slate

Feb 16, 2007
The islanders played in the RPI field house on the campus of RPI. It seated over 5,000 at that time. My experience is that these college arenas are immaculate buildings very nicely done.....

The building is good for college hockey, but mediocre by AHL standards. No real amenities, no way to walk around between periods (there are only seats on three sides, so you can't walk all the way around in a circle).

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
No Tommy your completely inaccurate, I have to disagree. It was atleast a decade whereby Albany fans had to endure playoffless hockey, probably more then any other fanbase in AHL history. The team under Carolina made the playoffs what, maybe once and the play wasn't that great either. Entire history phrase is way embellished. From 1993 through the the rest of the decade the team drew respectfully, and in 1995 to 1996 drew 6101 fans per game which is better then the AHL standard average today, followed by few seasons of 5000, then few more seasons of 4000. By that time the teams were a neglected after thought, there were two well established NCAA DI hockey teams in the area, then not to mention two NCAA mid major DI basketball programs calling Albany home. The fan base had enough of being neglected and there is too much other competition for Albany's dollar to be neglected. Utica, no other real competition for the entertainment dollar, nothing going on in that town. Binghamton, what SUNY Binghamton going DI, they haven't even caught up to the standards the University at Albany as accomplished. The only thing abysmal about Albany was its hockey teams in the first decade of 2000s, and the first few years of the Devils return. Hopefully the new brass can change the perception of AHL hockey in Albany, and get back to developmental winning again, that's what Albany needs, not the Lou philosiphy of "we're not in Albany to build Calder Cup champions, we are here to develop our future for the NHL level". Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, even you lol to lol but I don't share yours and it's my opinion that your embellishing and distorting the facts of circumstances.

So, the first years the Rats won a Calder Cup and made the playoffs and only 4,000 people went to each game. To gauge whether that was good you need to look at a couple of things, including arena capacity. The arena in Albany wasn't even half full. Their only good years were on each side of their championship.

When they were affiliated with Carolina, they made the playoffs in their first year and attendance dropped. Second year they made the layoffs again and attendance dropped again. The third year they missed the playoffs and attendance dropped again. The 4th year they made the playoffs and attendance increased but not even back to the level they were before they missed the playoffs.

And finally, two out of the last three year they have made the playoffs and their attendance is still lower than it was after Carolina took it over.

Albany fans just do not come out for the AHL team regardless of their record or them making the playoffs.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
I find it curious that the only context in which people who saying Albany ought to be the next longtime AHL market to go down the tubes is in connection with the eventual (but no less unfortunate) demise of Binghamton and Utica. Folks there are basically saying that they're too good for the ECHL, so let's look around and see who we can poach -- hey, everybody hates Albany, right? Yeah, let's dump on them! :rolleyes:

What I mean by this is that there have been absolutely no rumblings (AFAIK) that the Devils are unhappy in Albany or that the arena management wants the Devils out. (Although, if the Rangers suddenly became available, I'm sure the TU Center would at least look into bringing them in.) Geographically, Albany is fairly convenient to Newark. Any suggestions that the Devils will pull a San Jose and run their AHL team out of the Prudential Center are either misinformed or simply not serious. Nobody is suggesting that the Devils take another shot at Trenton or Atlantic City. It's been forever since I've heard anyone suggest that the Devils involve themselves in whatever the Rangers and Islanders are cooking up down in Connecticut and Long Island. The only noise that Albany's days may be numbered is attached to the idea that they would be a convenient replacement for Binghamton or Utica.

In other words, consider your sources.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
Oh, and to expand on something zetastrike said: We're not just talking about a string of missed playoff appearances for Albany. For most of that stretch in the late '90s and the 2000s, they were the worst team in the league or pretty darn close to it. To anyone looking at just the attendance numbers and saying that Albany deserves to go away, let me ask you this: How well would YOUR city have fared under such circumstances? Would you even have a team still?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The building is good for college hockey, but mediocre by AHL standards. No real amenities, no way to walk around between periods (there are only seats on three sides, so you can't walk all the way around in a circle).

Utica and Syracuse have the same setup. But both added limited seating on the one end, but you still can not walk around the building.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I find this thread to absolutely absurd because it's based mostly on a few people who clearly have disdain for Albany. We all know Albany doesn't draw better then it should, but the fact Albany can draw over 3000 all these years after years of much instability is a solid sign things can improve. Unlike Utica or Binghamton Albany has a building with lots of room to grow a base, not to mention on the verge of a major overhaul in addition to the building of an attached convention center.

Someone made comments about only 500 to 800 fans only attending games, that's an absolute farce. A farce that was spread by no other then a Utica newspaper beat writer who made a tweet an hour before puck drop during the playoffs suggesting the crowd was very sparse tonight (it was during early warm ups) as there must only be just under 1000 people in the stands. Guess what, by the time fans got into their seats and the game was well underway the attendance reported from the Albany paper and teem tweets reported a nice crowd of around 5000. Maybe fans in Utica don't work, they can come early and watch warm ups for whatever reason lol or drool over hockey players lol.

Another substance lacking argument is the fact Albany's arena was just way overbuilt. A building that size shouldn't be in a city of about 100,000 people. Albany County's population of around 300,000 is much less then Monroe, Erie, and Onondaga counties so what in the world were planners thinking when they built an arena that size. My understanding of the original plans for an Albany County arena were to build an arena with around 7,500 seats but political corruption got its dirty hands on the project. Since the arrival of the River Rats the arena anticipated that the lower bowl was sufficient for minor league sports of any level (6500) so like many larger arenas utilized a curtailing system. They did it in Philly for the Phantoms, they did it in Hamilton, they did it in Worcester, and they still do in Hartorfd. Just because an AHL market has an oversized arena hosting an AHL team does not factor in whether or not the arena and city are less deserving of the team. The location, facilties, and the numbers are all contributing factors. Albany and the Devils organization keep finding ways to make the deals and work together, a few disgruntled fans from nearby smaller markets with smaller aging buildings and obviously not much else going on to occupy their time don't make the decisions as to if or when Albany ends its AHL tenure lol. To Zeta, Rowdy, and the few Albany fans who visit this site just keep doing what you do, support the team and enjoy the hockey and the nice arena in the fine upstate Capital City of Albany. good things are happening up in Albany NY, and much better things will happen once those liberal politicians and Governor from NYC gets voted out of office!!!!

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I find this thread to absolutely absurd because it's based mostly on a few people who clearly have disdain for Albany. We all know Albany doesn't draw better then it should, but the fact Albany can draw over 3000 all these years after years of much instability is a solid sign things can improve. Unlike Utica or Binghamton Albany has a building with lots of room to grow a base, not to mention on the verge of a major overhaul in addition to the building of an attached convention center.

Someone made comments about only 500 to 800 fans only attending games, that's an absolute farce. A farce that was spread by no other then a Utica newspaper beat writer who made a tweet an hour before puck drop during the playoffs suggesting the crowd was very sparse tonight (it was during early warm ups) as there must only be just under 1000 people in the stands. Guess what, by the time fans got into their seats and the game was well underway the attendance reported from the Albany paper and teem tweets reported a nice crowd of around 5000. Maybe fans in Utica don't work, they can come early and watch warm ups for whatever reason lol or drool over hockey players lol.

Another substance lacking argument is the fact Albany's arena was just way overbuilt. A building that size shouldn't be in a city of about 100,000 people. Albany County's population of around 300,000 is much less then Monroe, Erie, and Onondaga counties so what in the world were planners thinking when they built an arena that size. My understanding of the original plans for an Albany County arena were to build an arena with around 7,500 seats but political corruption got its dirty hands on the project. Since the arrival of the River Rats the arena anticipated that the lower bowl was sufficient for minor league sports of any level (6500) so like many larger arenas utilized a curtailing system. They did it in Philly for the Phantoms, they did it in Hamilton, they did it in Worcester, and they still do in Hartorfd. Just because an AHL market has an oversized arena hosting an AHL team does not factor in whether or not the arena and city are less deserving of the team. The location, facilties, and the numbers are all contributing factors. Albany and the Devils organization keep finding ways to make the deals and work together, a few disgruntled fans from nearby smaller markets with smaller aging buildings and obviously not much else going on to occupy their time don't make the decisions as to if or when Albany ends its AHL tenure lol. To Zeta, Rowdy, and the few Albany fans who visit this site just keep doing what you do, support the team and enjoy the hockey and the nice arena in the fine upstate Capital City of Albany. good things are happening up in Albany NY, and much better things will happen once those liberal politicians and Governor from NYC gets voted out of office!!!!

no one is saying anything about the building, everyone knows it was overbuilt with dreams of getting a nba team or hosting college bb tourneys. it is what it is. i think more of a problem is where it was built. have not been there in years , but i recall it is located near the capital and government buildings and museum. not much for restaurants or bars around it when i went. the team announces 3,000 plus a game, but several opposing teams fans have noted sparse crowds far below the announced attendance. and yes there have been crowds of under 1,000. that is not an isolated incident where tweets and facebook posts note empty seats. do to limited tickets at home games,Utica fans travel to a lot of the away games on weekends, you know those saturday 5pm and sunday 3 pm starts are pretty nice for opposing fans to show up to... it is what it is, but i could see the ranger farm team sparking interest, the question is would it spark enough interest to pay the rangers lofty affiliation fees.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Oh, and to expand on something zetastrike said: We're not just talking about a string of missed playoff appearances for Albany. For most of that stretch in the late '90s and the 2000s, they were the worst team in the league or pretty darn close to it. To anyone looking at just the attendance numbers and saying that Albany deserves to go away, let me ask you this: How well would YOUR city have fared under such circumstances? Would you even have a team still?

See Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I have been to all three cities and have pro's and con's on all of them. But the biggest memory I have, is when the Johnstown Jets played the Broome Dusters the last home game during their first season in the NAHL. The crowd was into the game and were friendly to the fans that came up from Johnstown.
When the game ended, the crowd was on their feet cheering their team on. In a few minutes the players came back out on the ice and skated around the rink and shook the people's hands and gave their sticks away. This lasted for some time. Our fans were impressed then and we knew that hockey would do well in Binghamton. Vis.ited many times in the mid-70's - our last championship was when we swept the Dusters in the finals in 74-75

Remember one thing. This is out of most peoples control - it has nothing to do with what city has better fans or a better arena etc. It is the higher ups who make the decisions and have the big $$$$.
In Johnstown, we lost the Chiefs and will never have another minor pro team. Our city can not support one.

Enjoy your team while you have them and here's hoping you keep them.

P.S. I loved the River Rat name, wish they would bring that back.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Did some homework on Albanys record. went back to 2000.
year record points playoff attendance
00-01 30-40 70 yes 3615
01-02 14-42 52 no 3867
02-03 25-37 68 no 3726
03-04 21-39 62 no 3454
04-05 29-38 71 no 3703
05-06 25-48 57 no 4025
06-07 37-36 81 yes 3966
07-08 43-30 93 yes 3940
08-09 33-40 73 no 3539
09-10 43-29 94 yes 3751
10-11 32-42 70 no 3114
11-12 31-34 73 no 3435
12-13 31-32 75 no 3860
13-14 40-23 93 yes 3360
14-15 37-28 85 no 3323
15-16 46-20 102 yes 3366

the team had a horrible stretch back in 01-02 thru 05-06, but since then has been above .500 most seasons, with the odd rebuild year mixed in, same as all other AHL teams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad