AHL Future in Binghamton

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
This successful way to help offset some of that backlash if it is NJ is to NOT name the team binghamton devils. Instead, if it's not the Rangers coming back than I think the ownership group should go with an unaffiliated name. Maybe go back to the original team name: the dusters. This could offset some of the bias and keep the name neutral for any potential future affiliate changes...

Not gonna happen. Except for a brief sojourn as the River Rats (Did they own that team or was it locally owned?), the Devils have always called their affiliates the Devils. That way, when the team inevitably fails because the parent franchise declines to put a dime's worth of effort into supporting the market and growing the fanbase and the Devils yank the team once attendance goes below the out-clause number, they can just recycle a lot of the merchandise.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Albany ain't losing the Devils anytime soon, pure speculation and guessing as they just signed a new three year deal in Albany. Albany isn't going to lose a team to Binghamton or Utica. Albany already is well established college hockey market which puts 10,000 in the building when Union or RPI plays. Albany is already a solid college basketball market, and supports their local minor league baseball team as well. I am quite sure the Devils get the best deal in the AHL to stay in Albany and if their future builds upon last year's success things will get better in a market like Albany's.

http://news10.com/2016/04/04/albany-devils-to-stay-at-tu-center-through-2018-2019-season/

Giuseppe Franco

Jun 1, 2008
This successful way to help offset some of that backlash if it is NJ is to NOT name the team binghamton devils. Instead, if it's not the Rangers coming back than I think the ownership group should go with an unaffiliated name. Maybe go back to the original team name: the dusters. This could offset some of the bias and keep the name neutral for any potential future affiliate changes...

I used to live near Albany and found it difficult to support them when they changed from the Rats to the Devils. Same goes with my Ranger fan friend I usually went with. We just couldn't support them and ended up just going to games against Bridgeport and Hartford.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I used to live near Albany and found it difficult to support them when they changed from the Rats to the Devils. Same goes with my Ranger fan friend I usually went with. We just couldn't support them and ended up just going to games against Bridgeport and Hartford.

No doubt the Rangers would be the best fit for Albany NY. The proximity to MSG, keeping it New York, and the Capital Region in and around Albany NY is Rangers, Islanders, Yankees, Giants, Mets, Knicks, and Jets country..... A NY Rangers top developmental minor league team in Albany would do very well IMO. I bet that team would draw at least 5000 or almost double their average of what they have now if affiliated with the Rangers. I think their average with the Devils will improve with the new organization however but I think the Rangers farmhands in Albany would silence the Albany haters lol.

Giuseppe Franco

Jun 1, 2008
No doubt the Rangers would be the best fit for Albany NY. The proximity to MSG, keeping it New York, and the Capital Region in and around Albany NY is Rangers, Islanders, Yankees, Giants, Mets, Knicks, and Jets country..... A NY Rangers top developmental minor league team in Albany would do very well IMO. I bet that team would draw at least 5000 or almost double their average of what they have now if affiliated with the Rangers. I think their average with the Devils will improve with the new organization however but I think the Rangers farmhands in Albany would silence the Albany haters lol.

Albany is kind of a weird place as far as sports loyalties go. I'd say most fans there root for NYC-based teams but there's a large amount of people who root for Boston and Buffalo teams as well. As far as a Rangers team in Albany, I agree they'd do well. I'd guess they'd average at least 1000 more per game. Hate to say it, but it'd be the best case scenario for the city.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Albany ain't losing the Devils anytime soon, pure speculation and guessing as they just signed a new three year deal in Albany. Albany isn't going to lose a team to Binghamton or Utica. Albany already is well established college hockey market which puts 10,000 in the building when Union or RPI plays. Albany is already a solid college basketball market, and supports their local minor league baseball team as well. I am quite sure the Devils get the best deal in the AHL to stay in Albany and if their future builds upon last year's success things will get better in a market like Albany's.

http://news10.com/2016/04/04/albany-devils-to-stay-at-tu-center-through-2018-2019-season/

So 10,000 show up for division 1 college hockey and maybe 2,000 for AHL hockey?? Sounds like the fans have decided that AHL hockey is not worth their time or money.....

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Don't understand why he is using college fans, more than half the fans at any college game are the student body and alumni who never go to games anyway other than that schools......

I don't understand why you fault Albany so much for not supporting what has been a terrible NJ farm system from 2000 until this year. If you were involved with the U-Devils or Lowell Devils, then you'd know. It hasn't been worth their time and money. Maybe there's higher standards. I don't think there's 10,000 students going to DI hockey games lol. Albany isn't apathetic towards hockey. It has a much better shot at keeping the AHL than Utica, I'm sorry. If the Comets are doing as well as you suggest, then it can only go down from where they are now. Imagine an affiliation change with a less concerned parent club/missed playoffs for a string of years. The Devils can easily get 4,000 a game if they fix the bridges they've burned.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Don't understand why he is using college fans, more than half the fans at any college game are the student body and alumni who never go to games anyway other than that schools......

I can tell you from first hand experience that at worse the rpi games are at least 60% not student body. There re more community hockey fans at those games than ANY of the Devils games I have been at.

The point stands that there are many hockey alternatives in Albany that are a more enjoyable atmosphere and are cheaper, which I'm sure is part of what hurts the Devils there...

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

I think your making assumptions based on D-3 hockey or the Utica College team. That team couldn't compete with a team like Union University out of the Albany suburb of Schenectady. Union's National Champs few years back produced without a doubt one of the NHL's best up and coming defenseman. They were an exciting team to watch. Their home rink only seats 2000 so when they play over at RPI or over in Albany's arena fans flock to see them. They had a few solid seasons whereby they probably could have competed with the poorer performing Devils AHL squads of few years back. You gotta remember that DI college hockey is now responsible for developing around 30% of the NHL's players. The jury's is still out on Utica whether or not it's fans will be as loyal three or five years later after their novelty three year period should the product suffer some poor seasons. Albany in their defense deserves a good competetive run. Last season was a good start for their fans.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I don't understand why you fault Albany so much for not supporting what has been a terrible NJ farm system from 2000 until this year. If you were involved with the U-Devils or Lowell Devils, then you'd know. It hasn't been worth their time and money. Maybe there's higher standards. I don't think there's 10,000 students going to DI hockey games lol. Albany isn't apathetic towards hockey. It has a much better shot at keeping the AHL than Utica, I'm sorry. If the Comets are doing as well as you suggest, then it can only go down from where they are now. Imagine an affiliation change with a less concerned parent club/missed playoffs for a string of years. The Devils can easily get 4,000 a game if they fix the bridges they've burned.

I think the Devils are making a good faith attempt at rebuilding those bridges. Fans disgruntled over the River Rats name change need to bury the past unfortunately. I love the River Rats Hockey brand myself to, but I love any organization that would want to establish their AHL team in my home city just a bit more. For Albany fans having the new organizational structure and ownership group committed to rebuilding the AHL foundation of NHL success right in Albany is a good thing for local fans. The fans wanting the Rangers in Albany need to at least show some Devils support because the timing for Albany and the Rangers just isn't there. What good would Ranger hockey in Albany would be if the team stinks, and why risk losing such good faith efforts on behalf of the Devils to reastablish Albany once again as a well known location of NHL development like it was in the past??? Utica or Binghampton have no room for growth, none. They are dead towns, aging towns losing population and talented young people like most upstate cities. Utica is even riding Albany's coat tails in the Nano Tech sector trying to get just a piece of what Albany has done. Hotels, building's, theater expansions, downtown residential growth is happening in Albany, not in Utica or Broome County. Down the road that can only have a potential positive impact on attendance for Albany. Never lose sight of the fact Albany doesn't need the AHL lol, it's only one of many things for the market to enjoy. Utica or Binghamton need the AHL, those towns cling to the AHL. Even Reg Dunlop would say ohh those poor folks up in Utica or Binghamton, they gotta have something to do lol.... No sweat ZetaStrike, I think both Albany and Glen's Falls will be okay.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

Yeah. Right. No contract or lease has ever been broken in order to sell or move a team. :sarcasm:

Sorry to rain on your parade but they didn't support the team any better when they were affiliated with Carolina after NJ left after the 05-06 season.

So where were all these fans from 2006/2007 through the 2009/2010 season??

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Yeah. Right. No contract or lease has ever been broken in order to sell or move a team. :sarcasm:

Sorry to rain on your parade but they didn't support the team any better when they were affiliated with Carolina after NJ left after the 05-06 season.

So where were all these fans from 2006/2007 through the 2009/2010 season??

Why the hostility towards Albany? Springfield, Portland, and Worschester didn't do much better at the gate, yet the Northeastern-AHL faithful seemed upset when they relocated. There's displeasure about losing Bingo. It's like a number of posters here just want Albany out of the picture, and I really can't figure out why. They're not the only NE team that doesn't sell out their building every night. They've had a bad product for much of the past 15 years.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Why the hostility towards Albany? Springfield, Portland, and Worschester didn't do much better at the gate, yet the Northeastern-AHL faithful seemed upset when they relocated. There's displeasure about losing Bingo. It's like a number of posters here just want Albany out of the picture, and I really can't figure out why. They're not the only NE team that doesn't sell out their building every night. They've had a bad product for much of the past 15 years.

No hostility, facts. And it isn't selling out the building, its fannies in the seats. Albany has been lower than almost everyone in fannies in the seats and if you looked at percent of capacity I would venture to say they would always be the lowest considering how many the arena seats compared to the other venues you mention.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think your making assumptions based on D-3 hockey or the Utica College team. That team couldn't compete with a team like Union University out of the Albany suburb of Schenectady. Union's National Champs few years back produced without a doubt one of the NHL's best up and coming defenseman. They were an exciting team to watch. Their home rink only seats 2000 so when they play over at RPI or over in Albany's arena fans flock to see them. They had a few solid seasons whereby they probably could have competed with the poorer performing Devils AHL squads of few years back. You gotta remember that DI college hockey is now responsible for developing around 30% of the NHL's players. The jury's is still out on Utica whether or not it's fans will be as loyal three or five years later after their novelty three year period should the product suffer some poor seasons. Albany in their defense deserves a good competetive run. Last season was a good start for their fans.

Actually I have been to about 3 Utica college games in my life . We have a division 1 team in Colgate university.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Man night squad your last post almost makes me can't wait when the news comes out.
I can't speak for Utica but perhaps you didn't hear the Binghamton region won 500 million NYS hunger games money. Stuffs happening here finally.
In fact just today Dicks sporting goods announced thier breaking ground next week on a 100 million dollar distribution center here in Binghsmtin.
There is a huge downtown resurgence here, the university is growing.
It's not doom and gloom you paint.
And no we don't cling to the ahl like lifeless losers.
If the team left life would go on and we would move on.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Man night squad your last post almost makes me can't wait when the news comes out.
I can't speak for Utica but perhaps you didn't hear the Binghamton region won 500 million NYS hunger games money. Stuffs happening here finally.
In fact just today Dicks sporting goods announced thier breaking ground next week on a 100 million dollar distribution center here in Binghsmtin.

Plus we are hosting the NYSHS basketball Championships for the next 3 years at The Arena. (Along with the University upgrading to Division I hockey.)

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Wow, well hokus pokus on me, shucks..... Guess the SoTier of Upstate NY is looking up these days. I am gosh darn gonna beg my boss for business trip that way, and maybe I can convince my Mrs. That cancelling our southern vacation in favor of Binghamton is the way to go. I am glad the tide is turning for you folks up yonder, I can feel the progress and a boomtown in the making...

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
No hostility, facts. And it isn't selling out the building, its fannies in the seats. Albany has been lower than almost everyone in fannies in the seats and if you looked at percent of capacity I would venture to say they would always be the lowest considering how many the arena seats compared to the other venues you mention.

Albany's arena was supposed to seat 7,500. The political figure who pushed through the arena construction and his "good" friend who was the architect actually was tried and convicted of federal crimes and corruption. Just because the building seats 13K and change for hockey and much more for other events doesn't mean the building was appropriate for the market. The below board County Executive told the public and other political leaders that he had had it on good word that the Quebec Nordiques or possibly an NBA team was to relocate therefore the arena's size needed to almost double. You have to bear in mind before 1990 Albany had no other public arena within the city of Albany itself. There was only the 4000 seat Houston Fieldhouse in nearby Troy, and the Glen's Falls arena (seats 4500) about an hour north near Lake George NY. The arena business was new for Albany then, and even today's political leaders say the arena was more of a building then what was required for minor league sports such as the NHL and even mid major college basketball which calls the arena home.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

I think people realize that the city, media and fans other than the few loyal die hards have totally abandoned this team. Why would or should the devils stay when there have been reports of Ahl games with 500-800 fans in the building. There are other cities that will support the team better. all you talk about is how great Albany is, and talk down other cities. Everyone at this point knows AHL teams are hard to come by. It simply makes more sense to put teams in cities where they will get fan support and attention.

Last edited:

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Well Night I don't know what brought on that immature post. You stated the merits of the capital region, you have slammed bing and utica . I simply stated the same type of facts you did about your former region of things that are happening around here that are finally positive as you did about the the capital region. But your immature post was not only necessary but shoots any credibility you have as a poster. You have shown to be an idiot.
When you made the Albany region out to be Utopia no one made the same unnecessary post you did.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I think people realize that the city, media and fans other than the few loyal die hards have totally abandoned this team. Why would or should the devils stay when there have been reports of Ahl games with 500-800 fans in the building. There are other cities that will support the team better. all you talk about is how great Albany is, and talk down other cities. Everyone at this point knows AHL teams are hard to come by. It simply makes more sense to put teams in cities where they will get fan support and attention.

Totally agree. If there has to be a team in that area, a place like Utica would support the team better than Albany does, even if it was the Devils farm team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad