AHL Future in Binghamton

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I would appreciate it if those in the know would share any information they have on the league's future in Binghamton.

By now we know the b-sens are moving after this season, but the league and city have an agreement to have a team in the city for the next few years. I have heard of Albany, Hartford, and Utica as potential teams that may relocate to Binghamton.

Any substance to those rumors?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I've never heard of an agreement like this between a league and a city. It will be interesting to see who goes there.

Maybe if they change their name back to Broome Dusters they'll be more attractive to an NHL organization.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Read where? Another hockey blog? Men's room wall?

FACTS!

Well it was said by wildcat48.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=120535931&postcount=11

The way its understood is the Senators will purchase the AHL franchise from Tom Mitchell and relocate to Belleville for the 2017-'18 season. The Albany Devils will relocate to Binghamton with Mitchell acting as manager of the organization. The Canucks have plan in place to move its team west. I've heard Pacific Coliseum in the first choice, but they are looking at Abbotsford, Victoria and another un-named city in BC.... St. John's will relocate to Laval. Whether another team relocates to Albany or Utica remains to be seen. I've heard yes that's its a possibility and I've heard that the ECHL is likely option for both cities.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I would appreciate it if those in the know would share any information they have on the league's future in Binghamton.

By now we know the b-sens are moving after this season, but the league and city have an agreement to have a team in the city for the next few years. I have heard of Albany, Hartford, and Utica as potential teams that may relocate to Binghamton.

Any substance to those rumors?
It will not be Utica, if Vancouver is moving, it is west. But they have said they are happy in Utica. I have heard devils as a one year trial. Rangers would work too as they were in Bingo at one time.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It will not be Utica, if Vancouver is moving, it is west. But they have said they are happy in Utica. I have heard devils as a one year trial. Rangers would work too as they were in Bingo at one time.

The area loved the Rangers and was devastated when they left. That would be my preference but I don't want to get my hopes up. Getting the devils would kind of be like a donkey kicking me in the junk...

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I really hope it's not the Devils. I do admit I could be over-reacting and upset over the recent news, but I think it would be a bad match up for Binghamton. Also, being a Rangers fan, it's possible my viewpoint is biased.

There arn't a lot of Devils fans in the area. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue in Binghamton (IE: Ottawa). The real problem is, Binghamton is hardcore Rangers and Sabres territory.

Obviously, the Rangers would be a huge success and is the ideal option. I'm not going to focus on that right now.

As a Rangers fan it would be very difficult for me to get behind a Devils affiliate, and root for them. The scarier part is a lot of my Ranger fan friends have said the same exact thing. If this is what happens, the best idea would be to give the team an original name and color scheme. If they did this, they would have a better chance of succeeding. However, Binghamton and New Jersey have a history of naming teams after the parent club. Add the history of how the Devils AHL club has been run, and I'm at a point where I'd rather make the 45 minute drive and watch the Jackals in Elmira.

Imho it would be similar to how the Utica Devils ended up. It's difficult for Upstate NY markets filled with Rangers fans to support a Devils affiliate.At the same time, I understand a smaller market like Binghamton doesn't have much choice. I never thought I'd say this, but I do wonder if it would be better to drop down to the ECHL for a bit while we wait for a better affiliate. I'm concerned if the Devils come in, and are not successful, it will lead to a reputation that we no longer support the AHL.

Of course, I could be wrong. However, being a long time resident, I just don't see how a Devils affiliate would be successful here. They've killed off many markets, and I don't want Bing to be next.

Last edited:

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Come on guys. I cant believe Rangers wouldn't support a Binghamton based Devils farm team. Lucky to have the AHL here and support your local team. I hate Ottawa and I have sponsored and supported the team here and every previous team here because I love the AHL and want it to succeed here. I support my home town team. As an Islander fan the words Lets go Rangers came through my lips many times for seven years and I survived. You ll all survive too supporting a Devs farm team here. The options are slim so this is what we are getting.
Now when the local player gets called up to a team you hate then you can dislike him. hahhaha

Blueshirts

Dec 12, 2006
I agree, I'm a big Ranger fan and don't like the Devils but the Devils coming is better than nothing or ECHL.

Blueshirts

Dec 12, 2006
I have a feeling that Ottawa would like to see Binghamton not get an AHL team than they could move their ECHL out of Wichita and move a lot closer to Binghamton and the BSens live on.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I have a feeling that Ottawa would like to see Binghamton not get an AHL team than they could move their ECHL out of Wichita and move a lot closer to Binghamton and the BSens live on.

If that were the case, they'd simply buy the mothballed Evansville team they were affiliated with and move it.

Wichita is a solid team in a solid market playing in a really nice, new arena. I don't think the owners are selling.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I agree, I'm a big Ranger fan and don't like the Devils but the Devils coming is better than nothing or ECHL.

The building is almost 50 years old. Should think you could remember where they started hockey in the city NAHL, a far cry from the AHL but that gave the city a taste for hockey. If you don't like the ECHL (as many in Utica seem to feel the same way). When your team leaves I'm sure the FHL will come knocking.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
I'm not going to get into the discussion of why I'm not crazy about the echl and hijack this thread. I will say when the UHL came here I supported and sponsored that team for all 5 years. I choose to not find lower than the ahl fun. That is my experience. I have no desire to support that level of play. I have watched AHL hockey here in Binghamton for 35 years that is what I prefer.
As for the NAHL minor hockey was different back then. The NAHL was almost as good as the AHL in that time. And if you remember the AHL in 77 was almost on the brink of being extinct. To compare the AHL/Echl , AHL/NAHL is silly

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The building is almost 50 years old. Should think you could remember where they started hockey in the city NAHL, a far cry from the AHL but that gave the city a taste for hockey. If you don't like the ECHL (as many in Utica seem to feel the same way). When your team leaves I'm sure the FHL will come knocking.

Utica ownership group and front office people has already said its either AHL or nothing. they do not see how they would be able to cash flow an echl team with all the travel and hotel expenses and the fact that they would be paying the coaching staff, trainers ect ect. that probably explains why ECHL tickets are actually more expensive than AHL tickets.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
We have seen Adirondack, Norfolk and Manchester drop down to the ECHL and for next year we will have Worcester and possibly Portland. Now just think if Utica and Binghampton would join this group. It would almost be like having the old "NAHL" around.
The AHL seems to be going to larger mid-sized arenas and the older 3500-4500 cannot fill the bill.
Some will support the moves (if they happen) some will not.
But this is what the future of hockey is coming to.

The ECHL actually has some larger arenas than the AHL - Wichita, Tulsa, Orlando, Gwinnett, S. Carolina, Greenville, Toledo, Utah off the top of my head. Might even see a few of them move up to the AHL, if the Florida teams want their AHL team closer and Utah could end up in the mix for one of the Western teams.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Then gas up the car and drive to Utica, Syracuse or WBS.

Or Rochester even.....

We have seen Adirondack, Norfolk and Manchester drop down to the ECHL and for next year we will have Worcester and possibly Portland. Now just think if Utica and Binghampton would join this group. It would almost be like having the old "NAHL" around.
The AHL seems to be going to larger mid-sized arenas and the older 3500-4500 cannot fill the bill.
Some will support the moves (if they happen) some will not.
But this is what the future of hockey is coming to.

The ECHL actually has some larger arenas than the AHL - Wichita, Tulsa, Orlando, Gwinnett, S. Carolina, Greenville, Toledo, Utah off the top of my head. Might even see a few of them move up to the AHL, if the Florida teams want their AHL team closer and Utah could end up in the mix for one of the Western teams.

Teams don't "move up", they need to poach and move a current franchise. This ain't Sweden.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I really hope it's not the Devils. I do admit I could be over-reacting and upset over the recent news, but I think it would be a bad match up for Binghamton. Also, being a Rangers fan, it's possible my viewpoint is biased.

There arn't a lot of Devils fans in the area. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue in Binghamton (IE: Ottawa). The real problem is, Binghamton is hardcore Rangers and Sabres territory.

Obviously, the Rangers would be a huge success and is the ideal option. I'm not going to focus on that right now.

As a Rangers fan it would be very difficult for me to get behind a Devils affiliate, and root for them. The scarier part is a lot of my Ranger fan friends have said the same exact thing. If this is what happens, the best idea would be to give the team an original name and color scheme. If they did this, they would have a better chance of succeeding. However, Binghamton and New Jersey have a history of naming teams after the parent club. Add the history of how the Devils AHL club has been run, and I'm at a point where I'd rather make the 45 minute drive and watch the Jackals in Elmira.

Imho it would be similar to how the Utica Devils ended up. It's difficult for Upstate NY markets filled with Rangers fans to support a Devils affiliate.At the same time, I understand a smaller market like Binghamton doesn't have much choice. I never thought I'd say this, but I do wonder if it would be better to drop down to the ECHL for a bit while we wait for a better affiliate. I'm concerned if the Devils come in, and are not successful, it will lead to a reputation that we no longer support the AHL.

Of course, I could be wrong. However, being a long time resident, I just don't see how a Devils affiliate would be successful here. They've killed off many markets, and I don't want Bing to be next.

Not happening. That would kill the momentum that the owners have been working/waiting for with the downtown area resurgence with student housing population. It would spell disaster.

However, you do have some valid points on the Devils' fan base bias by area Rangers' faithful, but it's AHL hockey and the league recognizes a successful market.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Not happening. That would kill the momentum that the owners have been working/waiting for with the downtown area resurgence with student housing population. It would spell disaster.

However, you do have some valid points on the Devils' fan base bias by area Rangers' faithful, but it's AHL hockey and the league recognizes a successful market.

This successful way to help offset some of that backlash if it is NJ is to NOT name the team binghamton devils. Instead, if it's not the Rangers coming back than I think the ownership group should go with an unaffiliated name. Maybe go back to the original team name: the dusters. This could offset some of the bias and keep the name neutral for any potential future affiliate changes...

tenpinsplit

Nov 9, 2005
Binghamton

I heard that BU was going to put a team together and get in on the d1 hockey action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad