AHL Affiliate?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Bring back Alaska Aces!
The NHL Seattle Ownership group would need to help support any aces revival it would likely cost 3 times as much to put a team in Alaska then anywhere else unless they got Vancouver's and Edmonton's and Calgary's AHL team's to go western Canada which would cut down on travel

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
already sold and in Portland, Maine, BK.... DOUBTFUL if the economics have changed there

Somehow, I don't think that mark will be an expensive buy. The travel? Heh, people THINK Newfoundland is out there. Yet Alaska isn't the worst idea.

The reason Portland sadly becomes an option is, in the midst of all the positioning given the CHL lawsuits, the state of Oregon refuses to exempt the Winterhawks from minimum wage laws. There may not be a Winterhawks to worry about in a few years. Thing is, I can look at Seattle history and tell you that at least one of the Silvertips or Thunderbirds won't survive, either. I really think it behooves Seattle NHL to buy out the Silvertips (though buying out the Thunderbirds MARKS isn't the worst idea). Besides, the arena in Everett screams AHL.

I don't think Mariners-Rainiers-Aquasox is an accident, and I think that at least NHL-AHL should replicate in that manner.

Thing is, while there are a number of Mariner and Seahawk fans here, Portland really wouldn't take to being an affiliate... in my opinion. BTW, to my knowledge, there's never been a Portland affiliation with a Seattle team. It would be a slimy, gross, and yet interesting test.

Boise is out. I mean, I believe there's a reason OVG mentioned California.
  • Boise is too independent-minded, and all their minor league teams cleave to that. Boise Hawks only affiliate with teams who promise to draft primarily college players because Boise perceives a bigger chance of winning with them. (Thing is, their power to make that decision is diminishing) So I really think they'd prefer to stay ECHL.
  • Utah: the logic with Boise is solidifying the TV market. Utah does not fit that and, while it's a decent hub for certain airlines, is kind of the opposite of Seattle. I don't see it.
  • Fresno: you'll either have to play serious second fiddle to Fresno State, or not make any suite money at Selland.
  • Sacramento: no permanent ice plant, serious upgrades to actually make space for a 200' rink, and the way the Kings arranged that is, to me, no accident.
  • San Francisco: a team in the new arena will do worse than the Spiders. That assumes the arena will even be capable.
  • Oakland: don't count on Oracle remaining standing, not that it's capable, either.
  • Long Beach: see Selland, and they'd do worse than the Spiders, too.
Unless OVG actually wants to build a new arena in California (and I could think of a couple places to put them), I don't see it... and I don't see them wanting to build more than they already are.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That being said it's very possible that an ECHL franchise could get transitioned to the ECHL like the Colorado Eagles did.
echl_2018-19.png
I didn't even notice that the Norfolk Admirals got demoted to ECHL, the Worchester Sharks AHL became a new ECHL team & the Manchester Monarchs getting demoted to ECHL too.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The goal for Seattle in long term is to get a Washington AHL team right ? Spokane, Tacoma, Bellevue or Redmond ? Vancouver washingston would just be too confusing.
Bellevue could be called the Bellevue Steam - reference to Valve corp's Steam software being located there.

Reactions: Neill99

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I didn't even notice that the Norfolk Admirals got demoted to ECHL, the Worchester Sharks AHL became a new ECHL team & the Manchester Monarchs getting demoted to ECHL too.
Worcester isn't the Sharks, either, Anaheim, did you also forget it was Anaheim who put Norfolk in that untenable position, by acquiring the Admirals...and relocating them to San Diego.... it took Edmonton to rectify that.... Norfolk had always been a member of the ECHL, because there are photos and clips of Hampton Roads merchandise still collected.... why they became Norfolk solely was the city decreed that in 2000

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The goal for Seattle in long term is to get a Washington AHL team right ? Spokane, Tacoma, Bellevue or Redmond ? Vancouver washingston would just be too confusing.
Bellevue could be called the Bellevue Steam - reference to Valve corp's Steam software being located there.

Nothing says its going to be in washington state. We don't even know if its going to be in the northwest.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Nothing says its going to be in washington state. We don't even know if its going to be in the northwest.

Initial reaction: is Seattle going to build a suitable arena in California (California is the operating location I read in one response from OVG personnel)? With suites and all? Because no Californian city is practically permitted to do so right now. (Technically, they are, but between public sentiment against and the state turning off the "public development" spigot, realistically, they won't). You really think Selland is suitable? Long Beach? Would they really pay to be third fiddle at Fresno State's arena?

Smarter reaction: it is early, and answers to any of those questions probably won't be answered for 20 months... at minimum. Quite possible that Seattle could wait a year after opening to ice the affiliate.

OTOH, the limitations that are out in front of us are like the ingredients for a cake. The ingredients are easy to determine. The flavor will likely be somewhat easy to figure out. So don't be afraid to call it a cake in waiting.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
For now.

We have to see if (1) the Steelheads are interesting in selling (or even buying in), and/or (2) OVG would actually build an arena in Palm Springs, or if something might get built with public dosh.

Sorry disagree with you there. They aren't going to put the team near in a WHL city or near one at all. Tippett was clear on that they don't want to disrupt the WHL teams.

I'm sure the Steelheads would love to go AHL. If the team has to be build an arena for the AHL team, it'll be all privately funded. Everything to date has been all private.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sorry disagree with you there. They aren't going to put the team near in a WHL city or near one at all. Tippett was clear on that they don't want to disrupt the WHL teams.

I'm sure the Steelheads would love to go AHL. If the team has to be build an arena for the AHL team, it'll be all privately funded. Everything to date has been all private.
Eh, the Colorado Eagles just joined the AHL with an arena sized similarly to the one in Boise. I don't think that's a huge deal anymore if the arena is nice, has the luxury boxes, and isn't super old.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Eh, the Colorado Eagles just joined the AHL with an arena sized similarly to the one in Boise. I don't think that's a huge deal anymore if the arena is nice, has the luxury boxes, and isn't super old.

Part of the reason why they are annoucning the AHL real soon is let them have time to build the arena for the team if needed or perhaps any upgrades to the arena if needed. The aim is AHL starts at the same time at the NHL club.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Loveland was told as a condition, the BEC had to be renovated, BB, it was not AHL Spec....

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Loveland was told as a condition, the BEC had to be renovated, BB, it was not AHL Spec....
That was just locker rooms and ice plant though, wasn't it? I don't recall them adding any seats, and the place in Boise seems nice/new enough to make the grade with a few slight upgrades. Do you know the specifics of the renovations?

I've followed the progress of the Eagles because they came to ECHL during the Las Vegas years, but I never really dove deep.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That was just locker rooms and ice plant though, wasn't it? I don't recall them adding any seats, and the place in Boise seems nice/new enough to make the grade with a few slight upgrades. Do you know the specifics of the renovations?

I've followed the progress of the Eagles because they came to ECHL during the Las Vegas years, but I never really dove deep.
YEA, I don't recall what the minimum specs are for an AHL arena are, but you have to know as well, the Eagles were still active in the E, even as it became known publically they were leaving and how Colorado was negotiating its way out of San Antonio, I think we had to keep reminding their fanbase of that minor detail but would the AHL have pulled the franchise for not completing those renovations within reason would've been an interesting discussion....

I'M always interested in teams I MIGHT KNOW OF, in name only, but when you get these sidebar issues it's good to dig deeper, just in case you miss some detail....

I do know that the Iowa Chops was the only franchise pulled or terminated from the AHL (NOW Texas ), BUT that wasn't over arena issues, it's happened a few times in the E as well....

Avsrule might know those detailed specifics, though;)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Here are the options I see working out.

1. Idaho Steelheads
2a. Utah Grizzlies
2b. Vegas takes Utah and Seattle takes the Chicago Wolves, because Vegas has fans there now and could have a good chance at expanding the hockey market into Salt Lake City in a much better way.
3. They look into other options such as Oregon, Califorina, etc.

But I think as of right now, if the Blues want their own affiliate again, the San Antonio Rampage look to be most likely of the bunch. But overall my preference would be the Idaho Steelheads being the AHL affiliate.

Alternate option:
Maybe place it in Everett/Kent if demand for tickets are high in a few seasons after.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Here are the options I see working out.

1. Idaho Steelheads
2a. Utah Grizzlies
2b. Vegas takes Utah and Seattle takes the Chicago Wolves, because Vegas has fans there now and could have a good chance at expanding the hockey market into Salt Lake City in a much better way.
3. They look into other options such as Oregon, Califorina, etc.

But I think as of right now, if the Blues want their own affiliate again, the San Antonio Rampage look to be most likely of the bunch. But overall my preference would be the Idaho Steelheads being the AHL affiliate.

Alternate option:
Maybe place it in Everett/Kent if demand for tickets are high in a few seasons after.

I disagree with your other choices. It said that Seattle would own their AHL team. Utah's arena isn't capable of hosting hockey. Dave Tippett basically ruled out the team being in state as well as Oregon. Don't want it to disrupt the WHL teams.

Chances are probably decent it'll be in California to be near the other AHL teams instead of Idaho.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I disagree with your other choices. It said that Seattle would own their AHL team. Utah's arena isn't capable of hosting hockey. Dave Tippett basically ruled out the team being in state as well as Oregon. Don't want it to disrupt the WHL teams.

Chances are probably decent it'll be in California to be near the other AHL teams instead of Idaho.
tommy:

unless it's Palm Springs, are you sure you want OVG splitting focus trying to build multiple arenas and run the risk of delaying Seattle's target of 2021 to take the ice at Seattle Center?

there's not a lot of options there and it's pretty much Idaho is the option... Utah's been there and has no interest in returning even if the current owners sell to OVG

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
tommy:

unless it's Palm Springs, are you sure you want OVG splitting focus trying to build multiple arenas and run the risk of delaying Seattle's target of 2021 to take the ice at Seattle Center?

there's not a lot of options there and it's pretty much Idaho is the option... Utah's been there and has no interest in returning even if the current owners sell to OVG

How is building an arena for the AHL going to suddenly delay SCA? It won't SCA is already under construction right now and should be done by spring 2021. Heck it will probably be done some time before spring 2021. There is no way it'll delayed to beyond October 2021. Tim Leiweke can manage multiple arena projects at the same time. He his career out of building arenas. Btw Leiweke already has a 2nd major arena project going on right now for the Islanders at Belmont

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How is building an arena for the AHL going to suddenly delay SCA? It won't SCA is already under construction right now and should be done by spring 2021. Heck it will probably be done some time before spring 2021. There is no way it'll delayed to beyond October 2021. Tim Leiweke can manage multiple arena projects at the same time. He his career out of building arenas. Btw Leiweke already has a 2nd major arena project going on right now for the Islanders at Belmont
it depends on who builds it, tommy, you are overtly concerned about what.... relaxxx

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
it depends on who builds it, tommy, you are overtly concerned about what.... relaxxx

I am not the one that says building a separate arena for AHL will suddenly delay SCA for another year. It has no impact what so ever on SCA. OVG building an AHL arena will not delay SCA. SCA is under construction now and will be done before the WNBA Storm 2021 season not 2022 season.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I am not the one that says building a separate arena for AHL will suddenly delay SCA for another year. It has no impact what so ever on SCA. OVG building an AHL arena will not delay SCA. SCA is under construction now and will be done before the WNBA Storm 2021 season not 2022 season.
relax, but you're overtly concerned over where the affiliate will be, what we're telling you is don't discount Boise because you're already spent $ on SCA, the franchise fee to get Seattle going, tommy...

Utah isn't going to be an option based off past history anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad