AHL Affiliate?

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
I reside in Reno. As a former Seattle resident I would absolutely LOVE having the AHL affiliate in this town.

But it's not going to happen.

Not unless Seattle ownership wants to invest something in the neighborhood of $7M to renovate the Events Center. It's a shame, too. Both the city and the team would benefit greatly from the arrangement.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I reside in Reno. As a former Seattle resident I would absolutely LOVE having the AHL affiliate in this town.

But it's not going to happen.

Not unless Seattle ownership wants to invest something in the neighbourhood of $7M to renovate the Events Center. It's a shame, too. Both the city and the team would benefit greatly from the arrangement.

If the Everett Silvertips or Seattle Thunderbirds re-locate due to declining numbers because of the NHL, and the fans in Seattle sellout every single game then I think they'd look at putting their AHL affiliate in what'd likely be Everett or Kent, but the other thing that they'd have to consider is if the Canucks would put their team in Abbotsford, and another team in Idaho.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the Everett Silvertips or Seattle Thunderbirds re-locate due to declining numbers because of the NHL, and the fans in Seattle sellout every single game then I think they'd look at putting their AHL affiliate in what'd likely be Everett or Kent, but the other thing that they'd have to consider is if the Canucks would put their team in Abbotsford, and another team in Idaho.

First of all the AHL location has been already decided palm springs, 2nd of all it was never going to be in Washington state. And finally the WHL teams are not going to be moving.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
First of all the AHL location has been already decided palm springs, 2nd of all it was never going to be in Washington state. And finally the WHL teams are not going to be moving.

I was taking say... 5-10 years from now, at the fact Seattle would look into that idea if other AHL teams were going to look into going Northwest as well.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I was taking say... 5-10 years from now, at the fact Seattle would look into that idea if other AHL teams were going to look into going Northwest as well.

They would have gone with Idaho if that was that case. They didn't They are building an arena in Palm Springs california for the AHL. Again the NHL team is on record saying they weren't going to put the team in Washington state at all.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

OVG blatantly expressed their intentions to avoid disrupting any of the WHL American Division teams, either with the NHL team or by placing an AHL affiliate in the Pacific Northwest. If what you're suggesting was reality, they would have either butted into any of the 5 American WHL markets or picked a temporary home when choosing a location. They instead are dropping $250 million on an arena in a market they openly targeted for months. They wouldn't be doing that to simply double back on a market that they were very clear they wanted to leave alone 5-10 years before. Palm Springs is going to be their permanent home for a long time.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
OVG blatantly expressed their intentions to avoid disrupting any of the WHL American Division teams, either with the NHL team or by placing an AHL affiliate in the Pacific Northwest. If what you're suggesting was reality, they would have either butted into any of the 5 American WHL markets or picked a temporary home when choosing a location. They instead are dropping $250 million on an arena in a market they openly targeted for months. They wouldn't be doing that to simply double back on a market that they were very clear they wanted to leave alone 5-10 years before. Palm Springs is going to be their permanent home for a long time.
That actually sucks for the players, there's no cost of living adjustment for AHL players and that's a high rent area.

I interviewed for an intra-company transfer to San Jose, the cost of living adjustment was 30% and I laughed at the manager. I told him I wouldn't consider anything under 50%, even then I'd be going from a 3 bdrm house in Bellingham to a 2 bdrm apartment in Silicon Valley and selling 4 out of my 5 cars.

AHL minimum is around $40k, a livable wage in PNW, not so much in LA area.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also wise to put the team close to their division rivals in Cali. Plus, it's close to a big airport to catch a flight to Seattle or anywhere else in the NHL if a callup is required.

Would hope that the Canucks will one day move their AHL team out of Utica to somewhere in California to join their PAC division rivals.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Also wise to put the team close to their division rivals in Cali. Plus, it's close to a big airport to catch a flight to Seattle or anywhere else in the NHL if a callup is required.

Would hope that the Canucks will one day move their AHL team out of Utica to somewhere in California to join their PAC division rivals.
there's too many teams now in the Division, Street, and the Canucks like Esche and how it's been working there in Utica, REMEMBER, Esche was the one looking for a franchise to operate or run, it just took the direction of the Blues saying that their operational resources are better suited as an affiliate than as an owner/operator, and it likely won't be California if the Canucks decide to opt out....

there's 7 teams or more in the Pacific, after they finally got Texas and San Antonio out of that division.... and that was after the Tucson addition, I believe they want alignment in the A, AND ANYMORE THAN 7 is an imbalance, When you had 8, it brings in more problems and that doesn't account for the existing rules which decrees 68 is the limit for any Pacific Division team, nevermind the winning % analogy or the dreaded play in best of 3 mini-series, when you were focused on staying out of fifth in your own division to slide into the other division.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

When I was carrying this line many moons ago, my reply to this comment would basically be "if OVG wanted to avoid disrupting any of the WHL American Division teams, then they shouldn't have brought NHL to Seattle."

Understand me, though... the NHL would have been stupid not to go to Seattle.

There's been a bit of history in Puget Sound surrounding fallout when the big new shiny thing arrives. The rising tide that lifts boats in Puget Sound is often a red tide. I do think OVG is throwing away some opportunity by NOT disrupting. But since we're not disrupting, at least one of Everett or Kent are on the clock now. Give that 10 years at most.

And that presumes that the CHL class action doesn't really mess things up. The fact that the American teams are NOT a part of the lawsuit IS a part of the problem, because I find it hard to believe the WHL would fancy trying to accommodate two different personnel solutions into one league. This also presumes CHL doesn't begin to protect its remaining small markets by sacrificing the Americans. This also presumes that Portland doesn't lose interest in the WHL between what's going on in Seattle (envy) and the seeming reduction of investment in the franchise, and that would cause a domino or two to fall.

Mind you, once things are disrupted, this could be an AHL discussion, this could be an ECHL discussion, this could be a slightly sort-of rumored Northwest SPHL-style pro league discussion, so anyone laying money or holding their breath based on this post gets no pity from me.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When I was carrying this line many moons ago, my reply to this comment would basically be "if OVG wanted to avoid disrupting any of the WHL American Division teams, then they shouldn't have brought NHL to Seattle."

Understand me, though... the NHL would have been stupid not to go to Seattle.

There's been a bit of history in Puget Sound surrounding fallout when the big new shiny thing arrives. The rising tide that lifts boats in Puget Sound is often a red tide. I do think OVG is throwing away some opportunity by NOT disrupting. But since we're not disrupting, at least one of Everett or Kent are on the clock now. Give that 10 years at most.

And that presumes that the CHL class action doesn't really mess things up. The fact that the American teams are NOT a part of the lawsuit IS a part of the problem, because I find it hard to believe the WHL would fancy trying to accommodate two different personnel solutions into one league. This also presumes CHL doesn't begin to protect its remaining small markets by sacrificing the Americans. This also presumes that Portland doesn't lose interest in the WHL between what's going on in Seattle (envy) and the seeming reduction of investment in the franchise, and that would cause a domino or two to fall.

Mind you, once things are disrupted, this could be an AHL discussion, this could be an ECHL discussion, this could be a slightly sort-of rumored Northwest SPHL-style pro league discussion, so anyone laying money or holding their breath based on this post gets no pity from me.

Washington state passed a law making the 4 WHL team as amateur. The 2 western side of the state teams are fine with a NHL team in Seattle since WHL teams are far cheaper compare to NHL teams.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Washington state passed a law making the 4 WHL team as amateur. The 2 western side of the state teams are fine with a NHL team in Seattle since WHL teams are far cheaper compare to NHL teams.

And if you remember the point I made, Oregon refused to follow Washington's lead on that law. Plus what happens if the courts in Canada decide that the attempts to make amateur (which some provinces have passed and some have not) are invalid?

None of this is tidy, or necessarily predictable. It is the differences in what states and provinces are doing that should give pause as much as anything.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And if you remember the point I made, Oregon refused to follow Washington's lead on that law. Plus what happens if the courts in Canada decide that the attempts to make amateur (which some provinces have passed and some have not) are invalid?

None of this is tidy, or necessarily predictable. It is the differences in what states and provinces are doing that should give pause as much as anything.

Wouldn't matter what the Canada court say they rule has no authority to be applied in the US. They would have to sue the league in US courts.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The CHL amateur issue (and others related to CHL) has been discussed on BOH for years. Lots of threads and posts with more up to date information than I care to remember. :D

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It’s a Canadian-based league. SMH

Good luck trying to enforce a court ruling in another country. It won't work. Canadian Courts can not throw out a law in another country its out side their jurisdiction. 5 US teams operated under their own state and US federal laws not Canadian laws. That's why the 5 US teams weren't part of the lawsuit in the Canadian courts. It would require a separate lawsuit in US federal courts.

Last edited:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Good luck trying to enforce a court ruling in another country. It won't work. Canadian Courts can not throw out a law in another country its out side their jurisdiction. 5 US teams operated under their own state and US federal laws not Canadian laws. That's why the 5 US teams weren't part of the lawsuit in the Canadian courts. It would require a separate lawsuit in US federal courts.

So when you can't enforce the ruling in another country regarding the SAME LEAGUE, what the bleep do you think happens to the league?

The way the CHL is run makes it wholly impractical to absorb two sets of roster rules in one conglomeration, mostly because of the NHL visits that many players make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->