AHL Affiliate?

Discussion in 'Seattle' started by Jeffrey Pedler, Dec 6, 2018.

1. DevilsJunkie

DevilsJunkie Registered User

I reside in Reno. As a former Seattle resident I would absolutely LOVE having the AHL affiliate in this town.

But it's not going to happen.

Not unless Seattle ownership wants to invest something in the neighborhood of $7M to renovate the Events Center. It's a shame, too. Both the city and the team would benefit greatly from the arrangement.

2. LadyStanley

LadyStanley Registered User

3. CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH Registered User

last to use it was Philadelphia to Syracuse (1974-80)

4. DudeWhereIsMakar

DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

If the Everett Silvertips or Seattle Thunderbirds re-locate due to declining numbers because of the NHL, and the fans in Seattle sellout every single game then I think they'd look at putting their AHL affiliate in what'd likely be Everett or Kent, but the other thing that they'd have to consider is if the Canucks would put their team in Abbotsford, and another team in Idaho.

5. gstommylee

gstommylee Registered User

First of all the AHL location has been already decided palm springs, 2nd of all it was never going to be in Washington state. And finally the WHL teams are not going to be moving.

6. DudeWhereIsMakar

DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

I was taking say... 5-10 years from now, at the fact Seattle would look into that idea if other AHL teams were going to look into going Northwest as well.

7. gstommylee

gstommylee Registered User

They would have gone with Idaho if that was that case. They didn't They are building an arena in Palm Springs california for the AHL. Again the NHL team is on record saying they weren't going to put the team in Washington state at all.

8. Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson Registered User

OVG blatantly expressed their intentions to avoid disrupting any of the WHL American Division teams, either with the NHL team or by placing an AHL affiliate in the Pacific Northwest. If what you're suggesting was reality, they would have either butted into any of the 5 American WHL markets or picked a temporary home when choosing a location. They instead are dropping $250 million on an arena in a market they openly targeted for months. They wouldn't be doing that to simply double back on a market that they were very clear they wanted to leave alone 5-10 years before. Palm Springs is going to be their permanent home for a long time.

9. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

That actually sucks for the players, there's no cost of living adjustment for AHL players and that's a high rent area.

I interviewed for an intra-company transfer to San Jose, the cost of living adjustment was 30% and I laughed at the manager. I told him I wouldn't consider anything under 50%, even then I'd be going from a 3 bdrm house in Bellingham to a 2 bdrm apartment in Silicon Valley and selling 4 out of my 5 cars.

AHL minimum is around $40k, a livable wage in PNW, not so much in LA area.