AHL Affiliate?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
My guess is California (Since so many of the Clubs are already there), or maybe Idaho Steelheads (Dave Tippet tipped his hand, mentioning them a couple of months ago)

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
ahl_2018-19-1.png

Looking at the current map I would think that any AHL team would be placed near one of the current cluster of teams to aid in travel costs.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Portland, Oregon would be the most logical to me considering the success of the Portland Winterhawks down there but I like all of these ideas. Idaho would be a super cool place for the Seattle Affiliate. I would totally make a pilgrimage out there once or twice a year to see our kids.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If they're going to do that, Idaho or Utah fits the best with the recent trends in the AHL to have the AHL affiliate in the same region
Utah is unlikely, the same group running the Grizzlies now bailed after 5 years and multiple legal suits for non-payment of fees due, one was Arizona, the other was Dallas

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Seattle Sockeyes sound to me like a minor league hockey team name how about Seattle Guardians or Evergreens.

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
I would consider placing in Sacramento. It's centrally located to the other AHL teams so traveling will be minimized and Golden1 Center looks to be a part of the OVG Arena Alliance

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The key issue is if there is a readily-built ice machine in the Golden 1 Center, or if the Seattle ownership will pony up the resources to help pay for and operate said machine.

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
The key issue is if there is a readily-built ice machine in the Golden 1 Center, or if the Seattle ownership will pony up the resources to help pay for and operate said machine.

Considering they have and are hosting Disney on Ice I'd assume they have an ice plant. If they do need to make some changes though I'm sure it would be far cheaper then the cost of a 6000+ seat arena (for perspective Showare Center cost $85 million 10 years ago).

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Considering they have and are hosting Disney on Ice I'd assume they have an ice plant. If they do need to make some changes though I'm sure it would be far cheaper then the cost of a 6000+ seat arena (for perspective Showare Center cost $85 million 10 years ago).
most of the traveling shows have their own ice, Golden 1 may not since it's the Kings who are the prime tenant, it's always been in a basketball configuration

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I think Portland is a non-starter, they already have the WHL and the history with the Winterhawks, I don't think they exchange that to go fom WHL to AHL

Boise makes sense, since they are the ECHL. They would be in the Seattle Television Market.

California makes more sense since most of the AHL teams would be playing there. Ironically, Sacramento makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: Kodi

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think Portland is a non-starter, they already have the WHL and the history with the Winterhawks, I don't think they exchange that to go fom WHL to AHL

Boise makes sense, since they are the ECHL. They would be in the Seattle Television Market.

California makes more sense since most of the AHL teams would be playing there. Ironically, Sacramento makes a ton of sense.

Portland would more be an and not an or regarding AHL/WHL. There are lots of places with a junior team and a pro team. Not saying it’s the most logical choice, but there’s still valid reasoning. The proximity is also nice in case of emergency call ups

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Portland would more be an and not an or regarding AHL/WHL. There are lots of places with a junior team and a pro team. Not saying it’s the most logical choice, but there’s still valid reasoning. The proximity is also nice in case of emergency call ups

Portland would rather keep the WHL then to give it up and root for an Seattle affiliate AHL team. Portland does not like Seattle in terms of sports.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Portland would rather keep the WHL then to give it up and root for an Seattle affiliate AHL team. Portland does not like Seattle in terms of sports.

Nah that is not necessarily true, Lots of Mariners and Seahawks fans down there, at least among Winterhawk fans that I've seen.

Sure some sports fans in Oregon are all anti-Washington everything, But the Mariners and especially the Seahawks seems to break that mold. Also lots of interest in upcoming Seattle NHL team as well.

Reactions: Selfish Man

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seems to me that Salt Lake would make the most sense for an AHL Franchise. Then Idaho for an ECHL franchise.
Salt Lake won't ever be considered again as an AHL Market, that ship sailed in 2006-07 after the Gunds sold out to Dan Gilbert, that's why the AHL Grizzlies were sold to Cleveland, Grizzlies ownership also was facing two legal suits for breach of contract over affiliation fees, one filed by Idaho's current affiliate in Dallas, the other by Arizona, when the sale of the AHL Franchise occurred, btw, the Jazz are the only franchise in Salt Lake, the Maverik Center is in West Valley

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Salt Lake won't ever be considered again as an AHL Market, that ship sailed in 2006-07 after the Gunds sold out to Dan Gilbert, that's why the AHL Grizzlies were sold to Cleveland, Grizzlies ownership also was facing two legal suits for breach of contract over affiliation fees, one filed by Idaho's current affiliate in Dallas, the other by Arizona, when the sale of the AHL Franchise occurred, btw, the Jazz are the only franchise in Salt Lake, the Maverik Center is in West Valley
I was there in 2005 to see a couple of games. That's an ugly story but it was (come the time a Seattle AHL team would be chosen) 14 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad