After acquiring E Kane, Would You Trade for O'Reilly or a Similar Player?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would be worried about UFA. O'Reilly wants top $ and the Sabres could afford to pay, so they could make it work.

Oreilly wanted to be paid long term and a bit more than Duchene

Duchene had a 5 year / 30 mil / 6.0 cap.

They finally settled on par with Duchene, but short term. 2 / 12 / 6.0 cap

I'd trade for him, and drop 6.25 over 8 years in his lap without thinking twice. Is he going to turn down the type of deal he was looking for 2 years ago? and risk a year on the ice? maybe... but i'd bet against it.... i'd also bump up to 6.5.... 6.75.

I don't see how he commands much more on the open market. yea, everyone needs an Oreilly, but no one has ever paid 7 million - 8 million for a player like him. Im not saying he's not worth it.

Callahan was months away from free agency, and signed 6 yrs / 5.8 per

Sure, he's older... but is someone paying Oreilly in a way that changes the entire landscape of contracts? i dont buy it. He's going to get a contract that will make him the highest paid 50 pt 2 way player since Bobby Holik went to New York.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Once we have McDavid/Eichel in hand then I think Murray go full steam ahead with the building phase. O'Reilly would be a great piece. A young leader to insulate the kids the way the Oilers never have. One thing I found very interesting is that Murray is very tight with Oester, the agent for Kane who is also the agent for O'Reilly. If Murray makes a play for him then you know he knows he can workout a financial deal long term.

I would love to see the off-season unfold like:

1) Draft McDavid/Eichel
2) Send NYI 1st, Grigorenko, McCabe to Avs for O'Reilly, sign him long term
3) sign either Boychuk or Methot
4) Send NYI 2nd and a middle prospect to L.A. For Martin Jones

Probably a pipedream scenario but it would insulate the kids and set this team up to be competitive for a long time with Fashing, Bailey, Baptiste, Compher, Carrier still coming down the pipeline.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't just hand O'Reilly whatever he wants because the has been tough to negotiate with in the past, and I highly doubt Tim would either. Logan Couture signed a 5 year 30 million dollar contract at about the same age with a better track record, and is a better player. Patrice Bergeron although at a different point in his career signed a 8 year 52 million dollar contract with and is the better player. A cap hit of 6.5 Per.

I am not interested in handing over a 52 million dollar deal to O'Reilly, I think that's borderline insane, but I would give him a comparable deal to that of Couture for starters. If he feels he is worth 52 million dollars over 8 seasons I would simply walk, between Girgensons, Eichel (hopefully), Kane and Reinhart that's going to be an awful lot of money tied down. He is a really nice two way player but I don't think he is a game changer.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
hmm, ROR is another Newport Agency guy, does anyone know of Oster (Kanes agent and TM's good buddy) deals with ROR? would make for a nice in with him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No because Murray can't trade and will overpay in some stupid way. Its so bad how Jets fans are parading around about how they won the Kane deal and how every player will work out. I'm still sour over Lemieux because he didn't want to sign but apparently he always wanted the jets according to fans.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
seems it would be risky and costly to trade for him. why wouldnt we just wait and toss our pegulabuck filled hat into the ring when he hits UFA?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If we could swing either Grigorenko or Hodgson into a deal for O'Reilly, that would be ideal. If a 1st of Buffalo's is involved, I'd prefer to either be 2017's, and 16's with some protections and conditions. Murray loves conditions.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Once we have McDavid/Eichel in hand then I think Murray go full steam ahead with the building phase. O'Reilly would be a great piece. A young leader to insulate the kids the way the Oilers never have. One thing I found very interesting is that Murray is very tight with Oester, the agent for Kane who is also the agent for O'Reilly. If Murray makes a play for him then you know he knows he can workout a financial deal long term.

I would love to see the off-season unfold like:

1) Draft McDavid/Eichel
2) Send NYI 1st, Grigorenko, McCabe to Avs for O'Reilly, sign him long term
3) sign either Boychuk or Methot
4) Send NYI 2nd and a middle prospect to L.A. For Martin Jones

Probably a pipedream scenario but it would insulate the kids and set this team up to be competitive for a long time with Fashing, Bailey, Baptiste, Compher, Carrier still coming down the pipeline.

I could not agree more. While this is a bit of a dream, I believe TM is a huge fan of ROR and due to his relationship with the agency that represents him he stands a great chance of signing him.
I would even do Compher and Grigorenko plus Isles first for ROR. Either Boychuck or Methot totally solidifies our top 6 D. I would add Larsson or something similar to Isles 2nd to land Martin Jones.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
i am confident that if the guy Pegula hired to build a contender says, "this will help us win a cup", Pegula won't overrule him for some stupid fan sense of media/draft coverage.

Plus as you said it would be top 5 protected, so no risk of giving up a lottery ticket.

I'd also be interested in looking at JVR, ROR, Brandon Gormley, and acquiring the rights to Sekera before FA starts.

In general if we can trade the other late 1st for a middle 6 or better veteran player, I'd be fine with it.

wheelklown

Dec 19, 2014
Batavia, NY
No thanks. Not interested in the cost it would take to get and keep him in terms of assets and future contract. I would rather go harder for a guy like Vermette this offseason to guide our youngins for a few years than overpay on a crazy long-term contract for a guy with subpar production (Im aware of everything else he brings to the table) for the $ we'd be paying him.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
One of Girgensons/Grigorenko would have to be involved in a trade for ROR, I would guess. As a matter of fact, I think Girgensons might be at his peak value right now, so assuming ROR is your priority for some reason, it might be a good idea to move Girgs as one of the core pieces.

Girgs + Pysyk + late 1st? :dunno:

I'd love to have him on the team, but I don't think the Sabres currently have an expendable defenseman that the Avs would probably want to have in return.
hahahah for real?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
No for now. After this draft we'll have a bunch of young, promising players. We're gonna be looking at McEichel, Reinhart and Girgensons down the middle and Kane on a wing. We don't yet know how Fasching, Baptiste, Grigorenko etcetera fit in the mix.

My point is that we've got a large, promising and very young core on the rise. If we're going to build a team around that we're gonna need some experienced players. I don't have a target yet, but I'd be willing to put up another similar deal for a player with a few more years under his belt. But not for ROR. Not at this point.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'll have to admit, that ROR was the first(&only) name I thought of after really thinking about the big one yesterday. Perfect fit as regards what else has happened.

Was thinking something along the lines of Grigorenko (Roy connection) plus the middle first... is that enough ? Remember ROR is not signed long term....

Kane-Eichel-Ennis
Reinhart-Girgensons-O'Reilly

Is pretty much the dream top6 you build around, with experienced guys like MM & Gionta also around.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I like him, but would he play wing? We have so many LW.

Ennis, Moulson, Kane, Des, Foligno, Larsson, Carrier, potentially one of the centers that we have too many of. And then you add another LW in ROR. Some players are going to have to either switch to their off wing, stay in Rochester forever, or get shipped out.

He could play center if we trade one of McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, or Grigorenko, and then put one of the remaining C on the wing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I'd trade for him, and drop 6.25 over 8 years in his lap without thinking twice. Is he going to turn down the type of deal he was looking for 2 years ago? and risk a year on the ice? maybe... but i'd bet against it.... i'd also bump up to 6.5.... 6.75.

I don't see how he commands much more on the open market. yea, everyone needs an Oreilly, but no one has ever paid 7 million - 8 million for a player like him. Im not saying he's not worth it.

Sure, he's older... but is someone paying Oreilly in a way that changes the entire landscape of contracts? i dont buy it. He's going to get a contract that will make him the highest paid 50 pt 2 way player since Bobby Holik went to New York.

Obviously start low work your way, etc. But I would go up to 7 if needed. The history of the league is that the cap goes up. Inexorably higher and higher. If I could lock down ROR till after he is 30, I'm gonna do it. When the cap jumps 10 million in 3 years, ROR's percentage of our cap will be perfectly acceptable, if not a deal compared to his open market value. Since the next lockout won't be due till after his potential deal would be over, the inevitable drop in cap at that point won't matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

Unless the world markets collapse, since the cap was introduced you generally see a 3 million dollar increase on average from year to year. Even if this year it doesn't go up as some have opined, which I don't agree with, that is irrelevant to Buffalo because of the cap space we have. They could sign ROR and Sekera to huge deals and still have cap room for the next two years to cover rfa contracts.

Long winded way of saying over paying ROR in the short term is not a problem, its an advantage that we have over most other teams. We should take advantage.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

The way I look at it, giving him anything more than six over that term is overpaying, not underpaying. Something under six on that term would be nice.

Getting ahead of things here, however.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I like him, but would he play wing? We have so many LW.

Ennis, Moulson, Kane, Des, Foligno, Larsson, Carrier, potentially one of the centers that we have too many of. And then you add another LW in ROR. Some players are going to have to either switch to their off wing, stay in Rochester forever, or get shipped out.

He could play center if we trade one of McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, or Grigorenko, and then put one of the remaining C on the wing.

Kane is the only winger on that list who is comparable to ROR. And he could certainly play RW. Either way he is on the top two lines.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He's not gonna take anything less than $6.5M from anyone, especially us. He makes 6 now and it trending upward.

If it were a short term deal similar to the last one he signed I would agree with you 100 percent.

But - you would like to think that he had enough foresight to understand the value of a huge term on what is in all likelyhood going to be a future powerhouse - with him as an integral part of that. SO offer something like 8yrs / $45m, front loaded as much as is possible these days & see where it gets you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad