AFCON 2024; 13 January – 11 February 2024

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
My stream died for a bit, did South Africa miss their first or did it get saved?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Williams coudln't reproduce his heroics in the shootout and Nigeria reach the final. I think that's good, Nigeria are more positive side than SA, so it should make the final better.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
After a poor group stage, maybe the host are reaching the final nevertheless.

Haller might have not meant that, but his shot took a nice bounce and thus out of reach for keeper, putting IC ahead.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I really like Emerse Fae as a coach. I'm really excited to see what happens in his tenure regardless of how the game on Sunday goes.

I think it's very important to have a French coach. And people are forgetting, Fae was born in France, raised in France and played for French youth national teams first. Fae is French, and it's extremely useful because we need French coaches to stay relevant in the recruiting space.

A lot of this team was put together by Dussuyer and Gasset. I think it was extremely damaging under Kamara and Beaumelle, there was so much rhetoric about supporting the local leagues and calling up local league players to the national team. We were putting very bad teams out there, and a lot of relationships built up by Dussuyer fell through during that time period and were revived by Gasset. The entire team can't be French expats but in order for us to have the depth that we have this year, we can have 3 guys sitting out on cards, and sub in 5 quality guys, you need to recruit well.

Fae is a good blend. He is French, so French kids will relate to him. But he's also younger, he looks like the players, so the Ivorian players and fans will also buyin. And he's demonstrated technical competence as well. Winning the AFCON would obviously be huge but regardless, I want to see a run with him as head coach.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Troost-Ekong has stepped up for his country when needed at big moments. Been a good choice for role of captain.

Goal should do well for how rest of the match unfolds.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What a finish by Haller. Incredible story if they can hold onto this.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Sensational... I'm not cheering anyone on... just wanted the winner to be something worthy of a title... That goal is all that and more.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I don't tink many bet on hosts to win the title after that 4-0 trashing in the group stage. Must be one of the weirdest paths to glory in major tournaments.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Very nice AFCON despite the result. Cool that it's less than a year and a half to the next one.

Ivory Coast players celebrating with a Morocco flag LMAAAAOOOOO LETSSSS GOOOOO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad