AFCON 2024; 13 January – 11 February 2024

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

The poor behaviour of journalists at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in the Ivory Coast has prompted the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to issue a new set of guidelines and tighten up media access following consultation with the local police.

Away from the on-pitch drama at AFCON, the actions of journalists have been an unhappy subplot, with abuse, fighting and near-nudity making headlines from the press box.

"There was someone dancing naked in the media tribune," a CAF media official said to assembled journalists at the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny in Abidjan on Friday, while explaining the new guidelines. "We cannot have that."

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
At first it looked like a clear handball and penalty for Mali, but then VAR check showed that the Mali player who took the shot, which hit the IC player's hand, came from an offside position to get hold of the ball. So correct decision not to give the PK.

But Ivory Coast are in disarray, and looks like a minute later Mali indeed does get a PK, Kossonou brought down a player inside the box.

But Fofana saves the PK. Quite a drama inside the first 15 mins.

Edit: Nightmare first half for Kossonou as he gets sent off in the 45th minute. Lots of yellows in general for the hosts.

Edit2: Ivory Coast born Nene's long range shot puts Mali ahead after 70 mins. The commentator said that Mali hasn't won against Ivory Coast since 1983.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Wow, 10-men IC are level with Mali, 90th minute goal. They had played well for the last 15 mins or so, thus can't say it was undeserved.

Edit: Talk about timely scoring, IC take the lead with a 120th min goal. Nice backheel direction by Diakite after a free kick and then a shot.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I NEVER DOUBTED HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I DEFINITELY DID NOT SHUT OFF THE TV AND ONLY TURN IT BACK ON AFTER THE ADINGRA GOAL XDXD
Great win. What’s up with Ousmane Diomande? Is there a reason he is dropped? May need him with Kossounou out

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Years ago I was arguing that FIFA should raise the number of subs, completely selfishly, because I felt like depth is really the advantage for Cote D'ivoire. We don't really have any superstars like we used to. If anything our best position is centerback. But we have a very consistent level of skill from 1-22. So it doesn't really matter who subs on, they have a high impact. And it's not that they're better than the guys they replaced, they're just as good as the guys they replaced but they have fresh legs against tired legs.

Obviously it's not going to win the day vs a powerhouse like Nigeria but I'm happy nonetheless. I've also been very impressed with Emerse Fae's coaching. I think it was really smart to sub out the yellow cards so that we didn't go down to 9 earlier. Gasset was a really good recruiter, he brought on board a lot of players that we had been gunning for for years without success. Getting Fofana was huge, he played very well today. But Fae is the better coach and I hope they give him the job after the tournament is over, regardless of what happens with DRC or a possible next game.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Maybe they were exhausted, but still a bit surprising that Cape Verde took off all their best attacking players before the end. Guess they're counting on for Bebe to produce a winner.

Reactions: Power Man

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Classic football scenario

Dominating team doesn’t capitalize on many opportunities, game goes to PK’s, regrets ensue

wait….

SA’s GK channeling his inner Grobelaar

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I love these Nigerian jerseys so much. Really considered buying one when they came out

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Captain Troost-Ekong scores from the spot after Osimhen was brought down.

Penalty kick was straight at the middle, so not best one, but as keeper Williams had dived to his left, the ball went in underneath him.

Edit: Nigeria getting closer to final, as Osimhen scores their 2nd on 84th minute.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Holy Christ, SA almost scored on a free kick, keeper saved it, follow-up effort went over the bar, 97th minute of a +6 tied 1-1

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Nigeria has collapsed and S.Africa have been playing their best football during the added time. Horrible miss from SA, shooting over when net was wide open.

Edit: Is Osimhen bad at penalties, a bit surprised he is taken off with 10 mins left of extra time. Maybe his replacement Moffi can produce something with fresh legs. The pace of the game has dropped hugely during extra time.

Edit2: Yes Moffi can.He gets a breakaway and is brought down. But is the foul inside the box or not?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad