NFL: AFC Playoff Picture

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I like chaos. The Titans don’t win any tie breaker against just the Steelers right?

Our resident experts are better equipped to answer this but from my understanding, it's the contrary. They need to be in a 9-7 or 8-8 tie (assuming conference record is the same) with the Steelers only and SOV seemingly is going to be difference in TENs favor. If a 3rd team or 4th team comes in at 8-8 too (Colts, Browns, Raiders being the candidates), then they are cooked.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Our resident experts are better equipped to answer this but from my understanding, it's the contrary. They need to be in a 9-7 or 8-8 tie (assuming conference record is the same) with the Steelers only and SOV seemingly is going to be difference in TENs favor. If a 3rd team or 4th team comes in at 8-8 too (Colts, Browns, Raiders being the candidates), then they are cooked.
Browns and Raiders are both still alive on their own as well, they just need more help.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I’m saying if they win today it opens up possibilities. For example if they pull this out and the Steelers lose then they control their own destiny. So it doesn’t mean nothing.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
With the now confirmed PIT loss, the Titans control their destiny even if they lose to NO. The tie-breaker is now in their favor. Win at HOU and they are in, even if PIT beats BAL. That's what we are saying Noodles.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is fun.

Oakland's long odds mostly included favorites winning, except the Steelers losing today to the Jets which I thought would never happen. Oakland has a reasonable chances now. Not likely but I wouldn't discount them at all

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Here's a chart next week for KC Loss tonight

KC Loss.png

And for KC Win

KC Win (1).png

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its a very realistic possibility for all of the above scenarios to work for Oakland.
All very possible. Be interesting to see how teams play it out. NFL tries to put games that impact each other in the same window.

Baltimore is the #1 seed. So, how many starters do they rest against Pitt who need to win to get #6 seed? Anyone who can make an injury worse should sit. Then it comes down to whether they believe they won't be rusty if guys have basically 2 bye weeks before their first playoff game. Injury risk vs rust, which against a good team will be hard to overcome a slow Q1 start.

NE needs to win to secure #2. KC can secure #2 if they win and NE loses. Houston can secure #3 if they win and KC loses. But, can't get a bye. Thus, the difference between Pitt/Tenn or Buffalo as your opponent. KC and NE play in the early window to decide #2 seed and the bye.

Pitt and Tenn play in the afternoon window. Ravens have nothing to play for. Houston may have nothing to play for if KC wins. Would be locked into #4 regardless. Could we see RG3 and McCarron start for Bal and Hou? But, it's a divisional opponent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Well, the door is open for the Stillers.......but can they do it with a clearly slumping Duck?

Age and importance are factors. There are guys who are nicked up as well. I’m sure they want to knock the Steelers out of the PO. Pitt could get in and upset the 3 seed, and thus play Baltimore in the next round. But Pitts offense does not scare anyone.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The other chart was bigger so I found a way to condense it. The image includes both unfortunately

Simplified NFL Scenarios.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad