ADSF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (3) Detroit Red Wings (Series 3-2 DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The Bishop tripping penalty in context with the Paquette interference call is insane. Either the player needs to steer clear far enough of the goalie or does not.

Both situations... a case can be made for both sides. The consistency is what irks me more than anything. My take is that while the goalie is not "fair game", the Paquette penalty should not happen because the Mrazek came out of the crease and made contact. Bishop was well within the crease and the player chose to skate into it. Neither Bishop's foot nor stick left the crease at any point.

Why do Mrazek and Tatar get protected on opposite ends of similar plays but Bishop and Paquette don't. Either both plays are GI or both are Tripping.

Bishop's trip was REALLY sketchy. I don't think there was a penalty there. However. .. I don't have a lot of sympathy because he opened the door for that call when he tackled Tatar. My god that was a stupid play. I'm sorry but if he started the game with the benefit of the doubt, he threw it away on that play.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Glendenning can shut down anyone.. So hes still pretty useful... They need to have Helm Datsyuk and Zetterberg all on one line I think. then have Sheahan Nyquist and Tatar (no defensive zone faceoff) and then whoever else can probably shut down whoever else.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Bishop's trip was REALLY sketchy. I don't think there was a penalty there. However. .. I don't have a lot of sympathy because he opened the door for that call when he tackled Tatar. My god that was a stupid play. I'm sorry but if he started the game with the benefit of the doubt, he threw it away on that play.

That tackle was lolworth, I'd be pissed about that one if I were a Red Wings fan. It definitely would have been a goal if he doesn't do that. The frustrating thing is that I think we had two defensemen standing in the crease doing absolutely nothing while Tatar peels off to that side.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That tackle was lolworth, I'd be pissed about that one if I were a Red Wings fan. It definitely would have been a goal if he doesn't do that. The frustrating thing is that I think we had two defensemen standing in the crease doing absolutely nothing while Tatar peels off to that side.

I wonder if you would be saying it was lolworth if you lost :p:

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Glendening has been important, but his defensive value surely goes down when the Bolts have last change. The one player we should be specifically talking about is Steven Stamkos. He's been beyond abysmal, and often a detriment to his team in a majority of his shifts. Not just the zero goals but turnovers and crap D as well. The captain and face of the franchise HAS to show up at some point. If he plays better, and scores a couple of goals, TB wins, if not, it's going to be a lot harder to predict...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only thing that worries me about Bishop in this series is his puck-handling hasn't been nearly as good as we're used to. Bish is damn near cocky with the puck because he knows he can hit his man every single teime, or actually do a little goalie deke on a defender. It gets scary to watch, but then you get used to it. After a while it feels like having a 3rd defenseman.

I don't know if Detroit has just been extra ready for him or what, but I've never seen him struggle so much with the puck as he has in this series.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The only thing that worries me about Bishop in this series is his puck-handling hasn't been nearly as good as we're used to. Bish is damn near cocky with the puck because he knows he can hit his man every single teime, or actually do a little goalie deke on a defender. It gets scary to watch, but then you get used to it. After a while it feels like having a 3rd defenseman.

I don't know if Detroit has just been extra ready for him or what, but I've never seen him struggle so much with the puck as he has in this series.

Yzerman taught us to not be afraid when a goalie is trying to play the puck, Just bum rush him

MichMase

Apr 22, 2015
gledening looked like he was at the chiropractor the way his head was getting twisted and wrenched.. Yea no penalty here......

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I like this strategy of just attacking the other teams best player and knocking him out of the game, while not ending up shorthanded.

I don't understand why its not used more often, and I really hope we use it every game from here on out

I completely agree. Glendenning shouldn't have attacked Johnson.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The moment the infraction happens, the play should be dead--Detroit has the puck. No goal.

Just curious, Smith is skating down the line without the puck, looking away, the Tampa player barrels into him and because he is stronger he interfered? Are both players not entitled to that ice. So falling down makes it a penalty? The Tampa player can actually see the direction of Smith something he cannot and they both spill to the ice. It is a no call, incidental contact.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Just curious, Smith is skating down the line without the puck, looking away, the Tampa player barrels into him and because he is stronger he interfered? Are both players not entitled to that ice. So falling down makes it a penalty? The Tampa player can actually see the direction of Smith something he cannot and they both spill to the ice. It is a no call, incidental contact.

Wait... You're serious here? He was not only looking right at him, he lifted his left arm up and extended his body towards Brown to make sure he got a piece of him. It was the most blatant interference I've ever seen.

That goal never should have counted.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wait... You're serious here? He was not only looking right at him, he lifted his left arm up to make sure he got a piece of Brown. It was the most blatant interference I've ever seen.

That goal never should have counted.

Now who is being serious? Worst interference you have ever seen is completely hyperbolic. Smith is entitled to ice while holding the line, what Brown was actually trying was the good old knock him in before the puck gets there. He was a bit late and lost on body contact where both were playing chicken. It is incidental contact.

Given NHL officials they might have called it if they thought it would actually create a scoring chance. That is really the argument they never allow that to lead to a legit scoring chance... More speaks to the officials and a part of why no whistle came is it didn't lead to a legit scoring chance, somehow a goal happened. But Smith is holding up and gets run into, he is stronger so he doesn't go down like he was shot.

It happens time to move on. Not that it really matters if I have learned one thing in this series, it is that we watch completely different games... Will leave it at that.

Expect a huge effort out of Detroit's leadership group tomorrow, they are going to need it.

Even series, Wings have won a game they shouldn't have according to most, Lightning have won a game they shouldn't have according to most, the other two went as designed. Far from the blowout some predicted and others warned you about....

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Now who is being serious? Worst interference you have ever seen is completely hyperbolic. Smith is entitled to ice while holding the line, what Brown was actually trying was the good old knock him in before the puck gets there. He was a bit late and lost on body contact where both were playing chicken. It is incidental contact.

Given NHL officials they might have called it if they thought it would actually create a scoring chance. That is really the argument they never allow that to lead to a legit scoring chance... More speaks to the officials and a part of why no whistle came is it didn't lead to a legit scoring chance, somehow a goal happened. But Smith is holding up and gets run into, he is stronger so he doesn't go down like he was shot.

It happens time to move on. Not that it really matters if I have learned one thing in this series, it is that we watch completely different games... Will leave it at that.

Expect a huge effort out of Detroit's leadership group tomorrow, they are going to need it.

Even series, Wings have won a game they shouldn't have according to most, Lightning have won a game they shouldn't have according to most, the other two went as designed. Far from the blowout some predicted and others warned you about....

He said "blatant" not "worst".

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
LMFAO. Absolutely hilarious rationalization through the prism of "My Side Bias".

See what you want, I don't care. I hate the play where a guy realizes his team is caught and tries to push the guy offside. I hate it when the Wings attempt it. You can see it anyway you want, I have 20,000+ posts with minimal bias if you're concerned with that.

Biases exist, it is human nature. Not sure how you whistle that. My guess is normal NHL official does if he thinks it will lead to a legit chance which it shouldn't have and why they didn't. But it is always interesting which guy is entitled to the ice. They ran into each other, he is straddling the line and basically wins the collision because he is stronger. I don't think that is a penalty and if Brown succeeds in whipping him into the zone to cause an offside you wouldn't be calling for a penalty it would be the same incidental contact.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Best of three, the Wings need to take advantage of their goalie and coaching edge and find a way to steal one again in Tampa.

They could use a big PP game out of the second best unit in the league, that is becoming a real problem for the Wings, they should be taking better advantage of it and have not.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Again ever.... That is a long-time... Sorry not close to the most blatant or worst interference ever, not close, choose whatever wording you want both are flat wrong.

That "he's ever seen". Not ever, as in the history of hockey. Seriously just stop. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't matter what wording any of us used, you'd read what you wanted from them apparently.

Smith went out of his way to interfere with Brown on the back check in order to allow the shot on goal. Brown is just about as fast as Tyler Johnson, only has zero hands. With the proper call on that play, the goal never happens. Easy. There was no incidental contact. That's an even more absurd assessment of the play than IS's statement of it being the most blatant interference he'd ever seen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That "he's ever seen". Not ever, as in the history of hockey. Seriously just stop. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't matter what wording any of us used, you'd read what you wanted from them apparently.

Smith went out of his way to interfere with Brown on the back check in order to allow the shot on goal. Brown is just about as fast as Tyler Johnson, only has zero hands. With the proper call on that play, the goal never happens. Easy. There was no incidental contact. That's an even more absurd assessment of the play than IS's statement of it being the most blatant interference he'd ever seen.

Ever is long-time, pretty much for anybody that chooses to sign up and post around here. Sorry if that is the worst/blatant you have seen it is beyond hyperbolic in nature to use that in my opinion. I can read into that, but there is an agreed upon nature of what "ever" means. I guess in terms of this scenario without being mean I can then ask just how much hockey has actually been watched if this qualifies as ever? Not a put down but an honest question, this is extremely tame in terms of the situation and how it unfolded, it is something that happens several times a season really a couple times a month bare minimum, generally with absolutely no call whatsoever.

Smith went out of his way to keep the play onside, the result was a collision. Curious is Brown allowed to contact Smith, he makes no attempt to avoid contact whatsoever. Smith at least has a defense in terms of trying to toe the line so the entry is not offside.

It is a nothing play, you won. If Bishop doesn't spend time hitting the puck at his own net not once but twice there is nothing to this play.

Collisions at the blue-line are not the least bit atypical at the NHL level, there is a reason this particular kind of play is let go a lot. Who is entitled to that ice? The player isn't trying to overtly gain a massive advantage when his objective is to keep his skates on one side and a collision is likely to force the thing offside. Lucky for him Brown isn't a strong player. Ultimately it wasn't enough anyway, but yeah I don't see the most blatant or worst interference ever... Sorry just don't I see a play you were likely to witness 20 times a year (probably half being your player at the offensive line and half being your player the defensive player at the line) when watching your favorite team as some crazy scenario.

Last edited:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

No what Brown was trying to do, and was about to do successfully, is catch up to the Wings player carrying the puck on a hard back check.

That is until he was blasted from the side. It was interference.

Going into this series I said it. Detroit pulls interference picks and holds and hooks more than any team in the league. It's not close. They have it down to an art form. For whatever reason they very rarely get called on it. So it's understandable it's a shocking and confusing time when Detroit gets called for one of these interference calls because you just don't know what that penalty is. But for the love of God, own it man. Own that that was a BLATANT(does not mean ever in the history of) interference and the shot and resulting goal never should have counted.

There is video proof that shows everything you are trying to say to explain your agenda on the play is unequivocally incorrect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No what Brown was trying to do, and was about to do successfully, is catch up to the Wings player carrying the puck on a hard back check.

That is until he was blasted from the side. It was interference.

Going into this series I said it. Detroit pulls interference picks and holds and hooks more than any team in the league. It's not close. They have it down to an art form. For whatever reason they very rarely get called on it. So it's understandable it's a shocking and confusing time when Detroit gets called for one of these interference calls because you just don't know what that penalty is. But for the love of God, own it man. Own that that was a BLATANT(does not mean ever in the history of) interference and the shot and resulting goal never should have counted.

There is video proof that shows everything you are trying to say to explain your agenda on the play is unequivocally incorrect.

:laugh: Disagreement isn't an agenda... Curious what did you make of a player making contact in the neutral zone and causing a player to go down at center ice for a clean breakaway in game 2 did you own it?

Glad Eddie O has sold everyone on this. For the record the best team in the NHL at subtle interference if you want to call it that is Chicago right now. It wasn't called a penalty because it wasn't one in my opinion, I will "own it" when it makes sense to do so.

Interference is like holding in the NFL. If it was actually called to the rule book it would be a jarring experience for all. It would be nice for them to do it but it isn't happening.

Collisions happen, this was a hockey collision. You see it different congrats. By the way a weak Andersson wrist shot is getting released regardless. It is kind of what he does, whether Brown is on his right hip or not.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
:laugh: Disagreement isn't an agenda... Curious what did you make of a player making contact in the neutral zone and causing a player to go down at center ice for a clean breakaway in game 2 did you own it?

Glad Eddie O has sold everyone on this. For the record the best team in the NHL at subtle interference if you want to call it that is Chicago right now. It wasn't called a penalty because it wasn't one in my opinion, I will "own it" when it makes sense to do so.

Interference is like holding in the NFL. If it was actually called to the rule book it would be a jarring experience for all. It would be nice for them to do it but it isn't happening.

Collisions happen, this was a hockey collision. You see it different congrats. By the way a weak Andersson wrist shot is getting released regardless. It is kind of what he does, whether Brown is on his right hip or not.

So you're going to compare this to the Johnson goal? You me a the one where DeKeyser tried to interfere with Kucherov to slow a 2 on 1 down and didn't realize Johnsons speed and when he did he fell over trying to pivot towards him? That one?

And the play would be blown dead so him getting a shot off anyway is irrelevant.

Hilarious you bring up yet another attempted interference by Detroit to defend the blatant interference play we are discussing. :laugh: Can't make this stuff up.

EDIT: Also I'm so damn tired of this rhetoric from Detroit fans about oh Eddie O has everyone brainwashed. Maybe, just maybe, most other non red wing fans see the exact same thing and have formed their own opinion based on that. Get over yourselves.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I expect to see Johnson on Datsyuk a ton. Not sure what Datsyuk is going to do about it with the bum wheel, but he better figure something out because that is coming in heavy doses tomorrow. Wondering if Datsyuk being targeted will light a fire under him... It will be strange to see but I think Cooper would be foolish not to look for that matchup after the end of Game 4.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So you're going to compare this to the Johnson goal? You me a the one where DeKeyser tried to interfere with Kucherov to slow a 2 on 1 down and didn't realize Johnsons speed and when he did he fell over trying to pivot towards him? That one?

And the play would be blown dead so him getting a shot off anyway is irrelevant.

Hilarious you bring up yet another attempted interference by Detroit to defend the blatant interference play we are discussing. :laugh: Can't make this stuff up.

EDIT: Also I'm so damn tired of this rhetoric from Detroit fans about oh Eddie O has everyone brainwashed. Maybe, just maybe, most other non red wing fans see the exact same thing and have formed their own opinion based on that. Get over yourselves.

Thank you the exact assessment of the play I was looking for.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So the defensive player skates over, contact happens he goes down and nothing comes of it. Because both guys were entitled to ice and it wasn't deemed enough many Wings fans were mystified but it stands, such is the nature of hockey.

On your edit it is more the preposterous idea they are that much better at something everyone in the league does. That or the next step of there is a league endorsed agenda to protect this. Are they better than most, absolutely, of course that is within the bounds of how the game is played and is actually really a hallmark of good possession teams. Anywhere you find a dominant possession team this follows. A part of what makes Wings fans laugh now is they aren't necessarily that dominant of a puck possession team so the tagline doesn't fit but it persists anyway.

People go on and on about it. It isn't unlike how Minnesota and New Jersey heard about the trap long after it had moved on from a dominant part of their repertoire and consistent deployment of it.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Thank you the exact assessment of the play I was looking for.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So the defensive player skates over, contact happens he goes down and nothing comes of it. Because both guys were entitled to ice and it wasn't deemed enough many Wings fans were mystified but it stands, such is the nature of hockey.

On your edit it is more the preposterous idea they are that much better at something everyone in the league does. That or the next step of there is a league endorsed agenda to protect this. Are they better than most, absolutely, of course that is within the bounds of how the game is played and is actually really a hallmark of good possession teams. Anywhere you find a dominant possession team this follows. A part of what makes Wings fans laugh now is they aren't necessarily that dominant of a puck possession team so the tagline doesn't fit but it persists anyway.

People go on and on about it. It isn't unlike how Minnesota and New Jersey heard about the trap long after it had moved on from a dominant part of their repertoire and consistent deployment of it.

The two plays are completely different. Detroit player initiated contact on both plays. The fact that you feel they are remotely similar is laughable at best.

And it's weird. Because TB is an elite possession team. Better than Detroit in most metrics in fact. Yet no one says anything about them setting picks and interference plays every 5 seconds. Odd.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
real talk- If you asked Detriot fans at the start of the series that this series would end up a best of three, they would take it every time. TBay fans? not so much.:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad