ADSF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (3) Detroit Red Wings (Series 3-2 DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm one of the 70%. Can't believe that TB is doing everything to lose this series. I mean, Detroit should NEVER be disregarded, but for all intents and purposes, TB really should beat them. I mean c'mon, is Mrazek really God's gift to the NHL? With absolutely NO playoff experience? Even the hamburglar has come down to earth. It's about longevity, and apparently Detroit has it going on over TB's supposed talent. Wow. It's not over, but beating Detroit in game 6 should give them automatic game 7 win. But, I wouldn't bet on them winning game 6, not now way, no how.

Mrazek is a franchise goalie and future top 10 goalie in the league. Tampa has the same in Vasilevskiy. But this is not out of nowhere, people tried to tell you when he got the reigns that he was a real deal goalie and the Lightning should be very concerned. Would it be his time yet??? Well he is a big game goalie, but the consistency has actually kept Tampa in the series, it really should actually be over.

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015
Funny how the narrative changes to fit your argument. I remember the countless Wings fans in here after game 1 talking about how Tampa wasnt testing Mrazek at all and it was all weak perimeter shots. Nothing dangerous.

Now he's got some shutouts but he's making these miraculous saves against the most dangerous of shots. Lol.

Yes, a shutout is a shutout, good on him. He's being helped by the D in front of him, but he's also being helped by Tampa as well.

You're right but your avatar won't allow anyone to take it the way you want.

We can't have it both ways and I 100% agree with you.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Funny how the narrative changes to fit your argument. I remember the countless Wings fans in here after game 1 talking about how Tampa wasnt testing Mrazek at all and it was all weak perimeter shots. Nothing dangerous.

Now he's got some shutouts but he's making these miraculous saves against the most dangerous of shots. Lol.

Yes, a shutout is a shutout, good on him. He's being helped by the D in front of him, but he's also being helped by Tampa as well.

I think to everyone's surprise it's not so much on Tamp but the wings as a whole play a team defensive game. I don't really know what happened with Marty but it look's as if that was a bad deal for the bolts. Pardon the pun but he was your guys Stevie Y.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
The main reason this is 3-2 Detroit is Babcock >>>> Cooper.

It is frustrating to see Cooper keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Then when something works it feels like he changes it up for no apparent reason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think to everyone's surprise it's not so much on Tamp but the wings as a whole play a team defensive game. I don't really know what happened with Marty but it look's as if that was a bad deal for the bolts. Pardon the pun but he was your guys Stevie Y.

Marty was leading them to no playoffs... Marty isn't Stevie Y, he cannot sniff Stevie Y's jockstrap, I hope that quitter wins nothing.... Unfortunate he already has some accolades and a cup through Vinny and Richards.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
I mean c'mon, is Mrazek really God's gift to the NHL? With absolutely NO playoff experience? Even the hamburglar has come down to earth.
Hammond came out of nowhere and had mediocre/poor stats everywhere else he played. Mrazek has been considered one of the top goalie prospects for the last 4/5 years and has put up great numbers at every level. Bad comparison.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

That's what I'm saying. Detroit's team defense has been a lot bigger factor in shutting us down than Mrazek. St. Louis wanted out and he would've been gone in a couple of years either way. The only guy who's missing him is Stamkos and if you want to be a franchise center, you have to adapt.

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015
I mean c'mon, is Mrazek really God's gift to the NHL? With absolutely NO playoff experience? Even the hamburglar has come down to earth.

Do you know who he is? I try not to be a homer but for years now he's been talked about as being one of the best. He's young and as such he will have bad games here and there but he bounces back when he does which is a great sign. He could possibly be one of the best goalies in the NHL in a few years. Prospected at least a top 7-10 goalie in the league.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Btw, it's pretty funny some Detroit fans want Babcock gone. I would love to have a coach who made some adjustments during a playoff series aside from possibly chewing another brand of gum. So far, Cooper has done nothing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Btw, it's pretty funny some Detroit fans want Babcock gone. I would love to have a coach who made some adjustments during a playoff series aside from possibly chewing another brand of gum. So far, Cooper has done nothing.

Understand the criticism of Cooper. Babcock shouldn't have the reported salary or personnel power he is rumored to be pushing for. He looked just as clueless as Cooper does now while good coaches in Trotz, McLellan and Julien handed it to him good.

Also Jeff Blashill is an awesome coach so it factors in with the Babcock re-up. I won't kill a Babock re-sign, I also won't shake in my boots if McLellan or Blashill are coing next year, especially if Babcock wants way too much control

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Understand the criticism of Cooper. Babcock shouldn't have the reported salary or personnel power he is rumored to be pushing for. He looked just as clueless as Cooper does now while good coaches in Trotz, McLellan and Julien handed it to him good.

Also Jeff Blashill is an awesome coach so it factors in with the Babcock re-up. I won't kill a Babock re-sign, I also won't shake in my boots if McLellan or Blashill are coing next year, especially if Babcock wants way too much control

AHL coaches don't always translate so well into being NHL coaches. I would kill to have a coach like Babcock. It took almost five games for Cooper to move Stamkos off the first line. I'm not saying Cooper is a bad coach as his regular season record speaks for its self but his adjustments in two playoffs series so far has been minimal. He scratched one of our best players in Nesterov for ****s sake to get Morrow and Namestnikov in who both have been complete non-factors for this team.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Rangers fan here. I'm one of the 70%. Can't believe that TB is doing everything to lose this series. I mean, Detroit should NEVER be disregarded, but for all intents and purposes, TB really should beat them. I mean c'mon, is Mrazek really God's gift to the NHL? With absolutely NO playoff experience? Even the hamburglar has come down to earth. It's about longevity, and apparently Detroit has it going on over TB's supposed talent. Wow. It's not over, but beating Detroit in game 6 should give them automatic game 7 win. But, I wouldn't bet on them winning game 6, not now way, no how.

P.S. Really wanted TB in Eastern finals. They had our number when we didn't have our game together. Even if the Rangers won this year's cup.....I'm sure some people would say they wouldn't have beaten TB (just like last year, that we wouldn't have beaten Montreal with Price) .......don't wanna hear that. Bring it.

Should? Why because Detroit slumped towards the end of the season?

Detroit is every bit as good as TB IMO. They were in the hunt for first in the division up until the end. TB was not an automatic win, and I'm glad my team is making this a series. I hope they continue to play well and close it out monday night. TB isn't losing it, Detroit is simply playing better. Faster, better along the boards, tremendous backchecking, special units, the Wings clogging up the neutral zone, etc.

TB only outplayed Detroit in G2 and that was due to the Wings' defensemen playing like ****.

And if TB wins G6, it's not an given they win G7. Get real. TB was supposed to cripple the Wings tonight after their collapse in G4. Yeah, look at that outcome.

Also, Mrazek is a stud. He's won everywhere he's been. Hammond was on a streak and that's all it was. A streak. Andersson is the better goalie in Ottawa.

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015

He is beginning to want to much power and control. IMO, if you're a coach you coach and that's it. He's not a Pete Carroll. I'll gladly take Blashill or McLellan in his place if Babcock thinks he needs GM duties also. Babcock is no Scotty Bowman.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Rangers fan here. I'm one of the 70%. Can't believe that TB is doing everything to lose this series. I mean, Detroit should NEVER be disregarded, but for all intents and purposes, TB really should beat them. I mean c'mon, is Mrazek really God's gift to the NHL? With absolutely NO playoff experience? Even the hamburglar has come down to earth. It's about longevity, and apparently Detroit has it going on over TB's supposed talent. Wow. It's not over, but beating Detroit in game 6 should give them automatic game 7 win. But, I wouldn't bet on them winning game 6, not now way, no how.

P.S. Really wanted TB in Eastern finals. They had our number when we didn't have our game together. Even if the Rangers won this year's cup.....I'm sure some people would say they wouldn't have beaten TB (just like last year, that we wouldn't have beaten Montreal with Price) .......don't wanna hear that. Bring it.

Tampa likely has the edge in talent. But this series was a toss-up from the start. I can't speak for all Detroit fans but I thought they could win it and they still might.

To me, outside the Rangers, any team can beat anyone in the East. That could certainly change but that's how I see it now.

Part of the reason why so many have wavered on Detroit is that they slumped the past two months and had little confidence. Some of that I attribute to Howard rushing back from injury and not playing up to his capabilities.

Now that Mrazek has established himself as the guy for now, they're rebuilding that lost confidence and playing a bit more consistent.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Do you know who he is? I try not to be a homer but for years now he's been talked about as being one of the best. He's young and as such he will have bad games here and there but he bounces back when he does which is a great sign. He could possibly be one of the best goalies in the NHL in a few years. Prospected at least a top 7-10 goalie in the league.

Lots of goalies with similar credentials haven't made it. Nothing is guaranteed. But those signs you've mentioned......are good ones.

Hammond came out of nowhere and had mediocre/poor stats everywhere else he played. Mrazek has been considered one of the top goalie prospects for the last 4/5 years and has put up great numbers at every level. Bad comparison.

Okay, bad comprison. Awesome that you have a new goalie finally breaking through. Just wondering if he's that good......what took so long? Waiting until the PO's? Dangerous ground unproven, that's all I'm saying. If you haven't noticed, the Rangers have their own "2nd string" goaltender which saved their behinds this season, if not for him.....Presidents trophy would've been "Vice Presidents" at best.

btw, wasnt ragging on Mrazek per sé, more so that TB seems to have not really tested this kid as much as they should be. That is a testament to the Wings good team defensive play. See ya' in a couple of weeks.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Should? Why because Detroit slumped towards the end of the season?

Detroit is every bit as good as TB IMO. They were in the hunt for first in the division up until the end. TB was not an automatic win, and I'm glad my team is making this a series. I hope they continue to play well and close it out monday night. TB isn't losing it, Detroit is simply playing better. Faster, better along the boards, tremendous backchecking, special units, the Wings clogging up the neutral zone, etc.

TB only outplayed Detroit in G2 and that was due to the Wings' defensemen playing like ****.

And if TB wins G6, it's not an given they win G7. Get real.TB was supposed to cripple the Wings tonight after their collapse in G4. Yeah, look at that outcome.

Also, Mrazek is a stud. He's won everywhere he's been. Hammond was on a streak and that's all it was. A streak. Andersson is the better goalie in Ottawa.

I am getting real. Kudos for coming back and winning game 5, after the fallout in game 4. Honestly, I didn't think you'd win. But, doing it TWICE in one series, would really be something else. Please, for everybody's sake just win game 6 at the Joe. I wanted TB, but an original matchup will be awesome as well.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
game-5-red-wings-at-tampa-bay-lightning-4-25-15-4f14a8021c03f61d.jpg

What kind of idiots make these signs?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lots of goalies with similar credentials haven't made it. Nothing is guaranteed. But those signs you've mentioned......are good ones.

Okay, bad comprison. Awesome that you have a new goalie finally breaking through. Just wondering if he's that good......what took so long? Waiting until the PO's? Dangerous ground unproven, that's all I'm saying. If you haven't noticed, the Rangers have their own "2nd string" goaltender which saved their behinds this season, if not for him.....Presidents trophy would've been "Vice Presidents" at best.

btw, wasnt ragging on Mrazek per sé, more so that TB seems to have not really tested this kid as much as they should be. That is a testament to the Wings good team defensive play. See ya' in a couple of weeks.

Mrazek is 23 years old. what do you mean what took so long.?

Depends, Do you call a 93.7 save% good? Do you call backpacking a team without a starter and their backup "at the time, Hes not anymore hes done with Detroit" Good?

Do you call Mrazek, Possibly getting farther then Howard EVER has in the NHL playoffs good? If Mrazek gets to the 2nd round, Then Howards playoff resume looks like crap.. 23 year old rookie goaltender gets as far as Howard ever has.. And Howard had Lidstrom for awhile. And Dats and Z still in their prime.

Mrazek 23, Has won the ahl CALDER CUP (in his 1st year) and the world juniors for the Czech, or something, 2nd place? Idk if it was the world juniors. Something like that cause he played for the Czech.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Why are soo many people so surprised to see the Wings doing well? Because they had a mediocre last month of the regular season? People on this site are so shortsighted.

Datsyuk was out for that entire last month - the Wings best offensive and defensive player, both of their starting goalies were injured and when Howard came back.... he wasn't playing well. Prior to that last month, the Wings were right there with the rest of the top teams in the East, fighting for first overall.

Sometimes I wonder if all the anti-Wings predictions just comes from wishful thinking rather than an actual analysis of the game. I'm guessing a lot of the brilliant folks predicting Lightning in 4 or 5 games are the same people who predict the Wings missing the playoffs year after year, and are constantly wrong year after year.

The series is far from over, but all the people that are so surprised to see the Wings doing well apparently haven't been paying attention to hockey for very long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad