Add One Past Oiler To The Current Roster

Pick One Oiler Alumni To Join The Current Roster

• Total voters

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
I mean, you'd have two of the top three most skilled hockey players of all time playing on the same team if you add Gretzky. Pronger does not make a bigger difference than that. Rolling out Gretzky then McDavid means you are dominating play for like 45-50 minutes a game.

Reactions: nabob

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Gretzky is a 150 points player in today's game on his own. You add McDavid and Drai to the mix. He becomes more than a 150 points. McDavid and Drai's # also goes thru the roof.

Gretzky ~ 180+ points
McDavid ~160+ points
Drai ~ 150+ points
RNH ~ 100+ points

Which team has the defense to stop this type of video games #s?

Add Pronger the Oilers becomes a cup contender. Add Gretzky the Oilers becomes a super team.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think Coffey is being underrated by many. He fits tremendously in today's game. Look at the impact that kids like Makar, Hughes and Dahlin. Compared to a prime Coffey there is a huge gap. Coffey was also under rated in his own end. He was as good as anyone in other than possibly Orr at getting the puck out of the zone. And you can't get scored if the puck is in the other teams end (unless of course you have Salo back in goal).

I cast no shade on Coffey... As a goalie, I appreciate the guy who can just skate it out (until he doesn't). But I also appreciate the "safe play 100% of the time" type of defender, which is what Pronger was. Since there are precious few talents that can do what Coffey did, I tend to value "safe play 100% of the time" types since they are more reliable and everyone can do it.

What makes me appreciate Pronger is that what was "safe 100% of the time" for him was so different than other traditional stay-at-home guys since he had such vision, strength and passing. He could hold the puck that much longer and still make a safe play... it gave him an extended window to create offense from behind his own blue line that very few have.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Prime Gretzky rotating with Mcdavid would mean the Oilers control about 75% of the game. I can’t imagine the tilt in the ice when they both brought their A game, not to mention the internal competition that would drive.

I have been watching the 2006 playoff run again and Pronger literally seemed to play an entire game an absolutely control the game when he was on. Arguably the reason that team made it to a almost cup. He would be huge on our backend.

Roloson was also insane that playoff run, but the team helped him a tonne too, but also a solid add to our group right now.

Pronger would fit the best and be a game changer. But anyone saying they wouldn’t take a prime greatest player of all time would be ludicrous.
Agree Gretzky

All those players improve the whole team, but #99 is simply the best. I lean toward Pronger at #2.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah, you might be right. As I said, I'd have to think about it longer than I can give to it this morning, lol. A top-6 that has Gretzky, McDavid, Drai, and RNH really would be something to see. Is that better than Gretzky, Kurri, Messier and Anderson? Hmmm, I don't know about that. Gretzky = Gretzky, McDavid >= Messier, Drai >= Kurri? (I'm not sure about that one), Anderson > RNH.
To be honest I think the comparison is

Gretzky vs Gretzky

McDavid > Messier And I think the gap here is bigger than many might expect. Messier became Messier through longevity. Over the first five years it's Connor by a huge margin.

Draisailt= > Kurri This one is tougher becuase Kurri was such a fit with Gretzky.

Anderson > RNH.

What needs to be considered is that with Gretzky and McDavid as your top two centers you have one or the other on the ice for close to 40 minutes. I'd also like to see Gretzky in today's game with 3 on three overtime. The 80's Oilers were nearly unstopable 4 vs 4 to the point where the NHL changed the rules prior to the 85'-86 season just t make it more fair. Of course Coffey had a lot to do with that but I suspect that Gretzky, Draisaitl and Barrie would be a challenge for most teams. With McDavid/ Nuge/ ??? as your next in line.

Nuge Gretzky Yamamoto
Kahun McDavid Draisaitl

That second line is now going to see second and third pairing defensmen.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I cast no shade on Coffey... As a goalie, I appreciate the guy who can just skate it out (until he doesn't). But I also appreciate the "safe play 100% of the time" type of defender, which is what Pronger was. Since there are precious few talents that can do what Coffey did, I tend to value "safe play 100% of the time" types since they are more reliable and everyone can do it.

What makes me appreciate Pronger is that what was "safe 100% of the time" for him was so different than other traditional stay-at-home guys since he had such vision, strength and passing. He could hold the puck that much longer and still make a safe play... it gave him an extended window to create offense from behind his own blue line that very few have.

I love Pronger's game so I appreciate your position. But I still think that you go with the guy who was in the top two all time offensivley from the back end. He would make guys like McDavid and Leon far more difficult to manange. In today's game a great offensive defenseman can really disrupt team's defensive systems.

But in any case, for me it is still Gretzky without any hesitation.

Reactions: bucks_oil

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I love Pronger's game so I appreciate your position. But I still think that you go with the guy who was in the top two all time offensivley from the back end. He would make guys like McDavid and Leon far more difficult to manange. In today's game a great offensive defenseman can really disrupt team's defensive systems.

But in any case, for me it is still Gretzky without any hesitation.

Well, you can't go wrong with Gretzky.

Though something tells me this team could still find a way to rack up 130 points in the regular season, win the President's trophy, sweep every series until the cup final and find a way to lose game 7 even with Gretzky. ;)

Same with Coffey.

With Pronger, I'd have confidence for them to win that game, just based on complementary skill sets. (and by that I mean our weak D and goaltending need Pronger and all that he'd bring to team defensive attitudes)

[and yes, I do feel shame not voting for Gretzky... I swear I would with any other team in our history... perhaps the best approach is to pick him and trade McDavid for D ;) ]

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well, you can't go wrong with Gretzky.

Though something tells me this team could still find a way to rack up 130 points in the regular season, win the President's trophy, sweep every series until the cup final and find a way to lose game 7 even with Gretzky. ;)

Same with Coffey.

With Pronger, I'd have confidence for them to win that game, just based on complementary skill sets. (and by that I mean our weak D and goaltending need Pronger and all that he'd bring to team defensive attitudes)

[and yes, I do feel shame not voting for Gretzky... I swear I would with any other team in our history... perhaps the best approach is to pick him and trade McDavid for D ;) ]
Between Gretzky and Coffey, they won a lot of cups and pretty much everything else. Pronger won one cup. I'd take my chances with #99. :)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Between Gretzky and Coffey, they won a lot of cups and pretty much everything else. Pronger won one cup. I'd take my chances with #99. :)

My answer is entirely couched in the OP's question... for this team. No question Coffey and Gretzky are the better players historically.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Any choice other than peak Gretzky would be hard to imagine. But even if you wanted a defenseman. How is Coffey not the choice? As good as Pronger was, Coffey was simply better.
Love me some Pronger but the thought of silky smooth Coffey with McDrai is enticing.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
probably cause we have McDavid
our defense is below average

Gretz has more Assists then any other player in history has points.

Hes so far ahead of anyone else its crazy.

But I guess this team has below average defence we better go with Pronger, might be the dumbest logic I have ever heard on this board.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Ottawa had way more success than they should have because Karlsson was such a weapon. In the 2016-2017 playoffs he palyed on one leg and almost took Ottawa to the finals losing game 7 to a Pen's team that went on win it all. That team's #1 c was Kyle Turris. Coffey at his peak was Karlsson on steriods. Coffey scored 48 goals and had 138 points. That season was the best I have ever watched from a defenseman. And while it would be easy to dismiss because of the Oilers fire power, he also had 40 goals and 126 points to go with a +52 on the 83-84 team at the ripe old age of 22. Coffey and Orr shared the top ten highest point totals for defensemen all time with five each.

You should see who was centering for the Oiler when we went to the cup finals, and then see how poorly we did when Pronger left.

I love Coffey. I have his autographed rookie card.
Dude was one of my all-time favorite players. I completely understand what he brings to the table.

It's just I think Pronger had the highest peak of any Dman since Orr.

There's not a single Dman in the last 40 years that I would take over Pronger at his peak.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How could anyone pick Pronger over Gretzky?? Yes our team needs a stud D but picking anyone over Gretzky is like drafting for need over BPA. Our top 2 lines would completely destroy other teams 5x5.

RNH-Gretzky-Kassian
Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Yamamoto

You don't need a Pronger when the puck will be in the other opponents zone for 60+% of the game.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

But I guess this team has below average defence we better go with Pronger, might be the dumbest logic I have ever heard on this board.
yeah, Gretz is the best player of all time

doesn't change the fact we need defense...or we are the Gretzky-era LA Kings

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I mean if we're adding Greatzky we might as well trade McDavid for defensive help then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad